Service Bulletin on Ignition Switches

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Article is sort of vague in describing which cars are affected/how affected. Questions I have are would this be affecting only manual cars or both manual and automatics although automatics have push start ignition and is this covered under the power train warranty vs bumper to bumper. Guess I'll have to call the dealership to find out.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2014-mazda-ignition-switch-issue-1420684781414/

Article is sort of vague in describing which cars are affected/how affected. Questions I have are would this be affecting only manual cars or both manual and automatics although automatics have push start ignition and is this covered under the power train warranty vs bumper to bumper. Guess I'll have to call the dealership to find out.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2014-mazda-ignition-switch-issue-1420684781414/

Since your car may be affected call the dealer with your VIN#. They should be able to check and let you know.

I am absolutely astonished that Cars.com is publishing info on TSBs in this hysteria inducing manner. And it's not just this one instance, they apparently have been doing this for all makes and models for some period of time. TSBs are internal documents meant to help dealer service departments identify reported defects and cut diagnostic time which benefits the manufacturer, the dealer and the customer. These are NOT RECALL NOTICES and Cars.com advice to ""Call your local dealer with your vehicle’s identification number to determine if it’s involved in this service bulletin." (and then to list a customer service phone # for Lexus!!) before you even experience the damned problem is the height of irresponsibility.

I am absolutely astonished that Cars.com is publishing info on TSBs in this hysteria inducing manner.

I agree with you. TSB's are really not something that needs to be published on mainstream websites.

However, this specific issue can easily cause a driver to leave a running car in a garage leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Drawing some attention to this TSB might save someones life.

I am absolutely astonished that Cars.com is publishing info on TSBs in this hysteria inducing manner. And it's not just this one instance, they apparently have been doing this for all makes and models for some period of time. TSBs are internal documents meant to help dealer service departments identify reported defects and cut diagnostic time which benefits the manufacturer, the dealer and the customer. These are NOT RECALL NOTICES and Cars.com advice to ""Call your local dealer with your vehicles identification number to determine if its involved in this service bulletin." (and then to list a customer service phone # for Lexus!!) before you even experience the damned problem is the height of irresponsibility.
You're right, TSB is not a "safety" recall. But I don't mind the mainstream media on Internet to publish it warning the public. Don't we have a sticky thread here dedicated to all TSB's? You said TSB's would benefit customers, then what's wrong to let more customers know the potential issues via Internet? I myself benefited by these TSB's published in this community and even the service advisor of my dealer appreciated the TSB information I brought up to his attention. It's also nice to bring up attention of car owners for some potential problems which may soon be out of warranty. Right here is a perfect example that CX-5um saw the article at Cars.com and he can immediately have his dealer fixing the problem before the warranty expires if his CX-5 is indeed showing the symptoms.

I am absolutely astonished that Cars.com is publishing info on TSBs in this hysteria inducing manner. And it's not just this one instance, they apparently have been doing this for all makes and models for some period of time. TSBs are internal documents meant to help dealer service departments identify reported defects and cut diagnostic time which benefits the manufacturer, the dealer and the customer. These are NOT RECALL NOTICES and Cars.com advice to ""Call your local dealer with your vehicles identification number to determine if its involved in this service bulletin." (and then to list a customer service phone # for Lexus!!) before you even experience the damned problem is the height of irresponsibility.

The problem is most dealers are clueless to TSB's. I had one when I bought my Maxima and I had to print it and tell them there was an issue to get it fixed. I had to do the same on my mirror shake for my cx5. It's ridicules that a consumer has to tell a technician what's wrong with their car. Also I find no hysteria by them reading their article. I guarantee my dealer won't have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least half of the posts here missed my point partly or entirely. I have no problem with widespread distribution of TSB subject matter. I read them myself just to keep abreast of what might go wrong down the road so I'll be prepared. But the operative word here is "might", because we consumers have no way of knowing whether that TSB was generated after 4 ignition switches failed or 400! So what kind or a web site tells its readers to call their dealer just to see if their vehicle "might" someday be affected by this problem and possibly get into a pissing contest with the service manager over trying to get the dealer to replace the switch simply because it falls into a group of VINs that "may be" affected...someday?

At least half of the posts here missed my point partly or entirely. I have no problem with widespread distribution of TSB subject matter. I read them myself just to keep abreast of what might go wrong down the road so I'll be prepared. But the operative word here is "might", because we consumers have no way of knowing whether that TSB was generated after 4 ignition switches failed or 400! So what kind or a web site tells its readers to call their dealer just to see if their vehicle "might" someday be affected by this problem and possibly get into a pissing contest with the service manager over trying to get the dealer to replace the switch simply because it falls into a group of VINs that "may be" affected...someday?

Totally agree. I always had a hard time explaining TSBs to customers. They hear of something or see something online and want to know if their car is involved. In this case, has your car not shut off when you hit the off button? No? Well you're not involved. That's how TSBs work.

Incidentally, this happened to my 2014 CX-5 last summer. Every few days I couldn't get the car to shut off. The engine cut but the accessories wouldn't. I walked in with TSB info, they thanked me for my help and they fixed it. I like reading TSBs and I like that they are out there, but they don't affect you like recalls.

The problem is most dealers are clueless to TSB's. I had one when I bought my Maxima and I had to print it and tell them there was an issue to get it fixed. I had to do the same on my mirror shake for my cx5. It's ridicules that a consumer has to tell a technician what's wrong with their car. Also I find no hysteria by them reading their article. I guarantee my dealer won't have a clue.

This is an absurd statement. Dealers know what the TSB's are. A simple call to tech line or a search in their Intranet and it comes up. Having worked for a couple dealers for over 15 years, I know this to be the case. It falls on the consumer to properly relay what they are experiencing so the technician/service manager knows what to look for. Also, if the technician cannot duplicate the issue, they cannot diagnose it.

You may have had an issue at one time with a TSB, but to make a blanket statement that dealers are clueless about TSB's and the product they work on 24/7 is asinine. One bad apple does not always ruin the bunch....

this is an absurd statement. Dealers know what the tsb's are. A simple call to tech line or a search in their intranet and it comes up. Having worked for a couple dealers for over 15 years, i know this to be the case. It falls on the consumer to properly relay what they are experiencing so the technician/service manager knows what to look for. Also, if the technician cannot duplicate the issue, they cannot diagnose it.

You may have had an issue at one time with a tsb, but to make a blanket statement that dealers are clueless about tsb's and the product they work on 24/7 is asinine. One bad apple does not always ruin the bunch....
amen!

Totally agree. I always had a hard time explaining TSBs to customers. They hear of something or see something online and want to know if their car is involved. In this case, has your car not shut off when you hit the off button? No? Well you're not involved. That's how TSBs work.

Incidentally, this happened to my 2014 CX-5 last summer. Every few days I couldn't get the car to shut off. The engine cut but the accessories wouldn't. I walked in with TSB info, they thanked me for my help and they fixed it. I like reading TSBs and I like that they are out there, but they don't affect you like recalls.

Thanks this was really helpful. I decided not to do anything because well I haven't experienced the symptoms associated with this TSB.

OP, probably best to slide this thread over to the TSB thread?

This is an absurd statement. Dealers know what the TSB's are. A simple call to tech line or a search in their Intranet and it comes up. Having worked for a couple dealers for over 15 years, I know this to be the case. It falls on the consumer to properly relay what they are experiencing so the technician/service manager knows what to look for. Also, if the technician cannot duplicate the issue, they cannot diagnose it.

You may have had an issue at one time with a TSB, but to make a blanket statement that dealers are clueless about TSB's and the product they work on 24/7 is asinine. One bad apple does not always ruin the bunch....

Hit a nerve I see. I had this same experience with multiple TSB's at multiple dealers on my 2000 maxima and recently my 3 year old Cx5. As a consumer we know more about the vehicles we buy than the retread sales monkeys and trainees that pass for technicians. I have printed and brought in every tsb to head scratching incompetent service advisors, so yes it happens. TSB's clearly state the problems and the repair procedure. A child could explain them as they even include pictures!

Mazda didn't even know about the rear brake caliper TSB and wouldn't except my copy because it wasn't in their corporate database. Why, because dealers don't search the Internet for TSB's, they are told about them directly from corporate. Guess what, I called Mazda USA and they had to call the dealer and tell them to replace my breaks for free. My point is if you sell a service you should do the research and educate yourself about the products you sell. TSB's protect consumers from issues that shoddy stealer-ships refuse to acknowledge. Yes there are lots a bad apples and educating oneself is the only way to guard against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit a nerve I see. I had this same experience with multiple TSB's at multiple dealers on my 2000 maxima and recently my 3 year old Cx5. As a consumer we know more about the vehicles we buy than the retread sales monkeys and trainees that pass for technicians. I have printed and brought in every tsb to head scratching incompetent service advisors, so yes it happens. Mazda didn't even know about the rear brake caliper TSB and wouldn't except my copy because it wasn't in their database. Why, because dealers don't search the Internet for TSB's, they are told about them directly from corporate. Guess what, I called Mazda USA and they had to call the dealer and tell them to replace my breaks for free. My point is if you sell a service you should do the research and educate yourself about the products you sell. TSB's protect consumers from issues that shoddy stealer-ships refuse to acknowledge. Yes there are lots a bad apples and educating oneself is the only way to guard against them.
And speaking of educating yourself, try working on your spelling.

Back