2003 protege5 dies if i dont give it gas

yeah they guy told me he bought the head already rebuit with all new cams and valve seals and stuff. but people lie a lot haha. i paid $400 for the car with zero rust and perfect interior no body damage. so i might just pull the engine and just rebuild the whole thing. atleast with it out i can see all the vacuum lines....there is a chatter from behind the timing belt cover now. haha thanks for the input im going to get it on a lift soon so i can see the bottom of the intake. make sure everything is ok. before i yank the head.

Okok so i was like might as well seafoam this thing since i seen a lot of nastiness inside that intake. So first time i did it until it died waited 30 minutes and started it up again and of course the sea foam smoke.. Idles a tiny better? So i said screw it did an entire bottle and really choked it up. Let it sit for 4 hours. Went and started it up and it was actually had a pretty damn good idle going on. So i revd it some until i didnt see much sea foam smoke. It set there idled a little high around 900-1000 rpms. And had a slight miss every 10 to 15 seconds. But it didnt stumble. 0.o soooo maybe something was just dirty? Or It was a fluke and when i go to start it tomorrownit will run like crap and stall again lol

Last edited:
I'm pressed for time so don't have time to read through all this lol - it may have already been discussed, but I had a similar problem and I think one or both of the same codes…the intake boot was ripped with a huge hole on the bottom that I couldn't see.

Lol its ok thanks for the reply. Boot was the first thing i hecked. Lol it has short air intake on it now. With no leaks. ... Thats how i got my first protege5. Had a ripped boot and guy couldnt figure out why it ran like garbage lol

The old engine in my P5 smoked just like that. The oil rings looked like this. Stuck with carbon, and they had very little tension.

Update. Lol dont ever listen to anyone.. Or dont take anyone's word i should say. Decided to test compression myself.

#1 150
#2 80
#3 115
#4 200

Clearly rings are bad lol

Maybe thats where the bad idle is coming from.?

I am going to try and run a can of RESTORE through it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Update. Lol dont ever listen to anyone.. Or dont take anyone's word i should say. Decided to test compression myself.

#1 150
#2 80
#3 115
#4 200

Clearly rings are bad lol

Maybe thats where the bad idle is coming from.?

I am going to try and run a can of RESTORE through it and see what happens.

With two adjacent cylinders low on compression, you may be looking at a blown head gasket.

I stuck some oil in the cylinders and it increased the compression by 60lbs. Thats how i came to conclusion rings. I was going to do the leak down test to be 100% but had to get to work. But that big increase just adding oil Is a pretty big indicator.

Well have not been able to mess with it much. But i have been thinking maybe it is head gasket. When i tested the number 2 cylinder for compression after adding oil. Well i added way too much oil . Suppose to use like a table spoon or so i put like a cup in lol so ill try leakdown test tomorrow. Just to make sure before i tear in to it.

so i ordered an endoscope from ebay. for $11. got it in the mail today. looked in the number 2 cylinder. had some oil on it. but not a lot. it would burn off fast if it was from valve seals. so i cranked it up for about 3 seconds then shut it off real fast. checked it again and this is what i found. it is a fast video but im sure you can see what i was looking for. haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqR0O7HiNU

Back