Loose fuel filler neck - anyone else have this issue?

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
I have a 2016.5 GT, 2.5 months old. I've noticed the fuel filler neck is slightly loose/wiggly when I fuel up/ insert the fuel nozzle. Seems a bit 'flimsy'. By comparison, none of my other cars' filler necks moved at all.

Is this normal with newer/modern cars? Or should I have this checked out?

Thx!

It could be normal. I notice compared to other vehicles I have had it does move around some. Actually more so after the recall as a bolt was removed.

Mine has always been a little wiggly. And, like Kedis, it's a bit worse after the fuel filler neck recall.

I did also notice it on the Mazda6 loaner I had while the recall was being done, so I just assumed it was normal for all Mazdas.

I have a 2016.5 GT, 2.5 months old. I've noticed the fuel filler neck is slightly loose/wiggly when I fuel up/ insert the fuel nozzle. Seems a bit 'flimsy'. By comparison, none of my other cars' filler necks moved at all.
Your observation is correct. Mazda CX-5 does have a wobbling fuel filler neck. I wouldn't say that's normal but that's the way it is.

If production date of your 2016.5 CX-5 is after Feb. 1st, 2016, it is supposed to have a rubber pad placed between the body member and the bracket and a plastic fastener is used for attaching the bolt which was the subject been removed by the Fuel Leak Recall. This means your loose fuel filler neck is certainly more rigid than ours with missing bolt.

It could be normal. I notice compared to other vehicles I have had it does move around some. Actually more so after the recall as a bolt was removed.
Back in March this year when we had the discussion on CX-5's fuel leak recall, I'd already questioned the way how the Mazda did for the recall:

If this is all the recall fix did, that's really just a patch work to me. The filler neck will be even looser after that.
The filler neck on CX-5 is pretty loose already comparing to other vehicles, I wonder how loose it'll be after the bolt removal.

Mazda engineers at time were under heavy pressure to find a quick and easy fix to resolve the fuel leak issue found by NHTSA as they're facing immediate stop-sale enforced by NHTSA. Hence a quick no-parts, bolt-removing short-term solution is implemented. But for permanent and long-term solution, they've added a rubber pad and a plastic fastener for new production after Feb. 1st, 2016.

Once one of the two bolts holding the bracket positioning the long fuel filler pipe got removed, there's a gap behind the bracket because the uneven pressure applied by the single bolt from the other side. The fuel filler pipe at bracket area now can be vibrating during normal use as the bracket can no longer hold the pipe tight. This is why people now are finding out the fuel filler neck is wobbling more than before, as the pipe has lost the sturdy hold by the bracket. I certainly don't like the long-term effect of this with the missing bolt, hence I haven't take our CX-5 in for the recall fix.

[2015 Schematic]
Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%202.13.36%20PM.png

DSC08463.jpg

DSC08465.jpg

Your observation is correct. Mazda CX-5 does have a wobbling fuel filler neck. I wouldn't say that's normal but that's the way it is.

If production date of your 2016.5 CX-5 is after Feb. 1st, 2016, it is supposed to have a rubber pad placed between the body member and the bracket and a plastic fastener is used for attaching the bolt which was the subject been removed by the Fuel Leak Recall. This means your loose fuel filler neck is certainly more rigid than ours with missing bolt.
My 2013 is rock-solid.

Loose fuel filler neck - anyone else have this issue? Reply to Thread

My 2013 is rock-solid.
That's why your 2013 CX-5 isn't involved in the fuel leak recall.

I was always wondering why Mazda changed the design after MY 2013 and makes the fuel filler pipe wobbling and later got caught by NHTSA for excessive fuel leakage during rear end crash test? And why Mazda didn't go back to original design in 2013 MY for the recall fix as all the parts should be still readily available?

That's why your 2013 CX-5 isn't involved in the fuel leak recall.

I was always wondering why Mazda changed the design after MY 2013 and makes the fuel filler pipe wobbling and later got caught by NHTSA for excessive fuel leakage during rear end crash test? And why Mazda didn't go back to original design in 2013 MY for the recall fix as all the parts should be still readily available?
Do we know if the government standards on rear end collision survivability didn't change between 2013 and 2014, making the design changes mandatory?

Do we know if the government standards on rear end collision survivability didn't change between 2013 and 2014, making the design changes mandatory?
I don't think so by reading the NHTSA CX-5 recall document for rear-end crash test. But there must be a reason why Mazda changed the design of how to hold the fuel filler pipe after 2013 MY.

Not all '14's were included. Mine was not in the date range. May have been a change that came with 2014.5

Not all '14's were included. Mine was not in the date range. May have been a change that came with 2014.5
And your fuel filler neck is rock-solid like paris1's too? Would be nice if either one of you can take some pictures at fuel filler pipe bracket area and see the difference when you guys are doing tire rotating... :)

And your fuel filler neck is rock-solid like paris1's too? Would be nice if either one of you can take some pictures at fuel filler pipe bracket area and see the difference when you guys are doing tire rotating... :)

I have not noticed any movement.

Still haven't done the recall on my 2015. Trying to find the part number for the plastic bolt now used, which I would install. No luck so far.
Anyway my filler pipe wiggles a bit but I have never been concerned.

Still haven't done the recall on my 2015. Trying to find the part number for the plastic bolt now used, which I would install. No luck so far.
This is exactly what my plan is and I'm also holding up doing the recall fix at this time! There're at least two parts, a rubber pad and a plastic fastener, provided the pipe bracket has not been modified. I'll check with my Mazda dealer next time when I stop by and find out the availability of these parts.

Thx!

I checked mine today when I gassed up. It flexed a little bit but nothing serious. I had the recall done a couple months ago.

Back