2016 CX9 Owners Thread

I have the BOSE sound system but the audio it's inferior in quality compared with my old CX9 where I had Infinity speakers. I will check if I can change the speakers in the doors for something with more quality.

Current audio power, bass, distortion levels and channel separation are more than OK, but I miss my super bright high freqs.

Really? Mazda went to great lengths to put the best in class sound system in. It's getting great reviews by journalists who drive everything.

Really? Mazda went to great lengths to put the best in class sound system in. It's getting great reviews by journalists who drive everything.

The audio is superb for a factory setup, but I miss some freqs in the 14k+ audio spectrum. I'm audio engineer and audio enthusiast. I have a high end audio at home and had Superb audio in previous vehicles. My old Volvo S40 T5 Turbo had fiber connections, dual EQ and even Dolby Sourround from the factory.

My old CX9 Sport have regular factory audio (No Bose). I replace the door speakers and the difference was like night and day. (I added a BOSS amplifier and Pioneer Subwoofer later) for an incredible sound.

Comparing from my custom setup in cx9 2011 and the new GT, I have the same power and bass now, but I had better treble (by a lot).

I've had a Grand Touring for about a month now. I live in the dessert where 120F is not unusual thing. As with any car, it takes a while to start blowing cold air, but once it's cold is ok. What I did notice is that the sound of air blowing is very high, as if the ac was blowing tons of air, when the air quantity felt normal. The issue might be little air outlets/ducts, which create lots of noise. That would either: 1-Give the perception that the ac is having issues cooling the cabin as it would sound as Full blast, 2- the ducts/outlets are way small, which don't help to put out the amount of air needed to cool a big cabin.

I've had a Grand Touring for about a month now. I live in the dessert where 120F is not unusual thing. As with any car, it takes a while to start blowing cold air, but once it's cold is ok. What I did notice is that the sound of air blowing is very high, as if the ac was blowing tons of air, when the air quantity felt normal. The issue might be little air outlets/ducts, which create lots of noise. That would either: 1-Give the perception that the ac is having issues cooling the cabin as it would sound as Full blast, 2- the ducts/outlets are way small, which don't help to put out the amount of air needed to cool a big cabin.

i noticed the same thing at first then i realized that the cabin is so much quieter than most Mazdas that i think the vent fan noise is perceived to be louder because there is less ambient noise to drown it out - so could, at least partially, be a perception issue.

wife and I just traded in our 09, CX-9 GT AWD last Thursday for a 2016 CX-9 Touring. PROs are exterior styling, interior upgrades, smooth ride, quite, over 300lb of torque is there right from the beginning. CONs are AC is a joke. It has been avg. 100+ degree here in Atlanta and the AC just never seems make it cool enough. Also, does anyone noticed that the strut for the trunk makes a loud noise when open and close?

I have the BOSE sound system but the audio it's inferior in quality compared with my old CX9 where I had Infinity speakers. I will check if I can change the speakers in the doors for something with more quality.

Current audio power, bass, distortion levels and channel separation are more than OK, but I miss my super bright high freqs.

I can totally attest to that. Infinity in my Sorento sounds better than the Bose in my Mazda6. But the Bose is pretty damn good too.

wife and I just traded in our 09, CX-9 GT AWD last Thursday for a 2016 CX-9 Touring. PROs are exterior styling, interior upgrades, smooth ride, quite, over 300lb of torque is there right from the beginning. CONs are AC is a joke. It has been avg. 100+ degree here in Atlanta and the AC just never seems make it cool enough. Also, does anyone noticed that the strut for the trunk makes a loud noise when open and close?

I see you had the GT and now have the Touring. What you miss? Do you have BOSE audio and HUD in the Touring? What's the difference between the Touring and GT?

The AC is a joke, this is the best way to say it! agree! I always put the aire in AUTO and put the temp control to the coolest setting.

What is the strut? Sorry my english.

I can totally attest to that. Infinity in my Sorento sounds better than the Bose in my Mazda6. But the Bose is pretty damn good too.

I agree. I had better sound quality in my old CX9 with my infiniti speakers. The factory audio anyway is just amazing, lot of power, bass and clarity. I would like to see the speakers at the doors. I suspect I can just change this speakers and the audio will improve by a lot! With my old audio setup I adjusted the treble at 60%. Here in the new cx9 I need to use it at max.

Hey Guys,

Happy to join the forum with my new CX-9 Machine Grey Signature! Just got back from an overseas deployment and had a great dealer in Marietta, Ga. hold the exact one I wanted for 2 weeks, while the military moved me back stateside. The other local dealerships were spamming my inbox with robot emails day after day, while none of them would provide me with an out the door price, let alone tell me if what i wanted was even going to be instock. If you ever want to hate a dealership...give them your email address! (boom02)
It was great to walk into my 1st new car buying experience with the price I wanted and a loan I was comfortable with (from my bank)...only to then have them beat it by a nice margin. Pretty surprised at the lack of hassle.

...not trying to sound like a commercial, so yeah....

Really loving all the features, but it's gonna take some time to learn it all and get really comfy with the size of the vehicle.

As for me:

No Family. This is for hauling my double bass and bass guitars/amps around in a climate controlled environment.
I don't tow anything.
I live in a city, so a turbo 4 is enough.
I'm no gear head.
I like the styling, alot. ...except, all year, I thought those alloy wheels looked like sh!t. In person, I actually like them.
I find those choice "luxury" features many users expect are simply superfluous when people are comparing this to something in another class.
I was really pissed off to pay GA taxes, but now i find that GA is a state that doesn't require a front plate, so no matter where the military sends me, I don't have to ruin the look by adding a front plate. Granted, it's not worth the price of admission, but <sigh> i guess it's something. ...You'll have to forgive me, I'm a Texas resident.

Now the true 1st world nitpicking:
Audio System: Sounds good for a car. I'm only a professional musician, so what do I know. Mix and match all you want to achieve you desired level of mobile audiophile snobbery.
Seats: My ass size is pretty normal. I'm impress the japs. can even understand the comfort levels my American ass and back require for 30 minutes to 1 hour a day.
Air Con: I bought the car and drove it home during a 103 heat index. The damn auto setting was loud as hell and would not shut off, but guess what, I had to manually turn it down because it was too much for me. If you need a computer to tell you that your body is at a certain temperature, then this may not be the car for you. If you require a sensor to let you know you are comfortable, then you are going to have this AC blast you hard.

I totally respect you dudes who refuse to compromise on matters such as this.
Also, I understand that my opinion is not as informed as others.

But, if I needed to check all those other boxes, I would have looked elsewhere. But, luckily for me...rolling around in this does me just fine.

Great to be here! In two days, I will load her up for a trip across the country. I will take some pics of the cargo capacity with my weird assortment of bass clef instruments, since it's an issue for some.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Happy to join the forum with my new CX-9 Machine Grey Signature! Just got back from an overseas deployment and had a great dealer here in Atlanta hold the exact one I wanted for 2 weeks, while the military moved me back stateside.
Really loving all the features, but it's gonna take some time to learn it all and get really comfy with the size of the vehicle.

As for me:

No Family. This is for hauling my double bass and bass guitars/amps around in a climate controlled environment.
I don't tow anything.
I'm no gear head.
I like the styling, alot.

If I needed to check the other boxes, I might have looked elsewhere. But, luckily for me...rolling around in this works out great.

Great to be here!

Congrats and welcome to the forum. What a machine!

This 4 cyl turbo have the same lb-ft torque like some V8's so you will have love of power! I use it in the weekends for the entire family but I use it every day for daily work driving... it's like a car for me...

Hey Guys,

Happy to join the forum with my new CX-9 Machine Grey Signature! Just got back from an overseas deployment and had a great dealer in Marietta, Ga. hold the exact one I wanted for 2 weeks, while the military moved me back stateside. The other local dealerships were spamming my inbox with robot emails day after day, while none of them would provide me with an out the door price, let alone tell me if what i wanted was even going to be instock. If you ever want to hate a dealership...give them your email address! (boom02)
It was great to walk into my 1st new car buying experience with the price I wanted and a loan I was comfortable with (from my bank)...only to then have them beat it by a nice margin. Pretty surprised at the lack of hassle.

...not trying to sound like a commercial, so yeah....

As for me:

I don't tow anything.
I'm no gear head.
I like the styling, alot. ...except, all year, I thought those alloy wheels looked like sh!t. In person, I actually like them.
I find those choice "luxury" features many users expect are simply superfluous when people are comparing this to something in another class.
I was really pissed off to pay GA taxes, but now i find that GA is a state that doesn't require a front plate, so no matter where the military sends me, I don't have to ruin the look by adding a front plate. Granted, it's not worth the price of admission, but <sigh> i guess it's something. ...You'll have to forgive me, I'm a Texas resident.

Now the true 1st world nitpicking:
Audio System: Sounds good for a car. I'm only a professional musician, so what do I know. Mix and match all you want to achieve you desired level of mobile audiophile snobbery.
Seats: My ass size is pretty normal. I'm impress the japs. can even understand the comfort levels my American ass and back require for 30 minutes to 1 hour a day.
Air Con: I bought the car and drove it home during a 103 heat index. The damn auto setting was loud as hell and would not shut off, but guess what, I had to manually turn it down because it was too much for me. If you need a computer to tell you that your body is at a certain temperature, then this may not be the car for you. If you require a sensor to let you know you are comfortable, then you are going to have this AC blast you hard.

I totally respect you dudes who refuse to compromise on matters such as this.
Also, I understand that my opinion is not as informed as others.

But, if I needed to check all those other boxes, I would have looked elsewhere. But, luckily for me...rolling around in this does me just fine.

Great to be here! In two days, I will load her up for a trip across the country. I will take some pics of the cargo capacity with my weird assortment of bass clef instruments, since it's an issue for some.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum and ranks of Mazda enthusiasts.
Your observations to date are spot-on with my experience.

Enjoy the cross-country drive ... where's your next duty station? .(band)

</sigh>

Anyone having issues with the blind spot monitoring system? I have noticed cars in my blind spot, pulling up the side of my car and the blind spot never goes off. I drove down the highway and passed several cars, and had some pass me, and the system never went off. I did check to see if the "off" switch was not engaged.

I brought it to the dealer (they have been great), they did a bunch of diagnostic tests and called Mazda, and said it's operating within spec. Coming from a CX-5 where the BSM worked flawlessly, I find this system to be unacceptable.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Anyone having issues with the blind spot monitoring system? I have noticed cars in my blind spot, pulling up the side of my car and the blind spot never goes off. I drove down the highway and passed several cars, and had some pass me, and the system never went off. I did check to see if the "off" switch was not engaged.

I brought it to the dealer (they have been great), they did a bunch of diagnostic tests and called Mazda, and said it's operating within spec. Coming from a CX-5 where the BSM worked flawlessly, I find this system to be unacceptable.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Blind monitoring working great here in a GT AWD.

Alerts in the HUD, Mirror, Display and Sound System properly.

Blind monitoring working great here in a GT AWD.

Alerts in the HUD, Mirror, Display and Sound System properly.

Mine does it sporadically. There will be cars to the side and rear of each quarter panel, and the system does nothing.

The 20" tires also shake like crazy at highway speeds. A tire balance did nothing to help. I'm getting irritated.

Mine does it sporadically. There will be cars to the side and rear of each quarter panel, and the system does nothing.

The 20" tires also shake like crazy at highway speeds. A tire balance did nothing to help. I'm getting irritated.

I believe the BSDM only alerts you if you are at more than X speed.

I already test it in highway and had amazing stability. You maybe need to return to your dealer to check your tires!

Alignment, maybe?

I also had the 20" tires on my 2010 CX-9 shake like crazy at highway speeds and thought it was the transmission. I did an alignment and transmission flush, as it was due for those services anyway. It still shook like crazy. Finally, I had a screw in one of the tires that constantly set off the TPMS on the dashboard. I had to bring it to Discount Tire to get it looked at. They fixed the puncture and rotated and balanced the tires. After that, no more shaking. 6-year old CX-9 drives like it always did, again.

Alignment, maybe?

I also had the 20" tires on my 2010 CX-9 shake like crazy at highway speeds and thought it was the transmission. I did an alignment and transmission flush, as it was due for those services anyway. It still shook like crazy. Finally, I had a screw in one of the tires that constantly set off the TPMS on the dashboard. I had to bring it to Discount Tire to get it looked at. They fixed the puncture and rotated and balanced the tires. After that, no more shaking. 6-year old CX-9 drives like it always did, again.

Mine shakes like crazy from day 1 and I have over 1,000 miles on it now. I gave it time because I thought it could have been a flat spot on the tires. The dealer did a wheel balance and I think it got worse. I figured they would look at the tires while balancing them to see if there was something stuck in them.

Mine shakes like crazy from day 1 and I have over 1,000 miles on it now. I gave it time because I thought it could have been a flat spot on the tires. The dealer did a wheel balance and I think it got worse. I figured they would look at the tires while balancing them to see if there was something stuck in them.

I would keep bugging the dealer (provided you have the time to do so) until they get it fixed. A brand-new car should not be shaking at highway speeds.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum and ranks of Mazda enthusiasts.
Your observations to date are spot-on with my experience.

Enjoy the cross-country drive ... where's your next duty station? .(band)

</sigh>

Just left sunny Naples, Italy and now headed to the frozen shores of Lake Michigan: Great Lakes, IL! (shocked)(shocked)(shocked)
I really think the AWD, traction control, and heated seats/mirrors are gonna come in handy up there. Chicago will be great, but I def. need some covered parking! No street parking for my baby.

I have not had a single issue with BSM so far. What I did learn right away is that it does not alert you if you are passing cars, it only alerts you when they approach you

Back