CX5 stock exhaust "spacer" question

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
Is it fine to do something like this this video shows? He add a nut to the exhuast, so the stock exhaust will be louder. Some people said it will ruin the engine and cat, but some other said it won't do any damage because the spacer is behind cat. I know I should buy a aftermarket exhaust if I really want louder exhaust but I think this might be suitable for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq1vQrMHXo

Won't really make a difference, unless a cel (lean) is on. In which case the mixture will increase erroneously, and give you less than optimal power/more spark plug fouling. Our car has a 2nd o2 sensor just before (not in) the second cat. It will prolly throw a cel for lean if you do it where the mid pipe connects to the manifold since it will be picking up o2 that wasn't there when the exhaust went through the first o2 on the manifold. Axle back wouldn't trip anything. Whether it actually sounds like an aggressive or an exhaust leak who knows. In the end it's pretty corny lol.

13698130_10157253053190487_4155107458096200746_o.jpg

14068436_10157253053210487_4883554800918157988_o.jpg

Do it after the downstream o2 and it will be ghetto as hell but not harmful. Do it before, and you will get a catalyst efficiency or out of parameter warning, and might get a fuel trim adjustment, but not likely because the up stream o2 is still checking out. Downstream o2 just measures catalyst efficiency mainly. Do it upstream and you will royally screw the af ratios. This is not cx5 specific data.

Is it fine to do something like this this video shows? He add a nut to the exhuast, so the stock exhaust will be louder. Some people said it will ruin the engine and cat, but some other said it won't do any damage because the spacer is behind cat. I know I should buy a aftermarket exhaust if I really want louder exhaust but I think this might be suitable for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq1vQrMHXo

Probably won't hurt the car. YOU, however may end up inhaling more CO than is healthy.

On a normally aspirated engine, you'll likely cause a number of "negative" issues by intentionally causing an exhaust leak. I had the pipe break on an old Camry years ago, and the car had no power at all, it felt like, until I got it fixed. Turbo cars are different, and can benefit from as little back pressure as possible. On a non-turbo car it will likely lose some low-end power and torque, among whatever other issues it may cause.

A friend of mine had an exhaust leak in the hump over the rear axle. The CO (carbon monoxide) gas leaked into the car and put the people in the back seat to sleep. If they had not reach their destination and tried to get out it would have killed them instead of just making them sick. The driver got sleepy and opened a window which probably saved them.

Back