2013 CX-9 horrible mpg, getting 15 mpg combined, is this normal ?

:
2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD
how are people getting 20 mpg combined ?? are you 2007-2015 guys getting that high combined ?
please be honest http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-9/2013

I don't have a lead foot, there is a lot of stop and go traffic where I live, but 15 mpg is ridiculous,
I'm embarassed to have the INFO screen show MPG when I have passengers, I switch it to range left , LOL

Last edited:
In the city I get 12-13 mpg. On a long trip is where I get better gas mileage around 24 with ac on and doing 70

In the city I get 12-13 mpg. On a long trip is where I get better gas mileage around 24 with ac on and doing 70

thanks kornholio, so I'm not alone, I thought I was the only one, mine only gets 12 -13 also in heavy city traffic.

I would average over 20 from time to time but that would be with primarily highway driving. If you're stuck in town, 15 or 16 is pretty much what you get. (I had AWD. FWD may be a bit better.) I replaced my CX-9 with a Durango and now get much better mileage. Solid stop and go is more likely to be 16-18 but I'm averaging over 20 with every tank and have gotten 23-25 if I stay 80%+ on the highway.

I had a 2008 GT and got about 24mpg on the highway (70-75mph). Tried slower speeds but didn't seem to improve. Got right at 20mpg city. With the 2015 GT it started out about 16-18mpg but at 30K miles I am back to 20mpg city and about 24mpg highway. Same engine both GT's non-AWD.

I had a 2008 GT and got about 24mpg on the highway (70-75mph). Tried slower speeds but didn't seem to improve. Got right at 20mpg city. With the 2015 GT it started out about 16-18mpg but at 30K miles I am back to 20mpg city and about 24mpg highway. Same engine both GT's non-AWD.

ah, this makes sense, FWD has less drivetrain drag than AWD drag coming from transfer case and long drive shaft.

we've had our GT AWD for almost 5000 miles now and i think the real-world numbers are more like 19 city/25 highway/21 combined. my wife does a combo of suburban and local highway driving (probably 60/40 split and she doesn't intentionally try to save gas as much as i do (i try to stay off the gas pedal as much as possible- habit from my hypermiling hybrid days). we did a roadtrip from NJ to SC and we were averaging 25-26 mpg for the most part but i used a lot of cruise control and tried stay ~65-75 mph.

The loaner 2014 CX9 I drove while the dealer installed the hitch on my 2016 was horrible on gas. I only drove it dealer>home>work>dealer and it only got 17mpg. The dealer is more or less on my way to and from work, so it was basicly the same route as my work commute. The 2016 is getting 23-25mpg on same route and a 22.8 avg per tank.

how are people getting 20 mpg combined ?? are you 2007-2015 guys getting that high combined ?

I don't have a lead foot, there is a lot of stop and go traffic where I live, but 15 mpg is ridiculous,
I'm embarrassed to have the INFO screen show MPG when I have passengers, I switch it to range left , LOL

The city fuel economy is pretty dismal on my 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD. Non-highway mileage ranges from 13-17mpg, but I admit to having a bit of a heavy foot. Overall, I average approximately 18mpg (17.5-17.8mpg is the norm per tank) with a mix of about 30% city and 70% highway.

My 2012 FWD is EPA rated at 17/24 and the AWD version is 16/22. (Just a bit of info/trivia- Mazda made some changes between the 2010 and 2011 models that improved fuel economy ratings from 16/22 on the FWD and 15/21 on the AWD to 17/24 and 16/22, respecively.)

The best I've ever managed on the highway was 20.4mpg on a 300-mile round trip from Atlanta to Greenville, SC and back. The A/C was on the whole time and the cruise was set at around 78mph. There were two people in the car that weighed about 400lbs combined.

Back in February (2016) on a 1450-mile trip from Atlanta to Pittsburgh and back, I only got 15.6mpg overall. I encountered some nasty weather going up and lots of slush and snow on part of the return trip, so that definitely had an impact. But it was still worse than I suspected, considering that my luggage and myself weighed around 300lbs and the A/C was only used when needed for defogging windows. To be completely honest, driving through most of West Virginia, I was doing 85-90mph and I passed quite a few big rigs at full-throttle.

So those are figures on my 2012 FWD. The AWD models are rated at 1mpg less in the city and 2mpg less on the highway, but the fuel economy figures reported by most owners show the AWD models to get at least 2-2.5mpg less than the FWD. So I would be getting somewhere in the 14-16mpg range if I had AWD.

When forced to name a negative trait about my CX-9, fuel economy is the only thing on my list. But I also knew what the EPA ratings were and what existing owners were reporting, so it wasn't a surprise. It's a 3-row SUV/CUV with tons of cargo room and plenty of punch under the hood. The transmission performance (which is one of my favorite attributes) is much sportier and more aggressive than any other vehicle of this size/type that I've ever driven. It translates into excellent acceleration but also contributes to the low (bordering on abysmal) city fuel economy. I also keep in mind that the Ford-designed (but Mazda built) engine debuted in late 2007 and fuel economy wasn't much of a factor then.

But it could always be worse! I visit my cousin in Los Angeles at least two to three times per year. Whenever I'm there, I drive her 2009 Lexus GX470 (4.7L V8, full-time AWD) and the combined fuel economy makes me sick to my stomach every time I check it- below the 13mpg mark....and it requires Premium. (flash)

Last edited:
Just filled up my 2010 CX9 GT-AWD w/216,000 miles. I drive daily between the Poconos and Philly for work. I avg 22.3! Plenty of stop and go during my day. I'd say 50/50 city/hwy

After a year of ownership, we're at 13.5 l/100, which translates to just under 18mpg. Average speed of 48kmh, or 30mph, which I think is a fair representation of mostly city driving.

I'm embarassed to have the INFO screen show MPG when I have passengers, I switch it to range left , LOL

I get right at 15 in strickly city driving. Hauling our family of 6 on long hwy trips, and I can get 21. I did upgrade fuel for a 400 mile road trip, but only got 22 mpg. On average, I would say 17 combined is about right. I have a 2011 AWD touring

there are so many factors that go into fuel mileage from owner to owner.

1. how much junk in the trunk are you hauling
2. fwd vs awd
3. number of people in your family, and especially how much each person in your family weighs (combined my 3-person family weighs 300 lbs, that could be just the father in some people's 5-person families)
4. the tires you are using (tirerack.com often sees a 1-1.5 mpg difference between tires in their tests)
5. gas you are using
6. whether you live in the great plains or some mountainous/hilly region
7. time of year (a/c use)
8. how heavy your right foot is...

pure highway road tripping, our family of three with a full cargo load can get 22-23 mpg at 75-80.

usually, we get in the 19's with a mix of mostly highway, some city.

pure city we get 15-17 depending on a/c, traffic, right foot...

i know some people with a heavy right foot, especially off the line, that don't realize how heavy their right foot is.

my wife constantly gets worse gas mileage than me. she swears she doesn't drive that fast... yeah right, she is someone that is always running late. doesn't take a genius...

Last edited:
Back