Two week old CX 5 GT. Dead battery

The accessory plugs in the centre console box cannot be left energised with the power off so Mazda aren't that stupid.

oh yes they are,

try it now...... plug in any cigarette plug accessory in the armrest power outlet or the trunk power outlet,
the device will still drain power even when the car is off

even more stupid, Mazda took out the only switched cigarette outlet in the front dash for 2016+ models, only recourse for 2016+ owners is to add a "tap a fuse" if they want a switched cigarette outlet.

Last edited:
oh yes they are,

try it now...... plug in any cigarette plug accessory in the armrest power outlet or the trunk power outlet,
the device will still drain power even when the car is off

even more stupid, Mazda took out the only switched cigarette outlet in the front dash for 2016+ models, only recourse for 2016+ owners is to add a "tap a fuse" if they want a switched cigarette outlet.

My front and rear cameras are powered off the accessory plugs - one in the centre console box and one in the trunk wall liner. They both power up in the accessory position of the ignition and both power down when off.

My front and rear cameras are powered off the accessory plugs - one in the centre console box and one in the trunk wall liner. They both power up in the accessory position of the ignition and both power down when off.
Do you have a 2015 or older CX-5? blackcx5 is correct. At least in the US, Mazda made a change on 2016+ and both cigarette lighter power outlets are now un-switched from factory.

Okay, so I 'think' I found what happened... GAXIBM (post above). Was very close.

Today when I parked in the driveway I put it in neutral, set the parking brake, turned it off by pressing the button. It told me to 'place in park'. So I did, placed it in Park, and the dash and infotainment system stayed on. I had to press the start button again to turn the electronics off.

So I'm believing this is what caused the drain. I was unaware of this.

Yes . Power of fin neutral is how you keep the ig on without turning the motor off and then pushing the button again

Also, make sure one checks the fluid level. When I picked u My CX5, I discovered fluid levels were very low in the battery. A real good way to kill a battery. I got a replacement battery from Mazda, and it too was very lowon fluid and the dealer misinformed me n saying the technician checked the levels. I checked it again 3 months later and again it needed more fluid. (I live in a desert climate.)

Back