Carrier bearing help...

Rebel Yankee

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Been using you all as a reference for our 2007 CX-9 FWD for a long time and this is the first time I have had a question.

After 120,000 miles, I took my CX-9 to the dealer for the first time today (really). Only went because of the lower control arm recall. While they had the car on the lift, I asked them to check on a front grinding noise I have had for a while. Of course the first thought is wheel bearing. I believe the noise to be coming from the drivers side, so I replaced the wheel bearing (pressed in myself). That didn't fix it so I blamed the wheel bearing (aftermarket) and ordered a new steering knuckle with a bearing already pressed in (I had bent the old steering knuckle while pressing in the first wheel bearing, so thought I would just replace the whole thing). Last weekend I installed the new steering knuckle with a new hub and the noise is actually worse. Happens all the time and is more pronounced at speeds up to 30mph or so. I have the Grand Touring with the large tires and they make a lot of noise, so they just drown out the noise.

So the dealer took a look at it for me and told me the bearings were fine. They can hear the noise and think it is coming from the passenger side carrier bearing and suggested that be replaced before anything else. If that doesn't fix it they said it is most likely transmission related.

So I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone think of another reason for a consistent noise (grinding) most noticeable around 20-30mph, but still there all the time. Does not go away when I hit the brakes and changes with the speed of the car, not the transmission.
2. I have the service manual, but is there a best practice when replacing the carrier bearing? Do I need to remove the shaft completely or just separate?

Appreciate all the help over the years!

Jamie

Jamie,

My wife's 09 CX9 is making a creaking sound that I'm starting to think might be the carrier bearing. She's closing in on 140K miles. Hers sounds more like rubber on rubber sound. Think of it sounding like when you walk on a smooth surface with wet shoes only more muted(if that makes any sense). I thought it was the rubber boots on the CV joints so I sprayed them with a little WD40. It seemed to help, but I'm not sure since 2 days later it still there(or maybe it's back after the WD wore/washed away).

I would also like to know the extent of disassembly to replace the carrier bearing.

One thing I'm going to try is spray some sort of lube around the bearing to see if it changes. If it makes any difference(good or bad), that should help pinpoint the issue.

Latest posts

Back