is it possible to change my seats to a bench seat so I can tolerate longer drives?

:
2015 Mazda3
I've driven far before like 12 hour drives in smaller cars. I'm not sure how I did it but the recent 3 hour vacation drive somewhere seem to just made my driving not so comfy. I asked around and wondered how those truck drivers can drive for long hours without sitting fatigue. I was told their trucks are equipped with bench seats. You can sit on it for hours without feeling uncomfortable. Taxi cabs also uses these types of seats. Is it possible to have these installed in my 2015 Mazda 3?

Last edited:
Actually, you should get out and walk around every 2-3 hours. This is true whether you are in a plane or car. But if you regularly drive for hours at a time, you can always get gel pads to support specific areas of your butt and back to prevent soreness. Higher end vehicles tend to have this aspect covered with well thought-out orthopedically-shaped seats that have many adjustments to suite any of a number of physiques.

I asked around and wondered how those truck drivers can drive for long hours without sitting fatigue. I was told their trucks are equipped with bench seats. You can sit on it for hours without feeling uncomfortable. Taxi cabs also uses these types of seats. Is it possible to have these installed in my 2015 Mazda 3?
Well, you were told wrong. A bench seat is one that goes the full width off the car with no console in the middle, like the back seat but in the front. Taxi's just have the standard seat that the car rolled of the assembly line with which in some cases would be a bench seat. Big rig seats have air suspension to absorb bumps that the super stiff suspension can't. They also seat you upright like a normal chair because those trucks have a ton of headroom. It would be impossible to put such a seat in a normal car because there isn't enough head room.

That said the seats in my 08 Mazda 3 are some of the best I have ever sat in for long trips. I can go 3 hours with little to no fatigue. Its sad that Mazda hasn't kept that up that aspect in the new 3s.

Back