How common are Mazdas?

If your wife decides to buy a Lexus, here is an interesting comparison review of the 2 cars for some light reading. If the main criteria for you in choosing a vehicle is a high crash rating of the passenger front, then it shouldn't be too hard to find an alternative. I respect your own criteria but I doubt many buyers are going to go to the NHTSA website to do their own research on specific compartment crash rating before choosing the vehicle to buy. This has nothing to do with the popularity of Mazda in your country which this thread was all about. Many many factors are considered in choosing a vehicle, everyone is different I guess.

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much you folks seem to love Mazda, and specifically the CX-5. It's absolutely a darling in Australia.

I have read that it's really tearing up sales, there.

It's definitely interesting. Whether or not one believes they should be compared to entry- or mid- level luxury cars (as much as I want to see my lovely little CX-5 beat the snot out of a Lexus, there seemed to be considerable bias in that review that didn't sit right with me), they seem to be doing something right. I wonder what is it about Aussie driving habits or purchasing philosophy that puts Mazda in such a dominant position down under.

I see tons of Mazdas out here. Heck there are three other CX-5s that park near me at work. There are also several Mazda3s of varying generations that park nearby as well. I tend to see a ton of Subarus, Mazdas, and Acura SUVs out on the road as far as imports are concerned. American made cars are much more common, but there are still a significant number of Mazdas on the road.

We have a very healthy number of Mazda dealers in this area though. That can definitely help.

This guy is at it again, posting unsupported nonsense:

I have read that it's (change in pass safety rating) really tearing up sales, there (Australia).

He seems to have missed/ignored the facts yet again.

Australia's best selling SUVs so far in 2016:
1. Mazda CX 5 - 2156
2. Hyundai Tucson - 1849
3. Nissan X Trail - 1669
4. Toyota RAV 4 - 1514

http://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/...-february-2016

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/th...stralia-2016-1

I'm sure many remain skeptical of much of what he posts.
If he starts providing some links it would help his cause.

It's definitely interesting. Whether or not one believes they should be compared to entry- or mid- level luxury cars (as much as I want to see my lovely little CX-5 beat the snot out of a Lexus, there seemed to be considerable bias in that review that didn't sit right with me), they seem to be doing something right. I wonder what is it about Aussie driving habits or purchasing philosophy that puts Mazda in such a dominant position down under.
Apologies my previous post was accidentally deleted.
Mazda's are seen in Aus to hit the middle ground between mainstream and luxury hence giving it a slightly premium offering. As far as imports go, Mazda's interior is clearly way more premium looking than the other imports of the same price point (eg. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Peugeot etc.) and their exterior design is definitely more modern and different from the generic mainstream designs out there. Those are the main factors as well as the options Mazda provides eg. Manual / Auto variants, Diesel / Petrol versions etc and that coupled with the driving/handling dynamics of Mazda and it's fuel efficiency makes it a winner here.

I agree that the comparison is out of the norm and it mentioned it too but its interesting nonetheless to see the differences between the 2 different segment vehicles to evaluate an individual's need to arrive at an equation of whether the price gap justifies one's individual needs / criteria for choosing one or the other. Some rather not buy a luxury vehicle with the extra options which can be had in the CX-5 Tech Package for example with SCBS, AFS, ALH, Blind Spot Monitor, RCTA, Radar Cruise Control, High Beam Assist etc all considered i-active Safety package here for much cheaper than if they would have to buy a base Luxury vehicle and add thousands more just for these extra options which would make the cost difference much more considerable.

This guy is at it again, posting unsupported nonsense:

He seems to have missed/ignored the facts yet again.

Australia's best selling SUVs so far in 2016:
1. Mazda CX 5 - 2156
2. Hyundai Tucson - 1849
3. Nissan X Trail - 1669
4. Toyota RAV 4 - 1514

http://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/...-february-2016

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/th...stralia-2016-1

I'm sure many remain skeptical of much of what he posts.
If he starts providing some links it would help his cause.

If you're going to quote me, then quote me. Don't write a bunch of crap in quote html and attribute it to me when anyone can go up a few posts and see what I really said. You've lost all credibility, now, in my book. Trying to edit what I said in your own quote to make it sound like I said the opposite of what I said like noone can go back and see what I actually wrote, also noting there is no "edit stamp" for my original post. I now see why you chose your username.

Since it didn't show up above, here is the shenanigans Dr. Awkward tried to pull.
2qncs5c.jpg

Best check out my other post where your advice on extended warranties was also throughly debunked while your panties are all wadded up about who is more credible.

And I wish you would provide some links to support all the nonsense in your opinions.

Last edited:
Best check out my other post where your advice on extended warranties was also throughly debunked while your panties are all wadded up about who is more credible.

Did you write that one in, too, or did you at least accurately quote me? Lemme go look...

Mazda's are seen in Aus to hit the middle ground between mainstream and luxury hence giving it a slightly premium offering. As far as imports go, Mazda's interior is clearly way more premium looking than the other imports of the same price point (eg. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Peugeot etc.) and their exterior design is definitely more modern and different from the generic mainstream designs out there. Those are the main factors as well as the options Mazda provides eg. Manual / Auto variants, Diesel / Petrol versions etc and that coupled with the driving/handling dynamics of Mazda and it's fuel efficiency makes it a winner here.

I agree that the comparison is out of the norm and it mentioned it too but its interesting nonetheless to see the differences between the 2 different segment vehicles to evaluate an individual's need to arrive at an equation of whether the price gap justifies one's individual needs / criteria for choosing one or the other. Some rather not buy a luxury vehicle with the extra options which can be had in the CX-5 Tech Package for example with SCBS, AFS, ALH, Blind Spot Monitor, RCTA, Radar Cruise Control, High Beam Assist etc all considered i-active Safety package here for much cheaper than if they would have to buy a base Luxury vehicle and add thousands more just for these extra options which would make the cost difference much more considerable.

This is interesting. I know Mazda's have a dominant presence/reputation in Australia at least when compared to their standing in the U.S. Then again Australia is big on driving dynamics.

This is interesting. I know Mazda's have a dominant presence/reputation in Australia at least when compared to their standing in the U.S. Then again Australia is big on driving dynamics.

What's the breakdown of gas to diesel cx5s in Australia ? I think that plays a huge role.

What's the breakdown of gas to diesel cx5s in Australia ? I think that plays a huge role.

Ahh good point. Imagine if they had Mazda Diesels that passed U.S. Emissions....without cheating. They would sell like hotcakes out here !!!

Ahh good point. Imagine if they had Mazda Diesels that passed U.S. Emissions....without cheating. They would sell like hotcakes out here !!!
The standard American may not have bought a diesel CX-5, but I would likely have. Of course, I also would have bought a Mazda6 wagon... especially if they offered that with a diesel...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would you mind to repost the link? I've never seen the comparison between CX5 and NX before as most reviewers consider these two are at totally different level for comparison. I was just about to show my wife the article but then found out your post with link is gone! Besides, it's interesting to see Australian version CX-5 with some features we don't have in the pictures.

Diesels are very popular not only in Europe, but also in Asia. Especially in Asia, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline in many countries due to government subsidy.

Would you mind to repost the link? I've never seen the comparison between CX5 and NX before as most reviewers consider these two are at totally different level for comparison. I was just about to show my wife the article but then found out your post with link is gone! Besides, it's interesting to see Australian version CX-5 with some features we don't have in the pictures.

Link still in a previous post. Here it is again. CX-5 vs. NX200t comparison.

In Australia, the Skyactiv-D 2.2 litre twin turbo accounts for 20% of the sales. It has the world's lowest compression ratio diesel engine rated at 173hp, 420Nm Torque, fuel consumption rated at a combined 53mpg. It has better performance than the petrol version but demands an extra $3500 to the purchase price. All the other rivals ie. RAV4, CRV, Tucson also offer Diesels.

In Australia, the Skyactiv-D 2.2 litre twin turbo accounts for 20% of the sales. It has the world's lowest compression ratio diesel engine rated at 173hp, 420Nm Torque, fuel consumption rated at a combined 53mpg. It has better performance than the petrol version but demands an extra $3500 to the purchase price. All the other rivals ie. RAV4, CRV, Tucson also offer Diesels.

How do their offerings compare? Are they reliable unlike the mazda diesel?

Back