2016 Mazda CX-9 ENGINEERING REVIEW w/ Mazda Engineer Dave Coleman

Thanks for the video. I like Mazda puts some new innovations on SkyActiv turbo, not just follows suit with traditional turbo technology. I also like the idea of not trying to impress car buyers on specs with high horsepower with turbo but concentrate on real-world performance with big low-end torque. With some good engineering and improvement on other areas, which make this new CX-9 very interesting! The only thing left for me is the longevity of this new SkyActiv turbo system as I'm still not the fan of turbo engine due to reliability issues from what I've seen.

I think it uses a 4-3-1 header. A 320lb torque would be nice in a CX-5 let alone mazda3 hatchback.

Thanks for the video. I like Mazda puts some new innovations on SkyActiv turbo, not just follows suit with traditional turbo technology. I also like the idea of not trying to impress car buyers on specs with high horsepower with turbo but concentrate on real-world performance with big low-end torque. With some good engineering and improvement on other areas, which make this new CX-9 very interesting! The only thing left for me is the longevity of this new SkyActiv turbo system as I'm still not the fan of turbo engine due to reliability issues from what I've seen.
That is one thing that bothers me, too, about the idea of a long term daily with a turbo. And we won't know...until we know...is the lame part.

15 years, more than 100,000 miles on my 1995 Volvo turbo. 8 years, 75,000 mi on my 1988 Mazda turbo. No problems with either. I did however, consider the turbochargers to be consumable parts.

15 years, more than 100,000 miles on my 1995 Volvo turbo. 8 years, 75,000 mi on my 1988 Mazda turbo. No problems with either. I did however, consider the turbochargers to be consumable parts.

See, I don't consider a turbo consumable, from a financial standpoint. Also, 100k miles is nothing to me. I expect for a vehicle to last me 200 minimum, drivetrain wise. Except automatic transmissions. I expect them to die like a dog. I'm not okay with that, but I have yet to see one in my ownership fail to die like a dog. Manuals? Good to go for the life of the car in my experience.

I believe your 1995 Volvo 850 has a 2.5L I5 turbo. Back to that old days the salesmen from Volvo's had always warned us to keep the engine idling for a couple of minutes to cool down the turbo charger before we turn off the engine. That extra and inconvenient step alone made me stayed away from any turbo engines during the time.

Drove an Audi twin turbo for 13 years. No turbo problems at all.
The son of a friend bought a 2012 Audi A6 new with 2.0L TFSI I4 turbo engine. One cylinder lost compression at ~23,000 miles and the whole engine got replaced. To be fair, the dealer said the problem is not turbo related.

See, I don't consider a turbo consumable, from a financial standpoint. Also, 100k miles is nothing to me. I expect for a vehicle to last me 200 minimum, drivetrain wise. Except automatic transmissions. I expect them to die like a dog. I'm not okay with that, but I have yet to see one in my ownership fail to die like a dog. Manuals? Good to go for the life of the car in my experience.

Tbh a turboh isn't really expensive, and a rebuild kit can be had for as low as 30 depending on your turboh type. Turbos are really only expensive in the aftermarket high performance. I disassembled my new turbo to preoil and inspect it; pretty much everything in that pic - the blades and center housing are part of a $30 rebuild kit. You could get a new ko4 (mazdaspeed) turboh for as low as $250 (or less) of you need to replace or prefer to replace than rebuild/repair after after 80k or something. People easily spend $700+ on a good set of tires.

NNj2gAk.jpg

Tbh a turboh isn't really expensive, and a rebuild kit can be had for as low as 30 depending on your turboh type. Turbos are really only expensive in the aftermarket high performance. I disassembled my new turbo to preoil and inspect it; pretty much everything in that pic - the blades and center housing are part of a $30 rebuild kit. You could get a new ko4 (mazdaspeed) turboh for as low as $250 (or less) of you need to replace or prefer to replace than rebuild/repair after after 80k or something. People easily spend $700+ on a good set of tires.

NNj2gAk.jpg

What is the cost of dealer repair? I don't wrench on my own cars because I can make more money in the same amount of time and would actually go to work vs. cut my hands up on a vehicle that I derive very little passion from. If we were talking the turbo on an EVO X or something, sure! Let me get greasy. But we aren't. The other aspect is my perfectionist nature and the nature of boost leaks.

Change the oil often and never shut off the engine before idling a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Change the oil often and never shut off the engine before idling a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

My childhood friend now realtor friend had a 300zx twin turbo. It had a turbo timer and I was always freaked out when he would just lock the door and leave the car running. He had mild modifications done to it, it made it past 100,000 miles without too much trouble. He didn't want to push his luck and sold it before any problems started to pop up. Turbos have come a long way now and I am tempted to buy one.

Back