Bonded leather?

I believe, looking at mine, that only the seating trim is leather and the perforated seat is synthetic man-made material. It isn't a Lexus.

I believe, looking at mine, that only the seating trim is leather and the perforated seat is synthetic man-made material. It isn't a Lexus.

That's exact;y what I thought too, but Mazda says all parts that touch the body (so this includes the perforated pieces) are leather. I doesn't feel like leather to me.

Maybe "bonded" is the wrong term then to describe the seats, I guess one should say they are "coated" leather. The leather, what ever grade or quality it is, is coated with vinyl like top coat to add to durability for the seats. Un coated leather will wear fast, needs constant care, cleaning and conditioning and isn't something I want in my car.

Maybe "bonded" is the wrong term then to describe the seats, I guess one should say they are "coated" leather. The leather, what ever grade or quality it is, is coated with vinyl like top coat to add to durability for the seats. Un coated leather will wear fast, needs constant care, cleaning and conditioning and isn't something I want in my car.

Virtually all leather in cars is coated. Even the multi-thousand dollar semi-aniline options you can get from the lux makers. Uncoated is aniline leather and pretty rare because its very delicate and would quickly wear if actually driven - your pockets would scratch it.

This link provides an option to build your own seat kit. You can choose vinyl, leather trimmed, and 100% leather.

https://www.leatherseats.com/shop/leather-interior-kits.html?___store=default

I guess what the "trimmed" means in Mazda's brochure means the seated areas that touch your back and butt and the headrest side that touches your head. In the link above their trimmed kit is cheaper than the 100% covered (front and back of seat) kit. They provide comparison pics of what the "trimmed" vs 100% covered kits look like.

This link provides an option to build your own seat kit. You can choose vinyl, leather trimmed, and 100% leather.

I guess what the "trimmed" means in Mazda's brochure means the seated areas that touch your back and butt and the headrest side that touches your head. In the link above their trimmed kit is cheaper than the 100% covered (front and back of seat) kit. They provide comparison pics of what the "trimmed" vs 100% covered kits look like.

I've looked at this site - their products look nice...better than stock leather IMO. I would be curious to know if they offer any more comfortable/softer feel when in the seat.

I used this company when I replaced the leather on my previous Miata. The company is first-rate. The new leather fit perfectly. The materials are higher quality than the original. I had a technical issue on the install and their 'phone support was actually helpful. Doing the work yourself (I did, but never again) does NOT void the materials warranty. Six years later they still look like new. At the time I purchased I opted for leather facing rather than full leather 'cause no one ever sees the back of a Miata seat. THere was only one quality of leather then, but now have a softer, higher-grade option with fewer colour choices. The material I installed are firm but thick feeling.

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back