leaking belt tensioner

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Looks like my surpentine belt tensioner is starting to weep a little. 55k and change on the odometer. Hopefully it's something covered under the powertrain warranty if the dealer thinks it's bad. Got an appointment for next week. IMG_3201.JPGIMG_3211.JPG

Looks like my surpentine belt tensioner is starting to weep a little. 55k and change on the odometer. Hopefully it's something covered under the powertrain warranty if the dealer thinks it's bad. Got an appointment for next week.View attachment 214584View attachment 214585
Please keep us posted. It'd be interesting if this serpentine belt tensioner is covered under powertrain warranty. They can always say this is a wear-and-tear item.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted. It'd be interesting if this surpentine belt tensioner is covered under powertrain warranty. They can always say this is a wear-and-tear item.

They might also consider it an accessory like the alternator, pulleys or motor mounts. If I remember right power train warranty covers engine (and transmission) internal defects in things like pistons/rings/crank/bearings & journals/cam & chain/valves/seats/lifters/oil & water pump, and etc. I'm not even sure it covers fuel injection system including injectors although the emissions warranty might.

It will be defo interesting to know if the belt tensioner is covered.

Last edited:
It's out of warranty at 36000. It's not a power train component. Mine was busted and I was "goodwilled" and charged labour only.

Would this be Part #2 in this illustration? Essentially part of the alternator. Looks to be a $100 part if its part# PE0315980B. Might as well change the belts too.
5470055.jpg

Didn't check. Besides, that's for belt wear, shouldn't have anything to do with the tensioner starting to leak, no?

If it's starting to collapse it might get close to the limit. Also curious to see if the belt wears at the same rate as the tensioner.

Mine was completely collapsed and had been for a while. I didn't realize it was malfunctioned until my rarely used ac started squeaking. It had probably been busted for 10000 mi at least. The belt was changed too.

Mine was completely collapsed and had been for a while. I didn't realize it was malfunctioned until my rarely used ac started squeaking. It had probably been busted for 10000 mi at least. The belt was changed too.

Interesting... Dude, you don't use your AC in Texas o_O???

Very rarely. Generally if its less than 95, I can enjoy the window down roof open. I prefer to have my windows open because I like the open vs cooped up. I spend enough time indoors at home or work. I fly with the window open on the cessna sometimes too. If I start getting sweaty I'll close It though.

If it's starting to collapse it might get close to the limit. Also curious to see if the belt wears at the same rate as the tensioner.

I guess you gave me my homework for tonight, I don't think it's near collapsing because I haven't heard any squealing out of it and it's charging the battery pretty good. Been using the A/C pretty consistently the last few weeks because of this heat wave we're having. From what I can see from probing around up top, the belt looks to be in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
Would this be Part #2 in this illustration? Essentially part of the alternator. Looks to be a $100 part if its part# PE0315980B. Might as well change the belts too.
5470055.jpg

Not a part of the alternator, and yes, both belts will be changed. I'm interested in seeing what that water pump "stretch" belt is like.

Interesting... Dude, you don't use your AC in Texas o_O???
Just about ask the same question! In Texas summer the air from outside is warmer than your body temperature, you can only feel the hot air blowing into your face if you leave the window open which is not comfortable! Must be a few ones I know really enjoy the hot weather!
(beer)

Very rarely. Generally if its less than 95, I can enjoy the window down roof open. I prefer to have my windows open because I like the open vs cooped up. I spend enough time indoors at home or work. I fly with the window open on the cessna sometimes too. If I start getting sweaty I'll close It though.

Dang, some people are made for hotter climates. Texas must suit you well.

Looks like it's near the last markView attachment 214593

I see... Can other members with similar mileage chime in on this?

Looks like an easy part to change... I know those sure make changing belts easy.

Access looks small, but manageable. I think when it comes time to do mine, I will use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If it's leaking then that's a problem. The more that leaks out the more ineffective it is.

We probably should create a checklist for stuff to self inspect at 50-60k miles. Maybe even stuff to inspect before warranty expires.

I inspected the 2.0 CX-5 @55k miles and the tensioner is dry. Brand new looking. Then I inspected the Mazda6 with 17k miles and I noticed oil on the black rubber boot of the tensioner. I'm going to try to wipe it off and see if oil re-emerges. Hopefully I can get the dealership to change it under warranty. Looks to be same part number for both 2.0 and 2.5 skyactive engines.

Back