BT/iPhone audio = boomy?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I noticed that when listening to music from my iPhone, connected to our CX-5 via Bluetooth (either podcasts or regular purchased music), the bass level always seems much higher than when on other sources like the radio. On the touch screen, I have to turn the bass down to 1-2 notches below middle to get it to sound like the radio with the bass set 1-2 notches above middle. Has anyone else noticed any similar behavior with iPhone and/or Bluetooth music sources?

I notice the difference between my Galaxy S5 and S6 versus iPhone (5S and 6S) work phones. My iPhones definitely have a more prominent low end in comparison to the S6 and S5. This isn't only noticeable on my CX-5, but also via the headphone jack and any other Bluetooth playback. The difference is apparent. I suppose Apple has different equalizer settings from factory.

If you have the Technology package with Bose, try turning off the CenterPoint in audio settings. CenterPoint changes the lower end of the sound spectrum dramatically.

Last edited:
I noticed that when listening to music from my iPhone, connected to our CX-5 via Bluetooth (either podcasts or regular purchased music), the bass level always seems much higher than when on other sources like the radio. On the touch screen, I have to turn the bass down to 1-2 notches below middle to get it to sound like the radio with the bass set 1-2 notches above middle. Has anyone else noticed any similar behavior with iPhone and/or Bluetooth music sources?

See if there are audio balance settings on the phone or app you're using that may be causing this. The music will pass through a pre-processor before going out over bluetooth. I also wouldn't be surprised if iphone defaults to more bass, given their default headphones are so tiny.

See if there are audio balance settings on the phone or app you're using that may be causing this. The music will pass through a pre-processor before going out over bluetooth. I also wouldn't be surprised if iphone defaults to more bass, given their default headphones are so tiny.

I looked in Settings under Music (iOS 9), and saw that there are EQ settings, but they're currently turned off.

On my Android Samsung Galaxy 3 on BT the Bass is louder. EQ settings on phone turned off. BOSE Centerpoint turned off. This is CD vs Bluetooth. The CD version of the same song has clearer and louder highs and mids. The low end isn't as loud as blue tooth.

This is CD vs Bluetooth. The CD version of the same song has clearer and louder highs and mids. The low end isn't as loud as blue tooth.
CD will always have better sound quality and higher fidelity than MP3 file itself, not to mention transmitting via Blue Tooth which would cause more sound quality losses. Old fashioned vinyl record has better sound than CD! :)

Iphone and Android should play pretty well via Bluetooth. It has come a long way. There is going to be a few factors. The source you are playing. I use spotify, and I have extreme quality as my setting for streaming and downloading music. If you have a sound quality option in the app your using, make sure to use the highest setting. Also keep in mind when you play music, there is a DAC or digital to analog converter, and the quality of DAC has a lot to do with the sound quality. Unfortunately, you can't really change the DAC. There are external DAC's, but it's not exactly the most convenient option. If you play via Bluetooth, your using the DAC in your phone. Via auxiliary plug, you use the DAC in the head unit. I dont think center point has anything to do with boominess. Has everything to do with sound stage and imaging. Buuuut... the audio pilot setting could make audio more boomy. While I like the idea of audio pilot technology, it's not good for audio from a sound quality point of view. It's going to raise certain frequencies to compensate for the level or road, background and ambient noises in the vehicle. This could absolutely make audio sound more boomy. If audio pilot is on, try turning it off.

Edit: bluetooth streaming = head unit DAC, auxiliary plug = phone DAC, then possibly headunit DAC as well.

I've heard audio over usb is the best option. But I've never accomplished this with android. I think iPhone is capable of this

Last edited:
I don't think Audio Pilot is on with our system, but I'll check it.

DAC... shouldn't that be, BT = car's DAC, and aux plug (via iPhone headphone jack) would be the phone's DAC? With bluetooth the music data is leaving the phone through the BT radio which means it's still digital, but with the aux connection from the phone's headphone jack, the signal is converted to analog before coming out of the headphone jack.

Actually with an analog connection between both phone and car, there might actually be a digital/analog conversion happening 3 times... coming out of the phone, then back to digital after coming into the car's system, the car's infotainment processes the signal again and converts it back to analog to transmit to the speakers. I prefer to keep those conversions to a minimum which is why I usually prefer keeping the signal digital as long as possible until just before the speakers.

Back