mazdaspeed 3 wheels on 2002 protege es with 16 inch factory rims?

terrytek247

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
so, i've been debating on what rims to put on my protege, which has factory 16 inch 5 spoke rims with 205/50r16 tires installed. i want to upgrade to bigger rims because from a distance, 16 inch rims make the car feel smaller than it really is. i've been thinking about staying with mazda rims but like 17s or even 18s from a newer model. i did find a set of first gen mazdaspeed 3 wheels in my area, and my plan is to find something like those and end up plastidipping them black. however, i'm worried that the rims will not fit, not clear suspension, rub, all the nightmares of upgrading the rims. but i want bigger rims because i want a more aggressive look to my protege, and i think rims are a definitely nice way to dress up my car, but i don't think it's possible if it's not gonna fit. will first gen mazdaspeed 3 rims with 225/40r18 tires fit on a 2002 protege with no body mods like fender rolling, or is it not possible? and note, it's not riding on OEM struts, they're riding on sensen struts on all 4 corners since the original struts already gave out.

That is kinda sad...lol and you put it in the right spot too...

Without any hard data from somebody who has tried it...What I would do is go to a wheel/tire calculator site, and input your current specs, and then the 07-09 wheel specs, and you can see if the rolling circumference/revs per mile/overall height are close to or the same...

One thing that does increase is the weight... compare the weight of your wheel/tire to the larger diameter setup.

are there any 17" Mazda ones you like so that you do not have to compromise too much of your ride? Like from the Mazda3 or Mazda5?

They will fit, combined with some lowering springs it may rub a little but would look good. Rolled fenders are not difficult to do and may be necessary with a 225 tire. Second gen MS3 wheels would look better IMO and are easier to find.

Back