Issue with Navigation

:
2019 CX5 GT-R
Hi All

In my 2016 CX5 the navigation at times goes Crazy. If you see the attached screen shot, the Triangle arrow should be ideally in the Red line (Erin Mills Pkwy).
Very rarely it happens and if i continue to drive the arrow representing the car finally jumps and corrects itself.

any thoughts ?

IMG_20160620_160638.jpg

Either the map is off a bit or your antenna is being blocked from the satellites which are in the south sky. The further north you are the lower the angle to the horizon to "see" the satellites so you guys up north are more likely to have a problem. If you have Sirius radio, does it cut out at the same time?

Either the map is off a bit or your antenna is being blocked from the satellites which are in the south sky. The further north you are the lower the angle to the horizon to "see" the satellites so you guys up north are more likely to have a problem. If you have Sirius radio, does it cut out at the same time?

Thanks for the pointers, Let me check the Sirius radio. I hardly use it. I remember my friend always facing the issue with Sirius,. Between earlier i had a Garmin GPS and it never happened with that.

GPS satellites are not in geosynchronous orbits. Sirius-XM satellites are in equatorial geosynchronous orbits. GPS depends on clear views to multiple sats whose positions are scattered around the spherical radius at your position, not in the south sky. I believe the location problem is due to a computational error, a limited view of the sky, or dependency on too-few satellites.

I was wrong on the GPS satellites being in south sky. If it occurs at the same spot it is likely a map error. I have an old Garmin that likes to jump to a parallel road at a certain spot.

Nope, its still present. after some time it gets corrected by itself. So not sure this a genuine issue or it has to do with some broken Satellite signals

What firmware ver you have? I just got my brand new CX5 and had Nav issue when I drove out the lot. Took forever to lock my location and can loose connection and also like yours it will show I am blocks or qtr mile off. Let me know what ver firmware you have. Is in settings and i think under system then About.

What firmware ver you have? I just got my brand new CX5 and had Nav issue when I drove out the lot. Took forever to lock my location and can loose connection and also like yours it will show I am blocks or qtr mile off. Let me know what ver firmware you have. Is in settings and i think under system then About.

OS Version is 55.00.753 NA N
Fail-Safe Version is 55.00.753

OS Version is 55.00.753 NA N
Fail-Safe Version is 55.00.753

Find a time to go in and tell them yr issues. They hv new firmware and is 55.00.760. Make sure you tell them to wipe out the whole thing then download the new version. I had to bring it in 2x since i got the car 2 weeks ago. First try it upload but didnt resolve any of my issues. Then few days afterwards I brought it back and they reset everything to factory and download it and also was in touch with Mazda hotline to be sure all the steps were done correct. Had the car back for few days and alot better. If i'm in underground lot it does take few mins to lock my position but besides that it has been ok

Find a time to go in and tell them yr issues. They hv new firmware and is 55.00.760. Make sure you tell them to wipe out the whole thing then download the new version. I had to bring it in 2x since i got the car 2 weeks ago. First try it upload but didnt resolve any of my issues. Then few days afterwards I brought it back and they reset everything to factory and download it and also was in touch with Mazda hotline to be sure all the steps were done correct. Had the car back for few days and alot better. If i'm in underground lot it does take few mins to lock my position but besides that it has been ok

Damn I have to check when I get off work but pretty sure I am still on the .530 version. I was just in last Thursday for an oil change and I specifically asked them to check for an update. I have to confirm what version I am first though.

Damn I have to check when I get off work but pretty sure I am still on the .530 version. I was just in last Thursday for an oil change and I specifically asked them to check for an update. I have to confirm what version I am first though.

Yea for sure. I was disappointed and address my concern and also a safety thing in a way with the Nav since mine was way off and does not lock on position. In addition I was not expecting a brand new car having Nav issues when driving off the lot(spin). To my knowledge, it looks like even when new they don't update the firmware when arrive at dealership. I have asked them if it still does not work they will need to look into replacing the antenna and or the unit itself, but they say they have to duplicate the issue and or I have to snap pix of the screen being off along with satellite not locking in before Mazda will do anything. Lucky enough after resetting and downloading the newest firmware it fixes the problem.

Yea for sure. I was disappointed and address my concern and also a safety thing in a way with the Nav since mine was way off and does not lock on position. In addition I was not expecting a brand new car having Nav issues when driving off the lot(spin). To my knowledge, it looks like even when new they don't update the firmware when arrive at dealership. I have asked them if it still does not work they will need to look into replacing the antenna and or the unit itself, but they say they have to duplicate the issue and or I have to snap pix of the screen being off along with satellite not locking in before Mazda will do anything. Lucky enough after resetting and downloading the newest firmware it fixes the problem.

Yup, i agree, its very risky on the road when the NAV fails to locate the cars exact location. The fishy part is it was never there for the first one month of ownership,
started since last month only. Anyway will ask the dealer to reset and do an upgrade. Yes, dealers here are hopeless

Mine does this too. I just took a vacation with the family and at times used Google Nav in addition. This is one of the coolest NAV units and one of the worst NAV units that I've owned...
The 3D topography is awesome and I love going through tunnels when it switches to "tunnel mode" (as my kids call it). It has nice lane guidance most of the time. BUT, it has me jumping all over the map, especially when there are off-ramps. It will almost always put me on the off-ramp, then recalculate route, then realize I am on the freeway, switch me back, and re-recalculate route back to the original. When in a dense city like Seattle I have actually missed exits due to its imprecision. I will take mine into the dealership too as I am not sure the version I am on at the moment...
One annoyance that I hit several times this trip was: Highway 182 was approaching and it announced to me, twice, to get on highway 180... Another time when the highways were merging, it failed to announce anything, nor did the map reflect the proper highway names, but instead, it just showed my red line going straight through, so I did that and it worked, but Google was announcing the proper names and lanes the whole time.
Lastly.... twice on my trip my NAV guidance volume went to zero in the middle of a route. (This I noticed when the car was brand new too though).
* I had Android Auto installed but it was all removed prior to my trip as it was too unreliable.

Last edited:
Mine does this too. I just took a vacation with the family and at times used Google Nav in addition. This is one of the coolest NAV units and one of the worst NAV units that I've owned...
The 3D topography is awesome and I love going through tunnels when it switches to "tunnel mode" (as my kids call it). It has nice lane guidance most of the time. BUT, it has me jumping all over the map, especially when there are off-ramps. It will almost always put me on the off-ramp, then recalculate route, then realize I am on the freeway, switch me back, and re-recalculate route back to the original. When in a dense city like Seattle I have actually missed exits due to its imprecision. I will take mine into the dealership too as I am not sure the version I am on at the moment...
One annoyance that I hit several times this trip was: Highway 182 was approaching and it announced to me, twice, to get on highway 180... Another time when the highways were merging, it failed to announce anything, nor did the map reflect the proper highway names, but instead, it just showed my red line going straight through, so I did that and it worked, but Google was announcing the proper names and lanes the whole time.
Lastly.... twice on my trip my NAV guidance volume went to zero in the middle of a route. (This I noticed when the car was brand new too though).
* I had Android Auto installed but it was all removed prior to my trip as it was too unreliable.

Mine many at times says Regional road though the display unit has the correct road name. But when ever i reaches an exit it always shows the correct lane to keep with good graphics and i appreciate that.
Between wont you void warranty when you install Andriod auto ? You can see your current version under the System app from the home screen.

Checking back. 3 weeks ago I thought I had it resolve after wiping out and reinstalling firmware update but it still act crazy after a few days... So that was 2nd attempt. Moving along 2 weeks ago we had a new antenna put in and thought that clear the issue but nope, as worst or probably worst. Finally we got down to replacing the CMU. Right off I knew it is probably it since it loads quicker, satellite locks into place and more satellite available then before. I'll give it few days and see if it goes off qtr mile or into a school or river.

To sum up, dealer first will check for firmware update and if no good then to antenna and then to CMU.

Hope it helps. Let me know!

Checking back. 3 weeks ago I thought I had it resolve after wiping out and reinstalling firmware update but it still act crazy after a few days... So that was 2nd attempt. Moving along 2 weeks ago we had a new antenna put in and thought that clear the issue but nope, as worst or probably worst. Finally we got down to replacing the CMU. Right off I knew it is probably it since it loads quicker, satellite locks into place and more satellite available then before. I'll give it few days and see if it goes off qtr mile or into a school or river.

To sum up, dealer first will check for firmware update and if no good then to antenna and then to CMU.

Hope it helps. Let me know!

Hello Thanks for the update. Looks like i tool will have to take the same root. Between whats CMU ?

Hello Thanks for the update. Looks like i tool will have to take the same root. Between whats CMU ?

Been a week, all good!

Quick check is when you open and view the available satellite, how many do you have available after few mins in red and also green (locked in). CMU is the Nav unit, pretty much the brain was changed out

Been a week, all good!

Quick check is when you open and view the available satellite, how many do you have available after few mins in red and also green (locked in). CMU is the Nav unit, pretty much the brain was changed out

Thanks for the note on Red/Green. Let me check that

I had the 760 update last week and today the NAV had me driving between streets again, and it still announces red light cameras on the freeway. Ill have to followup with dealership and ask about the CMU...

Back