2017 fuel economy

I sure don't have any issues with the Mazda EPA MPG estimate..

and I had zero illusions when I chose the 2.5L and AWD because I live up here in New England..

I was merely trying to point out that in the Car Marketplace there are a great deal of Makes and Models that have EPA estimates based upon the Manufacturers test results because the EPA simply cannot test every vehicle every year...once in a while they catch them...others they don't...

This method exposed Kia when their test data was significantly different from the EPA's which raised a flag and we know what happened (voluntary reimbursement towards owners purchase of fuel, I know I had one a Sorento)..
So when the comparison is done the EPA's system seems to work...

Car manufacturers are now, more than ever, hesitant to get into trouble like what Hyundai/Kia have experienced. This has direct cost to them as well as the embarrassment and upset customers, reducing future sales and revenue even when they make it right. Also in light of the VW Diesel scandal, manufacturers are fearful of the impact if they get caught. I think this alone makes their compliance level high.

Is there any way to reset the average MPG readout on our 2014? The readout is showing 25.x right now, but the calculations from my phone app for the last 2 tanks show 23.6 and 24.2, almost all city driving. I'm not sure if that 25.x is more long term, like from before we bought the vehicle or something.

With the avg mpg showing, press and hold the center of the info button on the lt. spoke of the steering wheel. You'll hear a beep and the avg mpg will be reset.

Car manufacturers are now, more than ever, hesitant to get into trouble like what Hyundai/Kia have experienced. This has direct cost to them as well as the embarrassment and upset customers, reducing future sales and revenue even when they make it right. Also in light of the VW Diesel scandal, manufacturers are fearful of the impact if they get caught. I think this alone makes their compliance level high.

Well, Mazda came out with the 2.5L CX-5 before the VW issue, didn't they? They can't very well back down, now, it would be instant admission of guilt, lol! That's the thing with lying...you gotta go BIG! most of the time, in the end.

Well, Mazda came out with the 2.5L CX-5 before the VW issue, didn't they? They can't very well back down, now, it would be instant admission of guilt, lol! That's the thing with lying...you gotta go BIG! most of the time, in the end.

I don't think mazda lied. I just think they gamed it. Programmed the car to kill it in epa tests.

So, do you think they are lying or not? Or maybe both?

Interesting that so many of us have no real issues with meeting the EPA estimates. Ed
The EPA fuel economy ratings for 2016 CX-5 in city/highway/combined are:

2.0L FWD 26/35/29
2.5L FWD 26/33/29
2.5L AWD 24/30/26

Here is recent Real MPG data for 2016 CX-5 AWD from Motor Trend where they've been calculating Real MPG for more than 3 years:
I am happy to read this, however, I would note:
the CX-5 actually got 23.4/27.7/25.1 Real MPG.
Sorry, what was the CX-5 rated at on the highway? 30? That's what I thought...
Oh, and I doubt it was how they drove...
the RAV4 managed 24.5/30.3/26.8 Real MPG city/highway/combined, outperforming its EPA rating of 22/29/25 mpg by a fair margin.
The Escape got 21.6/32.6/25.5 Real MPG in our testing, improving overall on its 22/28/24 EPA score.

Here is real-world MPG from Consumer Reports:
From Consumer Reports:
... We measured 25 mpg overall using regular fuel, the same as with the base 2.0-liter.
So based on Consumer Reports both 2.0L and 2.5L Mazda CX-5's have 25 mpg overall fuel economy during their test.
So clearly both 25 mpg overall fuel economy ratings measured by Consumer Reports are way below EPA's combined fuel economy marks no matter how you look at them!

The combined MPG mixed with FWD and AWD in Fuelly also indicates the real-world mpg is worse than EPA combined estimates mixed with FWD and AWD:
Here's data...a lot of it, from Fuelly. 2016 CX-5 2.5L's avg 26 combined. EPA estimate is 26 for AWD, 29 for FWD. http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5?engineconfig_id=53&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Many people may be happy with their highway gas mileage, but the fact of matter is their best highway gas mileage is still worse than EPA rating! Heck, his combined real world MPG is also worse than EPA rating at 29 but he is happy nevertheless:
With a 2015 FWD Touring 2.5 liter over 23.588 miles, and 85 tank fill ups my average at the pump, is 28.1, on the dash it is 27.7. At 70 with the a/c on I will get 30/31. Yes the factory mileage can be hit.
The EPA highway rating for 2014 CX-5 2.5L FWD is 32 mpg; for 2016 CX-5 2.5L FWD is 33 mpg. So if your highway MPG is 30/31 which is still short of 32 from EPA estimate.

Here are posts ONLY from this Very disappointing fuel economy from recent road trip... thread showing their MPGs were not meeting the EPA fuel economy estimates:
Here was her fuel economy numbers along the way to and from Winnipeg(US units):
Way there(speeds of 70mph):
1st:28.4mpg
2nd: 28.8mpg
On the way back(speeds of 80mph)
1st: 21mpg
2nd: 23mpg
3rd 24mpg
Yep. Same thing mine does.
did a trip to Indiana and Chicago, it was also below EPA rating.
Yep. Same thing mine does.
Mine too!
What sense does it make to go below 60 mph, assume on a highway with a speed limit of 65 mph? I am yet to see evidence of CX5 beating 30 mph when the car consistently goes above 65 mph up to 75 mph for at least +60 miles.
I have a 2016 GT FWD ,gas mileage has been extremely disappointing, at 80 MPH which is the average speed ( speed limit is 70 ) , I am lucky to hit 24-25, best mileage I have ever seen when I kept it below 70 which was 27-28 , yes the car is broken in at 28000 miles . My previous 2014 Subaru XT with the turbo averaged the same but was rated lower and had much more power even though it required premium .
Current mileage is 25.5, average speed is 27 mph and total miles is 24,000 on my 2014 GT. I am and have been disappointed,
I am just under the 30 mpg EPA highway for my 2.5L AWD, but my city mileage is pretty bad. I can get 22 or 23 mpg if I drive like a monk, but I'm usually lucky to get 21 mpg. My worst was 17 mpg, although this was in February and I seem to recall being stuck behind a few accidents that week.
I'm with unobtainium. Same exact thing as he stated.
I think its a matter of expectation. Being in Texas, I'm usually driving around 80 between cities. This means I get about 28mpg with summer gas and slightly lower with winter blend. I expect this because its an suv with a large posture in the wind.
However, and video showing claim of MPG of 21 while doing 70 is not the norm. I think many owners regularly drive 65~70 and get respectable MPG 27~30 doing that.
On my 2016 2.5 AWD GT w/ Tech, I get around 24.5mpg in city/highway combined. It seems to be a tad lower that the advertized MPG but I also drive faster than 60mph on highways and my trips rarely exceed 30 miles so I warm up the car more frequently than most of you per mile driven.
I've been noticing this. My drive is 75% city/suburban and 25% hwy. The mpg went up from 25.x to 27.x in past couple of months
Pretty much the same here. We just did a 850-mile trip this weekend in our 2016 AWD GT+Tech w/ 2 people on board and light luggage. All Interstate, light traffic. Speed average: 61mph w/ cruise control set at 70mph. Gas mileage for the entire trip: 28.4 mpg.
I am pleased with these numbers but I would really like to understand how people owning an AWD get 32mpg on highways. Do they drive at 60mph or even less?
My gas mileage has been less than impressive, I have a 2016 GT FWD with 35k, have used Mazda Moly on every oil change , best gas mileage has been at 27-28 if I keep it under 65 , above 70 - 80, it drops significantly to around 23-24, the Mazda is extremely sensitive more than any other vehicle I have owned in regards to gas mileage, my 2014 Subaru XT with the 2.0 turbocharged engine had the same gas mileage as the Mazda at the same speeds even though it was rated at 23/28, for the ones getting 30 plus mpg , you must be driving under 60 .
Just got back from 922 mile trip this weekend. We went from Syracuse to Elkton Md, Elkton to Selbyville DE and back to Syracuse. We averaged 27 MPG with the awd.

So, do you think they are lying or not? Or maybe both?

I'm honestly not sure. They could be lying like Bill Clinton when he denied having sex with Monica...or they could be lying like Hillary claiming she didn't have classified information in her deleted E-mails. I'm unsure which.

Last edited:
Dear moderator

I didn't thing political BS was permitted on this board.
Also I get a consistent 30-32 mpg highway MPG in my 2016 CX-5 AWD. Right now computers showing 28 MPG commuting to work 16 miles two lane roads moderate traffic

Dear moderator

I didn't thing political BS was permitted on this board.
Also I get a consistent 30-32 mpg highway MPG in my 2016 CX-5 AWD. Right now computers showing 28 MPG commuting to work 16 miles two lane roads moderate traffic

It's not political, it just involves famous people. It's factual, and a great example of "technically not lying"---but omitting/leading away from the truth, and "outright flat-out lying".

What speeds do you drive when you get 30-32mpg?

I took a trip down to North Carolina last week with the a/c on all the way down from the time I left home to the time I arrived at the motel, just my wife and I and the car packed to the roof with stuff, averaged 31 mpg, would've been higher without the a/c as it has been in the past. Very pleased with the mileage after 3 and a half years.

I took a trip down to North Carolina last week with the a/c on all the way down from the time I left home to the time I arrived at the motel, just my wife and I and the car packed to the roof with stuff, averaged 31 mpg, would've been higher without the a/c as it has been in the past. Very pleased with the mileage after 3 and a half years.
We all would be happy to get 31 mpg for the road trip, but it's still not meeting the EPA highway fuel economy estimate!

We all would be happy to get 31 mpg for the road trip, but it's still not meeting the EPA highway fuel economy estimate!

On the contrary, if you read my post I said the car was packed to the brim with the a/c on all the time....EPA doesn't test cars like that. The 31 mpg is a combined mileage, highway and a lot of stop and go traffic, I'd say it more or less beats EPA estimates.

Last edited:

Wow... I cannot believe you quoted those people. You have way too much time on your hands lol. I know you're obsessed with trying to convince everyone the cx5 gets subpar gas mileage but come on. How much time did you waste finding those posts? Lol

It's not political, it just involves famous people. It's factual, and a great example of "technically not lying"---but omitting/leading away from the truth, and "outright flat-out lying".

What speeds do you drive when you get 30-32mpg?

65-70....you know, the speed limit. Amazing right. 70 9 times out of 10 I get right on the dot 30. 65, about 32-33. 75 I get 29.

Just to chime in with my numbers: I got my 2016 AWD in October, the average during winter was 20-24mpg, but I did get 31mpg on a long trip (2-hour round trip) in March. During the last 2 months, I saw clear improvement of getting more consistently 26-28mpg (approaching 5K miles, going for first oil change next week). I drove to a summit 27 miles away from home the last 3 days, mostly highway, and got 28-30mpg each time, speed was 60-70mph. Also, note that the MPG number is average, so if I spend 20 minutes at 60-70mph on highway and only 2-3 minutes driving around downtown, the number can easily get 29-30mpg. But if I have to drive around from the 5th floor of the underground parking, the number can go the other way easily. It's just like your GPA: it's easy to keep your perfect 4.0 GPA after the first three years, then a few A- or B during upper division can easily pull it down :)

In the end, it's just like that 90/10 rule: you have to drive on highway 90% of the time to be within the 10% of the EPA estimation for highway driving (OK, I made that up :)

Unfortunately my wife picks up our son from school, and sits in the car pickup line for up to 30 minutes with the engine running. That doesn't help our numbers AT ALL!!

Unfortunately my wife picks up our son from school, and sits in the car pickup line for up to 30 minutes with the engine running. That doesn't help our numbers AT ALL!!

You can actually see the numbers go down on the AVERAGE MPG gauge when you do that, it doesn't take long.

I'm honestly not sure. They could be lying like Bill Clinton when he denied having sex with Monica...or they could be lying like Hillary claiming she didn't have classified information in her deleted E-mails. I'm unsure which.

lol, NOT to get into anything political or off topic, but I just saw an article where some of the FBI files regarding the Vince Foster suicide are missing. You know, the guy who shot himself twice in the head during the Clinton years and then managed to drag himself up an embankment...too funny.

Back