First tank of fuel, and fuel light

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
Okay so I'm coming to the end of my first ever tank of fuel (provided by the dealer) and I have a question: 2016.5 CX 5 AWD Grand Touring Tech PKG.

The fuel light came on last night, I switched over to miles until empty it said 30. The fuel gauge was just above the 1/8 tank mark ( between 1/8 - 1/4 tank of fuel remaining ).

Is this normal, I ask because the sales rep had said the fuel system has to calibrate its self during the first tank of fuel. Now has anyone been told this.. Mind you we drove our CX 5 straight off the showroom floor with 4 miles on it.

Average mpg so far 27.8 per the infotainment system. I've been feathering the peddle during the 600 mile break in period according to the sales rep.

Yes, that is normal operation.

Fill up the tank, Press the RESET button, Enjoy driving, and repeat!

Fill up took 12.8 gallons with 25 miles left showing until empty but the gauge was at 1/8 tank remaining. With a 15.3 tank capacity so the fuel light comes on withal approx. 2.5 - 3 gallons remaining. Correct..?

Yes I'm sure you have all already discussed this before..

Last edited:
My light came on and I instantly within 5 miles filled it up. 11.9 Gallons - first fill up 25.5 in mixed driving FWD.
I will read the manual to do this reset as the fuel light so soon is off.

I believe it should have done so after 1 more gallon of fuel. Don't know for sure.
Btw read somewhere that a user did a 516 mile / tank that is impressive.

The owners manual is a great first read. -))

Correct, Yes it is.. It was the first thing I did as soon as I got home with my new CX 5. Read it cover to cover twice over the past two weeks. Wife just shook her headLOL... However asking real life question from real users is a great source of information too. So far I'm enjoying this Mazda community and site.

Last edited:
... However asking real life question from real users is a great source of information too.
Yes. A forum member DBLXX who had traded in his 2016 CX-5 AWD GT due to transmission problem actually did a dry tank test on his brand new CX-5 last August. He drove 516 miles in total with full fill-up, to the top of the filler neck, to 62 miles past when the range indicator initially said "0 Miles to Empty."

1st full fill to dry tank drive

Just FIY for people who don't know, CX-5 AWD has bigger gas tank - 15.3 gallons, than FWD which has 14.8 gallons.
Also, turn on your oil life monitor to take advantage of using Flexible Maintenance on oil change interval.

Yep, sounds about normal. As others have stated, you should be able to get about 50 miles past empty before the tank runs dry. Definitely not recommended though...

I let my tank run down to the light once and observed the amount to refill. I now follow Mazda's recommendation (in the manual) and refill at ~ 1/4 tank. I didn't overthink this much. Ed

Back