Mazda Being Sold off to Toyota?

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Motor Trend in their August issue claim that talks are underway for Mazda to sell their company to car giant Toyota.

If this becomes true, then I would probably never buy another Mazda again. Toyota makes boring cars and I believe Mazda would lose its "car soul" if it was sold and taken over by Toyota.

I doubt Toyota buying out Mazda (if true) would be noticeable. I'm sure Toyota will let Mazda run on it's own and it's not going to be like a Toyota logo slapped on every Mazda car or every Mazda having to follow Toyota's styling, etc.

Just as a side note, Ford owns a part of Mazda already.

Motor Trend is notorious for stories that have no merit. lets see if any other sources comment on this. Though I have often wondered how Mazda is making it based on how few units they sell.

I doubt Toyota buying out Mazda (if true) would be noticeable. I'm sure Toyota will let Mazda run on it's own and it's not going to be like a Toyota logo slapped on every Mazda car or every Mazda having to follow Toyota's styling, etc.

Just as a side note, Ford owns a part of Mazda already.
Ford sold their part back to Mazda few years back.

This is an old article from last year that many have probably seen but gives some info about current partnership.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...rtnership-to-share-technologies-confront-cost

"Toyota engineers say privately that their company has been quietly benchmarking the comparatively tiny Japanese rival, fascinated by its uncanny ability to churn out high-quality vehicles on a shoestring budget -- and to do so profitably from high-cost Japan."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160618/OEM/306209971/toyotas-new-spirit-of-cooperation

"Cooperating with Mazda has given Toyota insights into how to manufacture in Mexico, as Toyota prepares to open its first large-scale plant there. Mazda manufactures a version of its Mazda2 sedan in Mexico for Toyota to sell in the U.S."

http://www.automotivemanufacturingsolutions.com/from-the-editor/japans-oems-continue-consolidate

"Toyota will complete its takeover of Daihatsu later this year and already effectively controls Subaru. Since 2015, it has also had a wide-ranging technical alliance with Mazda, although without any capital involvement on either side.

Full control of Subaru and Mazda by the largest Japanese car company may well transpire before too long. Ahead of such a development, Nissan has taken a 34% stake in troubled Mitsubishi by way of a fresh capital injection. This move, moreover, gives Nissan control over key decisions regarding Mitsubishi’s strategy and direction. Honda remains independent, as does Suzuki, but the smaller Japanese brands are gradually morphing into larger groups."

Last edited:
I hope it happens, in the UK you get a 5 year warranty with Toyota, only 3 years with Mazda which are not as reliable, (diesel problems).

I'd rather a shorter warranty period than a Mazda product that's been Toyota-fied.

If Toyota is willing to leave Mazda be with R&D and just Inject capital to increase production, I wouldn't mind so much. Pull TMG out of WEC and let Mazda attack LMP1-H with some sort of spiritual successor to the 787B. Yes, please.

I hope it happens, in the UK you get a 5 year warranty with Toyota, only 3 years with Mazda which are not as reliable, (diesel problems).

Bentley is owned by VW, Rolls Royce is BMW (by way of VW). Auto business is hard and tends to gravitate this way - small brands just don't have the capital to make the necessary upgrades over time. Ford owned a huge chunk of Mazda for a long while. Toyota and Mazda have been partnered for awhile... the Scion iA is just a rebadged Mazda2.

Last edited:
Toyota has a spirited past. Mazda RX-S (upra)?

I always thought the A80 Supra would have been a fast & fun ride...

1.jpg

Toyota%20Supra%20(2).jpg

Last edited:
I always thought the A80 Supra would have been a fast & fun ride...

1.jpg

Toyota%20Supra%20(2).jpg

We had one in the family. Really cool 90s Jap sports car. I was a little bit younger then, but one time I got to drive it to school and I felt like a rock star. Really nice highway cruisers. I see one in my neighborhood that is super clean and red just like the pic above.

I guess you can say Toyota does make a Supra, but its a Lexus and they call it the RC:

Lexus-RC-300-f-sport-style-overview-1204x555-LEXRCGMY15007501.jpg

BTW, the Fast and Furious 15th anniversary was just a couple of days ago...

I'd rather a shorter warranty period than a Mazda product that's been Toyota-fied.

If Toyota is willing to leave Mazda be with R&D and just Inject capital to increase production, I wouldn't mind so much. Pull TMG out of WEC and let Mazda attack LMP1-H with some sort of spiritual successor to the 787B. Yes, please.

It could actually improve the Toyota experience, same as Ford did with Mazda.
I have only had one Toyota a Carina 2, it was 100% reliable and a quality car, the the handling was dire.

We had one in the family. Really cool 90s Jap sports car. I was a little bit younger then, but one time I got to drive it to school and I felt like a rock star. Really nice highway cruisers. I see one in my neighborhood that is super clean and red just like the pic above.

I guess you can say Toyota does make a Supra, but its a Lexus and they call it the RC:

Lexus-RC-300-f-sport-style-overview-1204x555-LEXRCGMY15007501.jpg

BTW, the Fast and Furious 15th anniversary was just a couple of days ago...
Next Toyota Supra
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-toyota-supra-performance-news-specs/

Interesting BMW/Toyota collaboration on that next Supra.... Nissan is starting to use Mercedes motors for the small displacement motors in their Infiniti line (Q30).

Back