2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Anyone experiencing Bluetooth)reboot issues with the infotainment system... What phone are you using? I have a Nexus 6P, I think I narrowed down my issue. When you first turn in the car, if I use the phone, to make a call or okay music, before it has a chance to connect the Bluetoothto the infotainment system, the infotainment system hangs, screens good blank and I have to turn off the car. Not until I see the Bluetooth symbol show up on the infotainment system i can touch I phone.
Also having issues hanging up calls, it doesn't respond, I have to press the music button to exit the screen. Contact synch stops midway and never finishes.
Anyone experience anything similar?

CX9 seems like great vehicle , but issues/options bellow would be a welcomed addition by Mazda in 2016.5 year :
-AC improved with better/stronger cooling performance
-Reprogrammed Audio/Entertainment system for smoother operation + real/usable life traffic updates , also Android auto added
-built in CD player added as accessory for 200usd
-perforated leatherette seat + 20" wheels as 900usd option on Sport trim
-20" wheels as option for Touring pack for 500usd

CX9 seems like great vehicle , but issues/options bellow would be a welcomed addition by Mazda in 2016.5 year :
-AC improved with better/stronger cooling performance
-Reprogrammed Audio/Entertainment system for smoother operation + real/usable life traffic updates , also Android auto added
-built in CD player added as accessory for 200usd
-perforated leatherette seat + 20" wheels as 900usd option on Sport trim
-20" wheels as option for Touring pack for 500usd

Like I mentioned earlier, there is no possibility of "2016.5" updates. This model was so late that it essentially already is a 2016.5 at launch. There's already many 2017's out and even if Mazda is later than average releasing the 2017 model year, that's just a few months away. From your wish list, the only possible one that will come true for 2017 is a boosted AC system.

Mazda won't option 20's on the bottom trims because those are major selling points in buying the top 2 trims and is the main distinction on the exterior. If you want 20's but want a bottom trim, you'll have to go aftermarket or just pay full dealer retail for the 20's which would probably be around $3,000. Aftermarkets would be way way cheaper.

So like an idiot I managed to lock myself out of my vehicle yesterday. I say idiot because I forgot the fob had a key until my wife reminded me after a few minutes of panicking.

I went to start my car to get the AC going for the kids. I close my door and open the rear door and it's locked... I also was unable to unlock the car being outside, with the fob. The remote would not unlock the car, nor the door handle button. The display inside said no key detected.

My car is not set to lock during ignition. It does have auto lock however.

Seems like bad coding in my opinion. I can't see a safety reason for ignoring the keyfob lock/unlock buttons while the car is running... Especially if no key is detected in the vehicle.

Oh well good thing my wife is smart.

ok so 2017 than ... 18" are looking unproportionally small in huge wheel arches and wide black plastic trim underlines it even more .... specially of lighter colors
But most importantly no one will spend 8K usd more on GT trim just to get bigger wheels .... Mazda should make it available on lower trims , it is 2016 not 2005 when 20's were special. But using is as a lure to make people spend 8k more for many other features that they do not really need is just bad choice. Well than offer it as factory special order option , make folks wait 2-3 months ... My dealer just told me that lot of people complained about lack of CD player... it is premium vehicle and it should still be an option... while Acura offers DVD Audio and CD players in its premium trim while Mazda does not offer either - and it is MAZDA who is trying to be premium. Yes I do not want to burn my 1200 CDs on sticks as it is a pain in the butt.

ok so 2017 than ... 18" are looking unproportionally small in huge wheel arches and wide black plastic trim underlines it even more .... specially of lighter colors
But most importantly no one will spend 8K usd more on GT trim just to get bigger wheels .... Mazda should make it available on lower trims , it is 2016 not 2005 when 20's were special. But using is as a lure to make people spend 8k more for many other features that they do not really need is just bad choice. Well than offer it as factory special order option , make folks wait 2-3 months ... My dealer just told me that lot of people complained about lack of CD player... it is premium vehicle and it should still be an option... while Acura offers DVD Audio and CD players in its premium trim while Mazda does not offer either - and it is MAZDA who is trying to be premium. Yes I do not want to burn my 1200 CDs on sticks as it is a pain in the butt.

Most car companies starts with the standard 18s I believe. Even Acura and Infiniti does. Did the shopping myself before I ended up with my CX9 Signature. It's your choice to upgrade to 20s and of course, it comes with a price. As for the entertainment system with the overhead widescreen DVD VGA screen for the Acura, that too is an upgrade which cost around 2k. You got to consider that with the Signature model is around 45k and the Acura MDX with these packages run around 56k. That's a huge price difference. I can get a pair of headrest player for around 1.4-1.6k that is already factory matched.

Now with the CD player, I guess Mazda decided to ditch it out since it's not a necessity nowadays for some people. Even myself didn't get to use my CD player in my 2013 CX9 since I bought it 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I rarely drive at night. The other day I had my wife with me in the car and she said the map light bothered her and how there wasn't a way to turn it off. I told her that we could from the infotainment system, but that feature is disabled while the car is moving. It would've been great if they had used that empty button as an on/off switch for the ambient lighting :/

http://imgur.com/ThAnbMs

I rarely drive at night. The other day I had my wife with me in the car and she said the map light bothered her and how there wasn't a way to turn it off. I told her that we could from the infotainment system, but that feature is disabled while the car is moving. It would've been great if they had used that empty button as an on/off switch for the ambient lighting :/

http://imgur.com/ThAnbMs

Do you mean the rectangular white led on top?

I'm beyond frustrated with the infotainment system screen going dark and unable to do anything, not even hard reboots work. I have to turn the car off and on again. Had I known this I would not have purchased this car. It is very very annoying.

I'm beyond frustrated with the infotainment system screen going dark and unable to do anything, not even hard reboots work. I have to turn the car off and on again. Had I known this I would not have purchased this car. It is very very annoying.

I have the reboot issue, but from time to time. very annoying. But your problem is worst. Go to the dealer for a check. If they don't solve the issue, I'm pretty sure they will just request and swap your infotainment system by a new one.

Electronic fails, happens all the time. I even see how high end expensive servers fails after a week.

I have it in the Nissan Rogue as well. ON by default, you cannot disable it, or adjust intensity. It's a current standard apparently.
In the CX9 you can adjust and disable it, just wished they would've used the extra empty buttons to add this control.

I have the reboot issue, but from time to time. very annoying. But your problem is worst. Go to the dealer for a check. If they don't solve the issue, I'm pretty sure they will just request and swap your infotainment system by a new one.

Electronic fails, happens all the time. I even see how high end expensive servers fails after a week.
I honestly don't think it's an electronics problem. It's their software. I already disabled contact downloading since that seems to take forever and I thought it was causing the hang up, but nope. The dealer wants the car for a whole day, which is hard when you need the car to go to work!
My frustration is with Mazda not taking this issue seriously. California has a lemon law, not sure of this would qualify for it, but I'm willing to shove this car back in their throat due to this issue and go buy something else.

I honestly don't think it's an electronics problem. It's their software. I already disabled contact downloading since that seems to take forever and I thought it was causing the hang up, but nope. The dealer wants the car for a whole day, which is hard when you need the car to go to work!
My frustration is with Mazda not taking this issue seriously. California has a lemon law, not sure of this would qualify for it, but I'm willing to shove this car back in their throat due to this issue and go buy something else.

They won't offer you a loaner?

What version of firmware is your system running? I'm on v58. but I've heard some are on v56 and that the new Mazda 3 and 6 are being shipped from Japan with v59.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDL

I have the same problems but I have noticed the system seems to be more stable (less crashes) if I don't plug anything in the USB port. I had an iPod plugged in and noticed the system crashed more often. Just using bluetooth connected iPhone for telephone and music streaming right now. Do you use the USB for anything in your car?

What version of firmware is your system running? I'm on v58. but I've heard some are on v56 and that the new Mazda 3 and 6 are being shipped from Japan with v59.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the latest. V58. I just got off the phone with Mazda customer rep and told them about this problem and how it's been around for a couple years...they pretty much told me I still have to go to the dealership to have it troubleshot.

Back