Help needed: what is this thing next to the battery?

:
Mazda 5 1.8i TX 2005
Hi

I am new to cars and the forum too, I have recently bought my first car a Mazda 5 1.8i TX 2005 petrol from Austria from its first owner. I am very happy with it however as it is 11 years old it has got some minor issues. I have just checked on the battery for the first time when I removed the cover I have seen there there is something extra is connected to the battery and I believe it was not connected very well in general. I am talking about this little black box close to the battery with the red blinking light on top and a red and grey cable running to battery. My guess would be some sort of alarm system but I am not certain. Can someone help me please? Please see below pic(uhm)

14287744_10154417020538529_611722928_n.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Mo

That does not look like it has been wired up properly. Did the prev. owner just tuck the wires into the post clamps?
No idea what it does. Does your car still start if you temp. disconnect that contraption? *g

I guess it's a marten repeller. I happen to have installed one of those in my 5 too, after some animal liked the insulation on the hood too much.
Works like a charm, haven't found further damage after installation.

Primergy: why do you think it hasn't been wired properly? I installed it about the same way and never had a remark from my dealership.

Last edited:
Well, it comes straight off the battery with its own fuse, so its fully isolated from the electrical system, so unless it drains the battery, probably no foul keeping it or removing it.

Wow, who would have thought. It does makes sense when I bought the car the only thing was very visible that something happened to my hood insulation too. I guess same story here, some animal nibbled on it. How much did you spend on the new insulation? I am thinking I should replace it...

Thanks again for all replies.

It was a little over 100 euro's new. I installed it myself; just carefully pry out the plastic tabs so you ca reuse them.
I guess a junkyard may be able to offer you a used one for a lot less.

Back