2016 CX9 Owners Thread

You may want to be aware of the CX-9's AC performance. One reviewer commented that it was weak and had a hard time cooling down the CX-9. Since it's really warm this weekend, you might want to take the CX-9 for a spin again and observe the AC. That is, if you have time.

I saw the review where they mentioned that. The day i test drove the vehicle (Thursday) there was a high temp of 86 and we drove it about 5pm so i suspect still in the 80s, and i didn't notice any issues with it being too warm in the vehicle. I would suspect if it was a big issue, you'd hear a lot more complaints.. I will certainly pass along my thoughts once i take delivery of the vehicle.

Thanks for your insight.

I agree with your assessment of the Pilot. It seemed strange that Honda chooses to make BSM available on the Elite trim only. In fact, Honda does this with the Acura MDX as well. You'd have to get at least the Technology trim to get the full suite of safety features. In my opinion, BSM should be part of the Honda Sensing and AcuraWatch, since it's a safety feature not a standalone feature.

You may want to be aware of the CX-9's AC performance. One reviewer commented that it was weak and had a hard time cooling down the CX-9. Since it's really warm this weekend, you might want to take the CX-9 for a spin again and observe the AC. That is, if you have time.

I noticed that on my test drive too. After about a 20 minute test drive, I felt it was rather warm inside with the temp set at 60 and the a/c blowing. I thought it was strange.

Thanks for the feedback, Aviboy97. I guess anyone planning to test drive the CX-9 in the near future should pay close attention to the AC performance since this affects all vehicle occupants, not just the driver. It'd be best to test when it's really warm. Our window tinted 2010 CX-9 cools down in a matter of minutes. Of course, the window tint helps out a lot but I imagine that a non-tinted CX-9 should not deviate too far.

nice review mthouser, the pilot and the cx9 are also my choices.

however i am a family of 5. 3 being young kids. so amenities and space is more important to me than driving dynamics.

i did decide to hold off until the 2017 pilot to see if they do any small fixes and upgrades. maybe improve the 9 speed shifting as there have been some complaints about the surging. but there has been an update already. also to see if they will include apple car play and android auto because honda officially said NO for that on any updates for 2016. as for the BSM, yes i did see it was only available in the elite, BUT the touring has that blind spot camera doesnt it? when you turn on your signal it activates the built in camera on the side mirror? also im hoping they add a physical rotary knob as i know how annoying touch for volume control is. volume control should never be touch, just takes too long and never precise. and yes HD RADIO should be standard by now....... just like remote start *cough MAZDA*

if honda doesnt address any of that, which we should know soon as the 2017 should be announced later this year. i will still consider the cx9. it does look very nice and more sleek and an eye catcher compared to the utilitarian look of the pilot (though i dont find anything wrong with that--i actually like the bulky look of it) just hoping mazda confirms a software update to add android auto for the current year model.. that should help me ease my acceptance of it. i dont care much for the seat adjustments so thats not a big deal to me. i care more about remote start and android auto/apple car play.

im also hoping there will be some aftermarket support for the cx9 turbo motor to try and squeeze more power to it. maybe a tune/flash to bring up that HP.

This car reminds me of the Michelin man ... too much fat on a small frame :D

9acdb142a1f3f13dccc6df5e2899ad85.jpg

nice review mthouser, the pilot and the cx9 are also my choices.

however i am a family of 5. 3 being young kids. so amenities and space is more important to me than driving dynamics.

It was a tough choice for me as well. Have you driven them both? To me the pilot drives kind of like a mini van. It has a more floaty feel. Not bad just different. It does have the cameras but I was thinking more when you are driving at highway speeds and you are passing. It's nice to get that audible alert letting you know someone is there in your blind spot.

With a family of 5, I think I you would be fine with the cx9, but if I were a family of >6, it's hard not to go to a minivan or pilot or Acadia.

Here's one thing I would mention: as far as deals, Honda was a little stingy with their deal. They typically don't give out huge discounts. It seemed I would have to haggle more, plus they gave me less on my trade. Overall it ended up out the door slightly higher than the cx9 when I think the msrp for the touring is 2k less compared to the signature

It was a tough choice for me as well. Have you driven them both? To me the pilot drives kind of like a mini van. It has a more floaty feel. Not bad just different. It does have the cameras but I was thinking more when you are driving at highway speeds and you are passing. It's nice to get that audible alert letting you know someone is there in your blind spot.

With a family of 5, I think I you would be fine with the cx9, but if I were a family of >6, it's hard not to go to a minivan or pilot or Acadia.

Here's one thing I would mention: as far as deals, Honda was a little stingy with their deal. They typically don't give out huge discounts. It seemed I would have to haggle more, plus they gave me less on my trade. Overall it ended up out the door slightly higher than the cx9 when I think the msrp for the touring is 2k less compared to the signature

I agree. For a family of 6+, CX9 is out of the list.... the Pilot have more room. But for a family of 4/5, the CX9 have no rival in design and driving/performance:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

47 post in a CX-9 owners thread and noone has posted pictures of their OWN CX-9...

How about those seats(lol2)

All jokes aside, would love to see some personal pictures besides dealerships, and professional Mazda Photos

New to this forum, though active on several others.

After deciding that I wanted/needed more space, I also drove both the Honda Pilot and the new CX-9 within an hour of each other.

Though I preferred the Honda's space utilization and camera system, the CX-9s space more than meets my needs.
Additionally, driving dynamics (which DO matter to me), and availability of such things as LED headlights and radar cruise control at the Grand Touring level made the choice easier.
Only the "Elite" version of the Honda comes with something other than halogen headlights ... which also includes a rear seat entertainment system and all-wheel drive which I don't need in my location.

The GT version of the CX-9 can be had with front-drive while including adaptive LED headlights, a nice heads-up display, radar cruise control and a bunch of safety nannies.

All of the above had a huge effect on my decision; but price sealed the deal.

One of the local Honda dealers wanted $990 OVER the Monroney sticker price on an Elite unit (which he'd have to trade with another dealer for) and offered a low-end value for my pristine trade.
They wouldn't budge on the price.

I've done business with my local Mazda dealer for years.
Not only did they price the Grand Touring FWD CX-9 slightly above invoice (a vehicle that stickers for about $5k less than the Elite Honda), they gave me top value for my trade.
I don't care how a deal structures the money ... my bottom line is the amount of the check that I have to write in the end.
The Honda would have cost me over $8k more when all was said and done. Even going with a Mazda Signature Edition (which matches the AWD of the Honda), the Pilot would have been $5k more.

I gave up rosewood trim, fancier leather, a few extra led lights and the the unneeded and unwanted AWD and STILL got a vehicle that is fun to drive and more than meets my needs.

I currently have fewer than 300 miles on the vehicle, but have already tinted the windows and installed a Blackvue dashcam system.
I'm comfortable and happy with my choice.

Last edited:
New to this forum, though active on several others.

After deciding that I wanted/needed more space, I also drove both the Honda Pilot and the new CX-9 within an hour of each other.

Though I preferred the Honda's space utilization and camera system, the CX-9s space more than meets my needs.
Additionally, driving dynamics (which DO matter to me), and availability of such things as Xenon headlights and radar cruise control at the Grand Touring level made the choice easier.
Only the "Elite" version of the Honda comes with something other than halogen headlights ... which also includes a rear seat entertainment system and all-wheel drive which I don't need in my location.

The GT version of the CX-9 can be had with front-drive while including adaptive Xenon headlights, a nice heads-up display, radar cruise control and a bunch of safety nannies.

All of the above had a huge effect on my decision; but price sealed the deal.

One of the local Honda dealers wanted $990 OVER the Monroney sticker price on an Elite unit (which he'd have to trade with another dealer for) and offered a low-end value for my pristine trade.
They wouldn't budge on the price.

I've done business with my local Mazda dealer for years.
Not only did they price the Grand Touring FWD CX-9 slightly above invoice (a vehicle that stickers for about $5k less than the Elite Honda), they gave me top value for my trade.
I don't care how a deal structures the money ... my bottom line is the mount of the check that I have to write in the end.
The Honda would have cost me over $8k more when all was said and done. Even going with a Mazda Signature Edition (which matches the AWD of the Honda), the Pilot would have been $5k more.

I gave up rosewood trim, fancier leather, a few extra led lights and the the unneeded and unwanted AWD and STILL got a vehicle that is fun to drive and more than meets my needs.

I currently have fewer than 300 miles on the vehicle, but have already tinted the windows and installed a Blackvue dashcam system.
I'm comfortable and happy with my choice.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase. I spend months reviewing all 4 (Pathfinder, Pilot, Highlander and cx9). I'm just waiting my new GT AWD this week and I'm very excited to get is ASAP!. I agree with you 100%: the price difference between Pilot and CX9 is noticeable, so this put an stamp on my decision. I'm very happy with my purchase. I had a cx9 2011 so I know the different feel between the old v6 and the new Turbo. One of my complains with the old one was the incredible fuel consumption, very bad!!!. So I'm happy to have new Skyactiv technology with Dynamic Turbo. The best of both worlds: power + fuel economy

47 post in a CX-9 owners thread and noone has posted pictures of their OWN CX-9...

All jokes aside, would love to see some personal pictures besides dealerships, and professional Mazda Photos

I don't have mine yet... just few days and I will be glad to upload some photos... I will have GT AWD with some Signature features

The GT version of the CX-9 can be had with front-drive while including adaptive Xenon headlights
Your CX-9 GT has LED headlights with auto leveling and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). Actually even CX-9 Sport and Touring have LED headlights with auto leveling. Xenon HID headlights are the thing of past.

Your CX-9 GT has LED headlights with auto leveling and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). Actually even CX-9 Sport and Touring have LED headlights with auto leveling. Xenon HID headlights are the thing of past.

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew that the headlights are auto leveling and have AFS, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the Touring and Sport have LEDs while the GT and Signature reverted to the older xenon technology like that in a previous 2011 CX-9 GT (which I traded because of abysmal fuel economy).

After rechecking specs in the owner's manual (RTM) and the printed brochure, I'm relieved to know that LEDs are being used.
I've grown to really like the LED headlights in my '16 MX-5 GT and experience with several other xenon-equipped cars leads me to believe that LEDs will be more reliable.

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew that the headlights are auto leveling and have AFS, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the Touring and Sport have LEDs while the GT and Signature reverted to the older xenon technology like that in a previous 2011 CX-9 GT (which I traded because of abysmal fuel economy).

After rechecking specs in the owner's manual (RTM) and the printed brochure, I'm relieved to know that LEDs are being used.
I've grown to really like the LED headlights in my '16 MX-5 GT and experience with several other xenon-equipped cars leads me to believe that LEDs will be more reliable.

Having a Ford Edge with xenon, I can definitively say LEDs are far superior.

How about a few quickie cell phone pics on delivery day; before window tinting and adding the Blackvue front and rear dashcam system?

27477084520_fe1c05ed99_b.jpg

27721425136_2471f4ed7c_b.jpg

27143530704_ccd3f00687_b.jpg

27143530374_3a1fc67821_b.jpg

27143531184_dd3483ecb9_b.jpg

Thanks.

White Signature was available at my dealership this weekend.
Looks identical except for the different interior details and lit grille area.

I'm not usually a big fan of white, but the color just "works" for me on former CX-5s and the new CX-9. (yes)

Xenon bulb is slow to glow and the lifespan is not that great. Once it fails, it's expensive to replace. On the other hand, LED is supposed to last a lot longer with instant brightness. But once it fails, the whole headlight assembly needs to be replaced which would cost thousands!

Back