Will Mazda ever include panorama sunroof?

Yeah, I am just seriously off-put that they are pedalling that BS. "Oh, it's for performance!" Great. So delete the GT/Tech trim. Extra weight slowing that rocket down. Sport model ALL the models!

So much fail in that $45K family hauler.

yeah they definitely went the wrong way with the CX9. I mean I think its great to keep performance and handling as a priority when making Mazda vehicles. But the CX9 is the one vehicle where it really matters the LEAST. At the end of the day, that is the one vehicle where it should have every tech feature that is available on any other car in that segment. It truly is a family hauler and needs to have those tv screen for those kids, panorama, etc. Because that's exactly what families want when looking for a vehicle in this class. Mom isn't gonna care that it can handle "like" a car. Dad will appreciate it and certainly have fun but looking at what you get at that cost, you gotta start to become picky. Its up there in the top best looking vehicles though. Mazda continues to nail it in that department.

I see a video on Youtube about new cx-9, they interviewed a Mazda cx-9 engineer ask them why no panoramic roof, he said it is because the weight and for best fuel efficiency and performance.

Lets see, Would it weigh more? Yes
Would it cut fuel efficiency? Yes
Would it hurt performance? Yes.

The guy knows his stuff.

If I could have ordered my CX-5 without a sun roof I would have.

Zoom Zoom

Lets see, Would it weigh more? Yes
Would it cut fuel efficiency? Yes
Would it hurt performance? Yes.

The guy knows his stuff.

If I could have ordered my CX-5 without a sun roof I would have.

Zoom Zoom

Then you could complain about your mileage like I do with my Touring model sans sunroof and roof-rack that can only get 23.5mpg average 70% highway/30% city.

Seriously. Skipping burgerking once a week will get more mileage/performance gains than a non-pano roof.

This reminds me of all those guys who ripped the crash-support out from behind their front bumpers on their Civic's back when I was in highschool to make their "race cars" faster. Except it's a paid engineer, not a safety issue, and not even a pretend race-car.

Then you could complain about your mileage like I do with my Touring model sans sunroof and roof-rack that can only get 23.5mpg average 70% highway/30% city.

Seriously. Skipping burgerking once a week will get more mileage/performance gains than a non-pano roof.

This reminds me of all those guys who ripped the crash-support out from behind their front bumpers on their Civic's back when I was in highschool to make their "race cars" faster. Except it's a paid engineer, not a safety issue, and not even a pretend race-car.

Since I have no use for the sunroof I'd prefer a sunroof delete option to: -Lower cost of vehicle price and provide a cooler cabin. I get more than my share of sun lol. Not to mention risk of the thing shattering (knock on wood) as I'm not sure if the sunroof glass is tempered. That said kudos to Mazda for making a sunroof that doesn't seem to hinder headroom too much nor induce noticeable structural loss. Both my Mazdas easily have the most rigid (yet light) frames of all cars owned.

I don't see any connection between the facts he presented and Burger King, MPG complaints, or race cars. All powered vehicles have a level of performance. Dump trucks, mini vans, corvettes. There isn't a "Race car" line and above that line nothing matters, below that line everything matters. The difference between manufactures is what they decide matters. One decides WIFI matters another 10in info screen, another panoramic sun roof.

I totally disagree with what GM seems to think matters in a vehicle. That doesn't make them or me an idiot. It just means I don't buy GM. I like the way Mazda thinks. I like there priorities. There decisions have produced the Mazda6, Mazda3, CX-5 and Minta and I like them all.

The only idiot would be a person who continues to own and drive a car they don't like.

I don't see any connection between the facts he presented and Burger King, MPG complaints, or race cars. All powered vehicles have a level of performance. Dump trucks, mini vans, corvettes. There isn't a "Race car" line and above that line nothing matters, below that line everything matters. The difference between manufactures is what they decide matters. One decides WIFI matters another 10in info screen, another panoramic sun roof.

I totally disagree with what GM seems to think matters in a vehicle. That doesn't make them or me an idiot. It just means I don't buy GM. I like the way Mazda thinks. I like there priorities. There decisions have produced the Mazda6, Mazda3, CX-5 and Minta and I like them all.

The only idiot would be a person who continues to own and drive a car they don't like.

I'd like for that engineer to quantify how much mileage one gives up to a pano moon-roof and then compare it to the roof-racks Mazda sticks up there...

Hi all

Personally I think sunroofs/moonroofs or whatever are a complete waste of time. It all adds complication, cost and the possibility of future leaks when it rains. What is the point of having a sunroof when you have aircon? I'm 6 feet 1inch tall and very well remember the days when sunroofs were standard on higher trim levels which meant I could not buy them. The sunroof headliner reduced the headroom so much on some cars I had to recline the seat to a ridiculous extent.I even got accused by some dealers whilst in the showroom of being "too tall" and as a result, my own fault (smash). Obviously, the headroom would not be an issue in a CX5 or CX9 but I still think my other points are still valid.

In Britain the SEL Luxe has a sunroof which was a major decision in me NOT buying that trim level. Why not have sunroofs as an optional extra?

Just my thoughts.

Jonno21

Hi all

Personally I think sunroofs/moonroofs or whatever are a complete waste of time. It all adds complication, cost and the possibility of future leaks when it rains. What is the point of having a sunroof when you have aircon? I'm 6 feet 1inch tall and very well remember the days when sunroofs were standard on higher trim levels which meant I could not buy them. The sunroof headliner reduced the headroom so much on some cars I had to recline the seat to a ridiculous extent.I even got accused by some dealers whilst in the showroom of being "too tall" and as a result, my own fault (smash). Obviously, the headroom would not be an issue in a CX5 or CX9 but I still think my other points are still valid.

In Britain the SEL Luxe has a sunroof which was a major decision in me NOT buying that trim level. Why not have sunroofs as an optional extra?

Just my thoughts.

Jonno21

Valid thoughts and concerns. I just think there are just more people who rather have a sunroof than those that don't so it's become a standard thing on higher level trim vehicles.

I won't buy a vehicle without one. Unless it's a mustang. Nothing better than a crisp spring/fall evening drive with the sunroof open. But I understand your thoughts. Although, is sunroofs leaking really a thing anymore? I never hear of it.

Valid thoughts and concerns. I just think there are just more people who rather have a sunroof than those that don't so it's become a standard thing on higher level trim vehicles.

I won't buy a vehicle without one. Unless it's a mustang. Nothing better than a crisp spring/fall evening drive with the sunroof open. But I understand your thoughts. Although, is sunroofs leaking really a thing anymore? I never hear of it.

Yes. It is very much a personal perference. I am in the no sun roof camp having spending a good part of my childhood in a tropical country. There is no right or wrong. I just wish it could be optioned in or out even for the top trim.

I won't say leaking sun roof is very common nowadays but it is not unheard off especially if you live in countries with harsh UV. The rubber seal will become fray and could start to leak causing corrosion to the sunroof frame. Seen cases in some Honda myself. Usually happens post warranty !

I'll keep my moon roof... people in general spend too much time all cooped up inside at work, inside at home, inside in the car. I like the wind and breeze, feeling of movement through the air. The next best is an open cockpit plane or motorcycle. I don't recall any sunroof of my own or in my family ever having problems with leakage or operating mechanisms.

Since I have no use for the sunroof I'd prefer a sunroof delete option to: -Lower cost of vehicle price and provide a cooler cabin. I get more than my share of sun lol. Not to mention risk of the thing shattering (knock on wood) as I'm not sure if the sunroof glass is tempered. That said kudos to Mazda for making a sunroof that doesn't seem to hinder headroom too much nor induce noticeable structural loss. Both my Mazdas easily have the most rigid (yet light) frames of all cars owned.
All of the larger "glass" in the roofs of vehicles I have had has been Lexan or similar, and not actual "glass".

I'll keep my moon roof... people in general spend too much time all cooped up inside at work, inside at home, inside in the car. I like the wind and breeze, feeling of movement through the air. The next best is an open cockpit plane or motorcycle. I don't recall any sunroof of my own or in my family ever having problems with leakage or operating mechanisms.

My Jeep's broke, lmao

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I should have specified 'fzcking tag-teaming cancer', I do apologize for not being 100% clear.

Tbh unob/yrewi engages in actual conversation with other users just fine. People have different opinions and there will be discussion. If all we had were members who asked repeated questions, agreed on everything, and weren't creating discussion this place would be boring and have a low population... some people don't accept every explanation given as absolute. go look at the mazda 3 forum here, it's way less active and I'm willing to bet more of the 3 owners are of my generation (social media millenials). On that note, if you have a legitimate concern about a user, pm me. But difference in opinion (wether it's "negative" or not) is not a legitimate concern.

Why are unobtanium and yrwei such fzcking cancer on these boards? What a couple of [roosters].
Wait, I didn't even post anything in this thread for a while, now I suddenly become the cancel on this board? (uhm)

Why a panoramic sunroof in the first place? Can you see out it from the front seat? Thought it was dumb the first time I saw one, still do.

Last edited:
Tbh unob/yrewi engages in actual conversation with other users just fine. People have different opinions and there will be discussion. If all we had were members who asked repeated questions, agreed on everything, and weren't creating discussion this place would be boring and have a low population... some people don't accept every explanation given as absolute. go look at the mazda 3 forum here, it's way less active and I'm willing to bet more of the 3 owners are of my generation (social media millenials). On that note, if you have a legitimate concern about a user, pm me. But difference in opinion (wether it's "negative" or not) is not a legitimate concern.
Thanks Chris for saying something on this. I hate people are doing personal attacks whenever others are having different opinions or simply stating the fact they think is "negative". Not to mention those who overlooked the contributions we have made to this board helping owners with questions and problems!

Back