Wife didn't change oil for over 10k...beyond pissed

Thisguy65

:
cx 5
But somehow it's my fault.... oil level never change but I bought a oil lab kit to send to Black Stone. Really curious to see what they say. Going to change the oil today and later next week have the dealership do it.

10K honestly isn't that bad. Even for crude based oil. Of course the oil companies will tell you to change it every 3-5K.

But somehow it's my fault.... oil level never change but I bought a oil lab kit to send to Black Stone. Really curious to see what they say. Going to change the oil today and later next week have the dealership do it.

How far over 10,000? What kind of driving does she do? If it's not much over 10,000 and it's been maintained in the past it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure it gets changed around 5-6k from now on.

You each are responsible for your own car's maintenance? Usually in families there's one person that does a certain thing, like take care of finances, take care of house, take care of the car(s). My wife doesn't do anything on her car. I do all maintenance, all repairs, even put gas in both vehicles (I'm a stats junkie and keep meticulous fuel and maintenance records). She's just fine with it that way, and so am I.

Maybe you should start keeping up with the maintenance on her car? If you're more inclined to keep up with maintenance, that is.

Why would you change the oil now and then have it done again a week later? That sounds really wasteful. The money you spend will basically just go down the drain, or into the recycle drum, as it were.

You each are responsible for your own car's maintenance? Usually in families there's one person that does a certain thing, like take care of finances, take care of house, take care of the car(s). My wife doesn't do anything on her car. I do all maintenance, all repairs, even put gas in both vehicles (I'm a stats junkie and keep meticulous fuel and maintenance records). She's just fine with it that way, and so am I.

Maybe you should start keeping up with the maintenance on her car? If you're more inclined to keep up with maintenance, that is.
She is suppose to tell me when it needs it, ike she has in the past. I keep up with the other cars in our fleet. She just goes by the dealership. My shop is not at my house so I'll spend the morning changing the oil out at the shop, drive home, pick up the other car and go do that one to. I help clean and we don't really have dinner together so we each of make out own food.

She is at 14,000. It's not so much the possible damage as there's probably nothing but it's the fact. She complains to me about spending money for the business at times but yet almost wrecks a $21k (what we paid) car.

Probably in decent shape if it was driven often enough to burn off impurities. Post the results! Previous lab reports suggest 10k no big deal but few have been so brave to try!

Why would you change the oil now and then have it done again a week later? That sounds really wasteful. The money you spend will basically just go down the drain, or into the recycle drum, as it were.

If there is the start of sludge or anything of the short clean oil will loose it up and the additive I would use breaks it down further. These engines have tight tolerances and oil passages are really small. Think of it as preventive maintenance in a sense. The used oil will go in drum for the winter that heats the shop.

Probably in decent shape if it was driven often enough to burn off impurities. Post the results! Previous lab reports suggest 10k no big deal but few have been so brave to try!

We will see what it says at 14k.

If there is the start of sludge or anything of the short clean oil will loose it up and the additive I would use breaks it down further. These engines have tight tolerances and oil passages are really small. Think of it as preventive maintenance in a sense. The used oil will go in drum for the winter that heats the shop.

Most likely the test from Blackstone (I've used them quite a bit) will come back ugly but not from the 10,000 mile run on the oil. The oil will have high metal numbers from break in process the engine goes through when new, this is normal and nothing to worry about. With today's clean burning engines and quality oils, 10,000 miles is no big deal and you shouldn't have any sludge issues.

Sam

Total over reacting. CX5 oil change monitors on later models say maximum of 10,000 miles or one year can be considered normal. Ed

Sam, car has already been broken in. It's 14' model with 45k on the clock.

It's way past 10k at 14k miles on the current oil.

Total over reacting. CX5 oil change monitors on later models say maximum of 10,000 miles or one year can be considered normal. Ed

It's not so much the fact of her going over more so than her lack of caring about her car. If you car about it, you take care of it. She knows better than do it.

Why use an additive? ATF works great. I ran a European shop for six years and saw extreme sludging in VW/Audi and others. Substitute ~20-25% of the oil with ATF, idle for 30 minutes, drain, repeat but drive 500 miles. These were severe cases of engine sludge where we were just barely able to save the engine from severe neglect and poor design on VW/Audi's part. With that being said, I highly, highly doubt there is any sludging that has occurred.

Also, there is a potential problem with your plan- I'd personally do the oil service myself and retain receipts with dates as opposed to taking it to the dealership who will now have an indication that the vehicle went 14,000 miles without an oil service. In the event a warranty issue were to ever arrive. I say this as a service manager for a dealership.

In your wife's defense, many other cars (Honda, Toyota ect. ect.) have a light that comes on when the oil change is due.
I don't think older CX-5's (pre 2016?) have such a light, so if a driver is used to waiting for the light to come on, it's easy to miss an oil change.

Figure out how to prevent this from happening in the future and give your wife a break.
You can't go back in time 6500mi and change the oil so no use being pissed about it.

I'm curious to see what the lab report will show after 14,000.

Sam, car has already been broken in. It's 14' model with 45k on the clock.

It's way past 10k at 14k miles on the current oil.

It's not so much the fact of her going over more so than her lack of caring about her car. If you car about it, you take care of it. She knows better than do it.

Wait, so this wasn't it's first scheduled maintenance?

More importantly, we're here to provide information on repairing, servicing and modifying vehicles, not marriage counseling or relationship building..

Last edited:

I now work with medium and heavy duty vehicles, that will often come in 10,000+ miles past due. And these are workhorses that see abuse by drivers that don't give a s*** every single day. I normally collect oil samples as it's often required by fleet managers and fleet management companies- you'd be surprised how not bad it is.

In your wife's defense, many other cars (Honda, Toyota ect. ect.) have a light that comes on when the oil change is due.
I don't think older CX-5's (pre 2016?) have such a light, so if a driver is used to waiting for the light to come on, it's easy to miss an oil change.

Figure out how to prevent this from happening in the future and give your wife a break.
You can't go back in time 6500mi and change the oil so no use being pissed about it.

Yes I'm aware, I use to work for Honda as a Mechanic. After 4 years of that life, I got out. Been doing work on the side. This isn't her first car and not her last. After my wifes fiasco with her Scion TC (06, that year model loved to pull the head bolt threads out of the blocks like the northstar engines) she knew to stay on top of it. Life lesson on her and my part. I hope you never get pissed if your wife or child damages your car.

Why use an additive? ATF works great. I ran a European shop for six years and saw extreme sludging in VW/Audi and others. Substitute ~20-25% of the oil with ATF, idle for 30 minutes, drain, repeat but drive 500 miles. These were severe cases of engine sludge where we were just barely able to save the engine from severe neglect and poor design on VW/Audi's part. With that being said, I highly, highly doubt there is any sludging that has occurred.

Also, there is a potential problem with your plan- I'd personally do the oil service myself and retain receipts with dates as opposed to taking it to the dealership who will now have an indication that the vehicle went 14,000 miles without an oil service. In the event a warranty issue were to ever arrive. I say this as a service manager for a dealership.

That is the additive I'm referring to. If you put anything other than motor oil in the oil fill port, it's consider an additive :)

Old drag racing trick for auto transmission is to use Hydro-Guard (John Deere) hydraulic fluid mixed with ATF about a 60/40 (hydro/atf)

Wait, so this wasn't it's first scheduled maintenance?

More importantly, we're here to provide information on repairing, servicing and modifying vehicles, not marriage counseling or relationship building..

We bought this car used with 25k on the clock. Old couple had it, I know the dealer personally as he tried to get me to work for him a few times.

Well no s***, lol

The verbal beatings will continue until the offending partner begs for forgiveness, I fear. :))

My wife says your wife is right :)

I love the Road Trip app I use on my phone. I've kept all maintenance, repair, and fuel records for our cars on it since 2008. I can set up recurring maintenance reminders like oil changes and tire rotations, with both a time and distance reminder. As I enter other things like fuel, it knows and keeps track of the miles on the cars, and pops up a reminder with a red badge on the icon when a scheduled maintenance is due. And since I hate red badges on the icons of my phone's home screen, I try to take care of it as soon as possible. :)

Last edited:
Not that it matters since each engine is unique, but Blackstone was recommending I go almost 10k between changes. I'm sure you'll be ok.

uE4oSR5.jpg

Back