Power liftgate

:
Mazda CX-5 Akera
Last edited:
That is interesting. I would attempt an install, but how much is a kit and from where it can be purchased from?

That is interesting. I would attempt an install, but how much is a kit and from where it can be purchased from?

The website is in Chinese. They do have a Facebook site too. Seller mentioned $400 USD on social media. I think he can be contacted via email, phone, social media.

While a cool feature, I definitely wouldn't add it on. Just something else that can break. Not to mention, I'd rather just close my trunk than sit there waiting for it close. Be interesting to see though.

I'm not sure yet, if I will actually get it. I don't really need it, but it would be a cool project and my CX5 would be more unique.

The one from Taiwan apparently is much nicer kit as it features anti pinch, anti inadvertently mode, and utilize factory Mazda key fob to operate. Unfortunately they have to do the installation to "hack" the car computer for this added feature with factory key fob and keep your new car warranty valid.

I see two push-button switches in the kit from Alibaba. Definitely a simpler system with its own key fob and a push-button switch.

I'm in Taipei visiting but our CX-5 is on the stateside. So there's no way to do the installation! :)

I understand a power liftgate on a large heavy door like on a minivan. I can't imaging why someone would want one on a small SUV like the CX-5. Do any similar sized SUVs offer this from the manufacturer?

I understand a power liftgate on a large heavy door like on a minivan. I can't imaging why someone would want one on a small SUV like the CX-5. Do any similar sized SUVs offer this from the manufacturer?

New Hyundai Tucson, KIA, Lexus and European CUVs offer them from my knowledge on their topline models.

I agree it's not really necessary like a lot of other features which come in new cars nowadays. Do we really need electric fold-able side mirrors?

I guess it's useful for when you have your hands full with groceries and can't open the lift gate or when you need that extra split second to jump in your car when it's raining.

You could say its just another luxury feature which will creep into a lot of future models. The new CX-9 has it, won't be surprised the CX-5 will too.

... Do we really need electric fold-able side mirrors?
Power folding side mirrors are necessity in the crowded city environment with very tight parking space. Here in Taipei almost every car has the feature otherwise your outside mirror would get destroyed really fast!

Power folding side mirrors are necessity in the crowded city environment with very tight parking space. Here in Taipei almost every car has the feature otherwise your outside mirror would get destroyed really fast!

Yes. I wish I had them on my top-spec pre-2016 CX-5. Pretty lame it didn't come with it like a few other things I noticed Mazda was penny-pinching on, eg. non-illuminated passenger window switches, etc. That's another story..

Power folding side mirrors are in some other variants of the CX-5, and those I would love to have. That along with the other windows besides the driver be automatic open/close, and the moon-roof "auto" close (so you don't have to hold it auto, could care less if it closed on its own when the car turns off) As far as the lift gate though, I like not having it powered actually. My folks have Ford C-Max and it has it. Takes forever for it to open and close.

... You could say its just another luxury feature which will creep into a lot of future models. The new CX-9 has it, won't be surprised the CX-5 will too.
Well, CX-9 have been having power liftgate option since its debut in 2007. Mazda simply believes CX-5 doesn't need a power liftgate and has never considers to design one to add weight and cost.

Yes. I wish I had them on my top-spec pre-2016 CX-5. Pretty lame it didn't come with it like a few other things I noticed Mazda was penny-pinching on, eg. non-illuminated passenger window switches, etc. That's another story..
Yeah, penny wise and pound foolish is the Mazda's way deciding what kind of amenities should be available to its customers, especially against US buyers! You're lucky in Australia you can enjoy memory seat, full auto-up/down power windows and moonroof, power-folding outside power mirrors, courtesy and glove compartment lights, i-ELOOP, i-stop, etc. on the CX-5 but we in the States can never have those!

Don't need power liftgate, but soft-close would have been nice. I never seem to shut it hard enough where I dont have to open and shut it a second time.

Don't need power liftgate, but soft-close would have been nice. I never seem to shut it hard enough where I dont have to open and shut it a second time.
Agreed. But if Mazda designed a "soft-close" with an extra motor to pull the locking mechanism to shut the liftgate, might as well added the power liftgate at the same time with not much more cost!

Back