CX5 17 to 19 Question

dmccray

:
Mazda CX 5
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased my CX5 about a week ago and am really enjoying it. I have the touring trim, and was considering switching the 17" OEM tires for the Grand Touring's 19" rims and tires.

I know some people have done this switch, or they go back and forth between the 17 and 19's for winter/summer time. The dealer had told me if i go from the 17" to 19" i may have to reprogram the car so the ABS isn't affected.

Can anyone who has done this transition let me know if they found that to be the case, as well as if there was any ramifications to their speedo, odometer and TPMS? If there is was reprogramming the car a necessity to correct it?

I really appreciate any insight you guys can offer here.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased my CX5 about a week ago and am really enjoying it. I have the touring trim, and was considering switching the 17" OEM tires for the Grand Touring's 19" rims and tires.

I know some people have done this switch, or they go back and forth between the 17 and 19's for winter/summer time. The dealer had told me if i go from the 17" to 19" i may have to reprogram the car so the ABS isn't affected.

Can anyone who has done this transition let me know if they found that to be the case, as well as if there was any ramifications to their speedo, odometer and TPMS? If there is was reprogramming the car a necessity to correct it?

I really appreciate any insight you guys can offer here.

Thanks!

After you make the wheel/tire swap, or after inflating you tires anytime, you can "RE-PROGRAM" the car yourself by holding the TPMS button in until you hear the beep.(laugh)

Yes i had heard that i could do that myself for the TPMS. The dealer referenced reprogramming the ABS to ensure it works properly with the new size tires. I was curious if that was an actual necessity or just the dealer trying to make additional money? I've never swapped tire sizes before so i appreciate the help.

Last edited:
The CX-5 has a passive TPMS which means there is no actual sensor inside the rim like on some cars. It works by sensing the speed of rotation for each wheel and if one has low psi it will read the difference in speed of that wheel and alert you. The 17" rim and the 19" each get their own size of tires but the outside diameter of those tires are the same or close enough where it won't matter. Think of two circles, one inside of the other, the outer circle remains the same but the inside circle, your rim, changes. If you make the swap to 19's all you have to do is press and hold the TPMS button until it beeps and you'll be set, nothing for the dealership to do. Just make sure you have correct tire pressure before hand and the tires are cold (not driven on or in the sun) when you do it.

Yes i had heard that i could do that myself for the TPMS. The dealer referenced reprogramming the ABS to ensure it works properly with the new size tires. I was curious if that was an actual necessity or just the dealer trying to make additional money? I've never swapped tire sizes before so i appreciate the help.

While on this site, I have yet to hear of this "REPROGRAMMING" ever being done for ABS... but I would love to ask a tech who knows...

You can get pretty straight forward answers contacting Mazda directly, and bypassing the dealer.

Okay thanks for the help everyone. The tire pressure for the 19's is 36 psi vs 34 psi for the 17's correct?

I swap my 19's for 17's every winter and the reverse in spring. I have NEVER had anything "reprogrammed" and I have also NEVER had to reset the TPMS. It has been "swap-and-go" every single time.

The CX-5 has a passive TPMS which means there is no actual sensor inside the rim like on some cars. It works by sensing the speed of rotation for each wheel and if one has low psi it will read the difference in speed of that wheel and alert you. The 17" rim and the 19" each get their own size of tires but the outside diameter of those tires are the same or close enough where it won't matter. Think of two circles, one inside of the other, the outer circle remains the same but the inside circle, your rim, changes. If you make the swap to 19's all you have to do is press and hold the TPMS button until it beeps and you'll be set, nothing for the dealership to do. Just make sure you have correct tire pressure before hand and the tires are cold (not driven on or in the sun) when you do it.

Good to know, thanks!

Back