Latest gen Mazda6 highway mileage?

:
Mazda6 GT, MX5 PRHT
I've got a 2016 Mazda6 GT without the iEloop package. 13k miles on it. Oil changed every 5k with full synthetic. The best highway mileage I've gotten to date has been 36 driving in the low 70's with a lot of cruise control. My typical highway driving is around 80 and it drops to around 34. I don't see how Mazda rates it at 38. What do you guys get?

I've seen as high as 37.9 but typically it is between 32-35 MPG in the summer. I usually drive 75-85 to/from work. Winter time it drops between 27-31 or so. Change my oil at 10-15k with Amsoil and Amsoil filter since new with 83.5k on the odometer now. Averaging 32.0 MPG over the life of 83.5k.

When I do any extended driving more than 20 miles on the highway I definitely get close to 40mpg. But in the morning with a little traffic and only 12 miles to work it hovers around 30 mpg. It seems like it takes a while on the road to get the good mileage and short drives kill it. Btw I'm usually driving around 70 mph in the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While my odometer only reads about 800 miles, I plan to drive from New Jersey to Kentucky (roundtrip) in about a week or so. I'll post my numbers afterward, but my 2016 M6 GT isn't really broken in yet, so the numbers might not be where she'll be MPG-wise long term. We'll see.

While my odometer only reads about 800 miles, I plan to drive from New Jersey to Kentucky (roundtrip) in about a week or so. I'll post my numbers afterward, but my 2016 M6 GT isn't really broken in yet, so the numbers might not be where she'll be MPG-wise long term. We'll see.

My mileage hasn't changed from the day I picked my car up through to just passing 13k miles.

My 2015 Mazda6 Touring manual gets around 33-35 on the highway going 70 mph during the summer, winter is usually when the mpg's fall to about 32 if I baby the throttle.

Just took a one-tank highway trip with some city driving mixed in. AC on, 80 MPH, WOT on occasion with 4 on board. 91 octane non-ethanol gas. 34.3 MPG indicated.

Just took a one-tank highway trip with some city driving mixed in. AC on, 80 MPH, WOT on occasion with 4 on board. 91 octane non-ethanol gas. 34.3 MPG indicated.

I'll get about 34 on the highway at 80 mph with A/C on. But, I haven't had my car loaded with that many people or stuff yet.

I'll get about 34 on the highway at 80 mph with A/C on. But, I haven't had my car loaded with that many people or stuff yet.

This time was people, no cargo. I have had the car loaded to being on the jounce bumpers, it still did phenomenal on MPG.

Seems this car likes 91 octane. Gets about 2 mpg better MPG's with much better throttle response, especially when heat soaked. Out here 91 octane also gets you into non-ethanol gas so I'm not sure if it's the no-ethanol or higher octane making the difference.

Octane makes no difference. If an engine is designed to run on 87 (the Mazda6 is) than higher octane does nothing except cost you more. Lower octane fuels actually have more "energy" in them. I would surely bet the no-ethanol makes the difference. I had a VW Eurovan I owned for 10 years. Once ethanol took over my mileage dropped 10% in that vehicle.

I can get 40mpg on highway easily if I travel at 65mph. (GT + iEloop)
Who does that anyway on US highway?!
If I travel at 75mph, I can only get around 33mpg.
Speed you travel at changes MPG quite a bit.
Also, for short distance travel, your acceleration when you get on highway (5mpg?!) kills your highway MPG.
It takes a longer distance travel (20miles?) to get that impact out.

I can get 40mpg on highway easily if I travel at 65mph. (GT + iEloop)
Who does that anyway on US highway?!
If I travel at 75mph, I can only get around 33mpg.
Speed you travel at changes MPG quite a bit.
Also, for short distance travel, your acceleration when you get on highway (5mpg?!) kills your highway MPG.
It takes a longer distance travel (20miles?) to get that impact out.

That's a huge difference for only 10 mph. I pretty much never travel below 72 on the interstate where I live. Speed limits are typically 65 or 70 here. I guess if I have the time on a trip I should test my car at 65 to see what I get.

I see the same difference on my 6 as well. I drove 400 miles in nonstop rain once limited by traffic running 50 to 60 MPH and my MPG'S were crazy good on that trip.

Back