LED Gauge Cluster Light Evenly?

theboy419

Long term Mazda owner, new Protege5 I'm dealing with. I just got an '02 with nearly 200k miles on it (engine was swapped about a year ago with 50k miles on it, valve stem seals seem to be shot, yay) that is overall in great shape (no rust, no accidents, immaculate records, etc) but showing signs of 200k miles with the dashboard gauge lights starting to go. I know these cars tend to be dim, but this is barely even readable at night, so I figure if I'm going to dive in and replace the lights I may as well do it with my own theme. I was hoping to put some blue LEDs in, but I'm aware that LEDs tend to cause uneven light, brighter around the LED itself, which looks a bit odd. I happened to see this post which sounds straight-forward, but there aren't any pics to compare against. I was curious if anyone else has done this and has any tips, pics or even suggestions on specific LEDs (the link in that thread brings up a list of quite a few options). I'm sure I can just wing it, but would rather do it right if there's already a known working way. Thanks!

Back