install aftermarket door seals

jmstp

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Anyone consider installing aftermarket door seals to cut down on highway wind noise? In effect, adding a 3rd seal.

I compared with many other cars, and its not until you hit the Mercedes S500 and other top end rides that additional door seals are present where the door edge meets the frame

966083_458908414193562_1479417482_o.jpg

I have thought about it. I was planning to buy a new GMC Canyon or Colorado, and one of their big selling points is a quiet ride, including triple door seals.

Since the contours of the door and surrounding panels aren't really made for a 3rd seal, where would you mount it to ensure it's actually making a seal and will remain in place during the door opening and closing?

When I look at the edges, there's definitely space between the doors and the B/C pillars. However, as the seal won't be perfectly continuous, is it even worth attempting? Will some additional seal be better than nothing?

This could be a good idea, there are different shapes of seals available so maybe a combination of different ones would work best. I know there's D, P and Z shape seals as well as a few others. Ebay and Amazon have a bunch. Interested to see how this turns out.

I looked last night, and it might be possible to add a seal to the vertical sides and bottom edge of the door. But across the top I think it would not be possible. The rubber is molded into sort of a double-seal profile, but it's all one piece, with no place to add anything else.

Back