2016.5 CX-5 Stress Crack Advice

TFD50

:
2016 CX-5 Sport
Hey everyone, looking for some advice here. This crack in the middle of my windshield started over the weekend and over the next day curved into the little hook pattern. It is in the EXACT middle of the windshield and is an EXACT straight line, also look at the separation which is quite large. I never heard any sort of impact and the depth of the crack is the same. I went to the dealer and got the usual blah blah windshields aren't normally covered. we haven't seen one covered in 20 year, but they could do nothing to explain the preciseness of the crack. They are contacting Mazda, but looking for some advice on how to handle this should it not go in my favor. Appreciate any help! (Sorry for the obnoxiously large pictures, can i edit that somehow?)

PNHWfAX.jpg

RHWdtXo.jpg

LIQLjzF.jpg

spSL4nV.jpg

Looks like a defect of some kind. Could be from torque on the bolt holding the mirror assembly. Stay on the dealer, or try a different one, or contact Mazda USA.

I would be curious to see if there was a nick at the top of the windshield under the silicon when it was installed. With no stone chips as a starting point in the window I would have to agree it was an installation issue?

Hey everyone, looking for some advice here. This crack in the middle of my windshield started over the weekend and over the next day curved into the little hook pattern. It is in the EXACT middle of the windshield and is an EXACT straight line, also look at the separation which is quite large. I never heard any sort of impact and the depth of the crack is the same. I went to the dealer and got the usual blah blah windshields aren't normally covered. we haven't seen one covered in 20 year, but they could do nothing to explain the preciseness of the crack. They are contacting Mazda, but looking for some advice on how to handle this should it not go in my favor. Appreciate any help! (Sorry for the obnoxiously large pictures, can i edit that somehow?)

I had the same issue after six weeks of ownership. Once the dealer checked to confirm that it wasn't the result of rock or debris, they replaced it under warranty. I would persist with the dealer. Call Mazda corporate if needed.

See my post here:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848016-Cracked-Windshield-on-2016-CX-5&highlight=

Last edited:
Recently I had mine replaced under warranty. They check it, with a pencil's tip. If they don't "feel" anything with it, than they will replace it.

If there's no rock chip or other damage to the windshield, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be replaced under warranty. Take it in now.

You take a pic of my windshield bro?

Mine has the same crack, same funky shape, etc but it came from a rock that impacted near the roofline. But tell me this isn't fishy...
208e49e.jpg

Mazda has weak windshields, sorry. Second one in less than a year. They break too easy. My domestics have NEVER had an issue, every Japanese car I have had, has.

Same thing happened, sort of, but dealer said it's from a chip using a ballpoint pen tip to run across the crack. Still haven't replaced my windshield since it cracked back in January.

Same thing happened, sort of, but dealer said it's from a chip using a ballpoint pen tip to run across the crack. Still haven't replaced my windshield since it cracked back in January.

I recommend upgrading insurance policies. Mine covers stuff like that at 0 ded. It is an extra 4-5 bucks a month, I believe.

I recommend upgrading insurance policies. Mine covers stuff like that at 0 ded. It is an extra 4-5 bucks a month, I believe.

I agree. My insurance handles glass claims under comprehensive, but it's also a very small difference in cost to carry a $50 comprehensive deductible versus a $100+ comprehensive deductible. Collision has the larger differences in cost based on deductibles. I've had insurance carriers that included glass coverage, and the cost was very minimal as well.

I'm sure you're very aware being in Arkansas, but glass coverage is a very big concern out here in the Midwest. Gotta love that hail.

Crazy! Mine has a crack in the exact same spot too! Although mine is pretty clearly from a rock chip, I agree it's fishy they are cracking in the same spot...

4cdfff4f-d5b1-46a4-b99a-7cee7d2d0f0b_zpscqqu42m3.jpg

I haven't fixed mine yet either...waiting for the spring hail storms to stop first. And it's stayed out of my direct line of sight so it's not an immediate concern.

Last edited:
The same happened to me on my 2014.5 months ago. Same line, same position.

It's still there. Mazda Chile will not replace it under warranty. So I will have to use my insurance.

My comprehensive insurance is $100 deductible, which I think that should cover glass, but I haven't asked and haven't bothered replacing it yet.

A little update, they actually ended up replacing it, Mazda covered it. When they inspected it there was no evidence of a chip which helped. Took awhile for them to get the glass in, but got it all taken care of yesterday. Appreciate everyone's help and advice!

I've been really lucky.. not even a single windshield ding that needed a repair. I say this as my other cars usually get 6+ ding repairs a years. A little less road construction on my normal paths this year so maybe that helps. I did drop comp from $500 to $50 in anticipation of a repair but it hasn't happened yet. One could raise comp to $1K but then what is the point as even the Mazda OEM windshield wouldn't be covered by that. :)

Same here. Just got into the car one day & it had a huge crack that starts from the middle in an ExacT straight line then curves left & right. I took it to the dealer when I had my service & they gave me the same line of BS. However, prior to taking it into the dealer I had stopped at two different glass shops, Techniglass & Safelite. Both techs told me that there was no rock chip & that it was a stress crack & it should be covered under warrantly from dealer. I told the Service Manager that & he told me they had done the "pen" check & that there was a rock chip. Service Manager told me he was going to check with MAZDA corporate to see what he could do, I told him he should just replace it as it is obviously defective. I did note also that the middle top of the windshield gets really hot because of all the crap they have mounted at the top inside the black plastic cover. From what I have read on this site & many others, this is an ongoing problem & it appears Mazda does not want to acknowledge it. Time to unite & file a class action lawsuit!!!

Same here. .............................................. From what I have read on this site & many others, this is an ongoing problem & it appears Mazda does not want to acknowledge it. Time to unite & file a class action lawsuit!!!

For crying out loud, no! Several people on this forum have gotten new windshields. That is "acknowledging it". It is unreasonable to expect to be protected from all risk. If the dealer found a rock chip, ask him to prove it. If he can, drive it or fix it, on your own dime. If not, calmly and politely appeal up the warranty chain.

Mazda is a small manufacturer. I want them to be healthy enough to fix real defects, not spending money on frivolous lawsuits.

Back