P5 meets deer

hpmaxim

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
A deer was fawning all over my car (Ahhh, I kill myself, or more likely the deer) back when the previous owner (aka, my father) owned the vehicle. He or she got too close a look at the door and fendet and there are dents and scratches in both. In the case of the door though, the door "feels" messed up. Instead of a nice solid thud when closing the door, it's more like a nice clangy sound.

I was in a junkyard and saw a P5 whose door was disassembled and realized what the problem was. There seems to be a semi-solid goop that bonds the door skin to the side impact beam and said goop cracked and so now the skin flexes a bit and smacks into the beam.

So the question is, what is the best goop to use to repair this. I assume I want a fairly thick, sticky, tarry adhesive goop. Has to be able to build up at least a few mm.

You're probably referring to seam sealer... available at any body shop supply store. However you're not going to very easily get it in there.

I'd probably try some expanding foam, that's probably your best bet.

Why can't you get seam sealer in? I worry that foam will be too light and too squeaky. I had considered that. Perhaps the heavier weight epoxy foam might work, would be a horrible mess though.

You would have to push the door skin out, apply the seam sealer, and then release and let it cure. You'd be more likely to damage it that way. Expanding foam will work perfectly fine, just don't use too much. But it will expand in there and fill in all the gaps between the skin and the brace without having to do anything to it. A little goes a long way, there's enough in one can to completely fill the door with foam and then your window wouldn't work ;)

I wouldn't worry about it being too light. The stuff dries where it's semi-pliable but quite firm and hard. Plus it's a lot cheaper, about $3 per can as opposed to $15-20 for a tube of seam sealer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...acks-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-162848/100003351

Back