Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Not at dealer.....I am going to wait until after Memorial Day because I need to use it this weekend. It's apparently been doing this a while and oil level is still at full mark so not gonna sweat it in the short term.

Thanks for info! .... leak is so minor I am going to wait until after Memorial Day weekend to schedule a visit. I will probably have to go out of my way insisting they put moly back in it. It only has about 2500 miles on current oil change.
I'd wait until at least approaching to 5K-miles of your current oil life and take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer you have good relation with the service advisor. For this type of minor oil leak some dealers may easily dismiss it as "normal"! By waiting longer you may see more oil leaking out, and you really don't want "re-use" the drain-out oil while they replacing pan gaskets, rear crankshaft or front transmission shaft seals. But be sure checking your oil level more frequently.

For a while I thought it's front timing-chain cover. But I really don't mind you're posting more pictures! And pictures are find on cell phone as their size got adjusted automatically to fit in the tiny cell phone screen. :)

I am going to get it fixed sooner rather than later. I have no concerns about dealer denying this. It is a leak.. there is fresh oil there and this is after 4K miles. I've never had a car under warranty with any amount of seepage that wasn't fixed... the old Explorer... it's rear main seal definitely has some small leaks.....but the cost to fix is well beyond it's value.

Last edited:
I am going to get it fixed sooner rather than later. I have no concerns about dealer denying this. It is a leak.. there is fresh oil there and this is after 4K miles. I've never had a car under warranty with any amount of seepage that wasn't fixed... the old Explorer... it's rear main seal definitely has some small leaks.....but the cost to fix is well beyond it's value.
I thought you said your moly oil has only 2,500-mile oil life on it? In any case you may need fresh oil, if the problem is indeed caused by any of these gaskets or seals. Just don't know if the fresh oil is also covered under warranty.

Correct. The oil only has 2,500 miles on it but 4,000 miles ago when I changed the diff fluids this same oil residue in pictures was present. At that time, I cleaned it up spotless thinking it was somehow leftover from an oil change. The first time there was even a small accumulation of oil on the top of the splash shield. A person would never know this was occurring unless they dropped the front splash shield as you can't easily see this area. However, I think one may be able to see the area just dropping a few of the front fasteners and screws and shining an LED flashlight down the middle.

They usually dump some dye in the motor or trans then let you drive for a few miles and then you come back and then they hit the affected area with a black light to determine where it's leaking from.

They usually dump some dye in the motor or trans then let you drive for a few miles and then you come back and then they hit the affected area with a black light to determine where it's leaking from.

Whatever I need to do to get it fixed I am fine.... I can live with a little seepage at 100K+ but not at 24K.. I had a complete steering rack replaced in my Infiniti for 1/4 of this fluid weep

I'm approaching 53k miles soon, guess I'll pull those panels underneath within a few thousand miles of the power train warranty expiring just to make sure everything's kosher..

Most manufactures will only warranty leaks that form a drip and not just weep.

Last edited:
The first time I cleaned this up it would have caused drops on the ground but where it welled up in splash shield it had nowhere to go. This is a wet leak.... I shouldn't have referenced as a weep.

I have no concerns Mazda will fix this for me.

Last edited:
I had a small leak from the PTU seal. Visibly, it looked even less serious than the pictures above. It was fixed with no issue by my dealer under warranty.
For a while, I thought it is just a bit of mess from the previous oil-change, but that was not the case. I personally would not be happy unless my vehicle was not leaking and the dealer is happy for the job paid for by Mazda corp.

Not sure but is there some gasket paste missing in this picture? If so, perhaps this is the same as my car and this will necessitate a recall of certain vins.

attachment.php

I'm going to pull the splash shield and check for leaks myself before the warranty expires. For those with leaking trannies can you smell oil it and are you able to see dried oil on the splash shield?

Last edited:
I know this might be asking a lot, but what does the fluid smell like?

Whoops didn't see Cx-5um post

Last edited:
I didn't smell anything with mine... fairly certain it is motor oil and not AT. I am not sure though. Even though the SkyActiv fluid is blue it might not look that way with this coating. I know when I pulled the AT dipstick last year it looked clear but a new bottle of fluid would be blue. A few more months and I probably would have had an accumulation again in the splash shield. I cleaned this up spotless in January so this is what it looked like after 4K miles.

I also want to point out that my dealership did an AT fluid flush for the CX-5 at around 38k miles or so. No leaks on the report/receipt. Chances are they used a new gasket.

Kedis- Wait what? its not ATF fluid you suspect meaning its engine oil? Let us know what the dealership reports.

yeah...it does look like engine oil to me but we'll see when I take it in within the next couple weeks.

Not sure but is there some gasket paste missing in this picture? If so, perhaps this is the same as my car and this will necessitate a recall of certain vins.

attachment.php
Is this picture from Kedis82ZE8's? His leak seems from between engine and transmission. The picture shown between engine rear-end and transmission front is not a sealed space with torque converter inside. The gasket for both cases may be only partial or as a whole, but it doesn't matter for his oil leak.

I also want to point out that my dealership did an AT fluid flush for the CX-5 at around 38k miles or so. No leaks on the report/receipt. Chances are they used a new gasket.
I'm not sure how did your dealer "flush" your SkyActiv automatic transmission? There's no ATF lines coming out to radiator for cooling, hence there's no way to hook up the ATF flushing machine. I suspect your dealer did the drop-pan ATF change at most, without changing ATF filter cartridge inside. And there's no gasket for transmission fluid pan, only sealer is applied around the pan.

Back