2016 CX9 Owners Thread

MotorWeek's review.

Unlike most other videos, they professionally track test it which is interesting to see.

I read in the CX5 group that the sport mode is terrific when engaged , given CX9 has a similar engine ...is it same for CX9 or not much due to the increased size a weight? Current users or anyone test driven recently ...pls shed light on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read in the CX5 group that the sport mode is terrific when engaged , given CX9 has a similar engine ...is it same for CX9 or not much due to the increased size a weight? Current users or anyone test driven recently ...pls shed light on it

personally i hate the sport mode in CX-5 and in the CX-9....to me, it shifts gears too quickly.....also, kills fuel economy.

The Sport mode do 2 things:

- increase sensitivity in the gas pedal
- change the gear change ratio map

In the cx9 is "fun" to use it with manual mode but in real life I found is not useful at all if you don't use Premium gas because the new cx9 turbo have a power lost feeling at high rpms.

I my last long trip I don't found the Sport Mode useful at all, just a waste of gas. without sport mode, your transmission changes at lower rpm and the new cx9 have plenty of torque at low rpm (2000 - 4500).

Is good and better for Mazda 3 and cx5 because they need higher rpm in order to get the best torque

- increase sensitivity in the gas pedal
- change the gear change ratio map

In the cx9 is "fun" to use it with manual mode but in real life I found is not useful at all if you don't use Premium gas because the new cx9 turbo have a power lost feeling at high rpms.

I my last long trip I don't found the Sport Mode useful at all, just a waste of gas. without sport mode, your transmission changes at lower rpm and the new cx9 have plenty of torque at low rpm (2000 - 4500).

Is good and better for Mazda 3 and cx5 because they need higher rpm in order to get the best torque

Is turbo loss at higher rpm a big cause of concern? I mean how often one would need that ability and lack of it would mean what for long road trips ...also is it a good/bad thing on long run? Novice question it is ....

Is turbo loss at higher rpm a big cause of concern? I mean how often one would need that ability and lack of it would mean what for long road trips ...also is it a good/bad thing on long run? Novice question it is ....

Not a problem at all. I drive it trough highway at good speed with lot of power at 2000 - 3000 rpm. With the new engine when you press the gas pedal you feel more and more power and the gears goes up and up. With the old cx9 V6 if you press the pedal you get one or two down shifts instead in order to get more punch and acceleration.

I feel better the new cx9 on the highways compared with the old V6. I had the old V6 for 5 years since 2011 and made 37 long highway trips.

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

I tried Sports mode at first and unless you're on the highway and are going to be doing some crazy lane changing...I don't see the point of it. I never ever use it. Normal mode has plenty of power. Sports mode will just keep the RPM high.

if you don't use Premium gas because the new cx9 turbo have a power lost feeling at high rpms.

I always use Premium gas - Costco sells premium gas about 30 cents cheaper than on the regular pumps. I fill up my tank with regular gas.. the range is 306 miles. I put premium, the range goes up to 350 miles. So more power, more range, only 2-3 dollars difference.

I found on this on the Australian Mazda. The headlights behave differently than the American model.

WEtEcbo.gif

I personally prefer the ones in America. I don't like when the entire daylights just turn amber when you make a turn. The US version has a separate turning LED.

Another differnce I found was the turning signal we have here, it's used as a headlight over there:

O0YwUha.png

They also have the Adaptive Headlights, where it turns on/off different segments on the lamp depending on oncoming traffic (ALH vs HBC) ...even found out they have a pick up truck!

I always use Premium gas - Costco sells premium gas about 30 cents cheaper than on the regular pumps. I fill up my tank with regular gas.. the range is 306 miles. I put premium, the range goes up to 350 miles. So more power, more range, only 2-3 dollars difference.

nice point. I will try it and see if I see a difference in MPG

I found on this on the Australian Mazda. The headlights behave differently than the American model.

WEtEcbo.gif

I personally prefer the ones in America. I don't like when the entire daylights just turn amber when you make a turn. The US version has a separate turning LED.

Another differnce I found was the turning signal we have here, it's used as a headlight over there:

O0YwUha.png

They also have the Adaptive Headlights, where it turns on/off different segments on the lamp depending on oncoming traffic (ALH vs HBC) ...even found out they have a pick up truck!
ALH(Adaptive LED Headlights)is a much more sophisticated adaptive LED headlight system which unfortunately is still waiting for the approval by the US DOT / NHTSA. I'd compare ALH feature to our AFS and HBC, but much more advanced and effective without any mechanical moving parts!

As for front turn signals, only the ones, GT and Signature, with AFS use LEDs. Otherwise the traditional incandescent bulbs are used! The rear turn signals are still all incandescent bulbs, go figure! (uhm)

As for front turn signals, only the ones, GT and Signature, with AFS use LEDs. Otherwise the traditional incandescent bulbs are used! The rear turn signals are still all incandescent bulbs, go figure! (uhm)

I'm happy I already changed the regular bulbs in the rear turn signals for high quality leds. Look nice!

I'm happy I already changed the regular bulbs in the rear turn signals for high quality leds. Look nice!
By replacing the rear turn signals to LEDs, do you encounter hyper-flashing issue without load resistors?

By replacing the rear turn signals to LEDs, do you encounter hyper-flashing issue without load resistors?

With the amber led installed, of course you get Hyperflash, but is easily corrected with the resistors.

Some videos I uploaded:

Video01: Hiperflash when the Resistor is not installed:

Video02: Led installed in the left turn signal. Right is the original bulb. See the difference:

Video03: Finished work

There is a full Thread regarding Led upgrades for the new Cx9 here

Last edited:

I'm confused...from all the brochures I've read, all models have LED headlights and turning signals (at least in the US?) - Is that not the case?

I'm confused...from all the brochures I've read, all models have LED headlights and turning signals (at least in the US?) - Is that not the case?
Check the bulb specs in your owner's manual on page 9-7 and 9-8, and you'll see front turn signals use "WY21W (7443NA)" incandescent bulb for non-AFS CX-9's. In fact, "7443NA" is a dual-filament bulb which means the information is wrong in the owner's manual! It should be "7440NA" single-filament "nature-amber" bulb!

Back