Humming sound with vibration - when car is on little slanting drive

kulkarnipb

:
2012, CX-9 Touring
My 2012 - AWD - CX-9 makes humming sound with vibration when on slanting drive. I created video when it happened. Unfortunately , the audio , which I was willing to capture was not recorded as expected (however the real humming sound and vibration is more severe than the attached video/audio).
Humming sound and vibration is more noticeable when car is driving downward on a slope.

Attached video is on the highway with speed of around 70-75 mph.

I know my front rotors are warped but since I am not pressing breaks, I doubt that is causing vibration/humming sound. Any idea what it could be ?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is bad wheel bearing? It's one of the more common issues with the CX-9, an independent shop should be able to fix it relatively easy, let us know how it turns out, much appreciated. I just checked one pair of front wheel bearing goes for about $80.

Last edited:
My guess is bad wheel bearing? It's one of the more common issues with the CX-9, an independent shop should be able to fix it relatively easy, let us know how it turns out, much appreciated. I just checked one pair of front wheel bearing goes for about $80.
Thx. My car is covered under extended drivetrain dealer warranty for 7yrs/100k miles (whichever earliest). I need to check with dealer if wheel bearing is covered under drivetrain warranty and if so, I will push him to change it !! Let's see !!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Update - dealer inspected car and concluded that it is not wheel bearings but bridgestone tires which are making noise.
As per dealer, wheel bearings are part of warranty, but they are in good shape and no need to change.
Now I'm stuck. Either I have to
a) try new tires or
b) take car back again to dealer after few months and push Dealer really hard to change wheel bearings or
c) find someway to avoid external sound to enter inside cabin (may be sound dreading or something like that)

I'm totally confused - which way I should go.

Try 2 things.
1. Slide your hand back and forth around the tires on the tread. If it feels significantly different one way vs. the other, it might be the tires.
2. Rotate the tires to see if it changes. If all your tires are bad, it might not make a difference, but if it does change the sound a little bit, could be a sign of tires as well.

Update - dealer inspected car and concluded that it is not wheel bearings but bridgestone tires which are making noise.
As per dealer, wheel bearings are part of warranty, but they are in good shape and no need to change.
Now I'm stuck. Either I have to
a) try new tires or
b) take car back again to dealer after few months and push Dealer really hard to change wheel bearings or
c) find someway to avoid external sound to enter inside cabin (may be sound dreading or something like that)

I'm totally confused - which way I should go.

can you see the seat vibrating really bad ? like this video...... bad tires or out of balance

or more of a humming noise like a hole in the muffler ? bad wheel bearing

replace wheel bearing:

Last edited:
Back