2016.5 Did they change the frame

blackbear

:
Mazda CX5 Touring 2016.5
First, I went to purchase a 2" hitch on my new 16.5 touring, not to pull max loads, but want the 2" for more options. I settled on a Drawtight P/N 75748. It is listed to fit on 2013-15 models but to my surprise the web site said it was not compatible on my 2016. Did they change the frame configuration, tweak the plastic bumper or some other surprise?
Another surprise was front and rear tow hooks are not supplied on the 2016's (I carry 2 14ft kayaks), so I go to order up front and rear JDM folding tow hooks and there web site says 2016 are NOT compatible.
WHAT?? Skyactive, say what.
Any help out there appreciated

First, I went to purchase a 2" hitch on my new 16.5 touring, not to pull max loads, but want the 2" for more options. I settled on a Drawtight P/N 75748. It is listed to fit on 2013-15 models but to my surprise the web site said it was not compatible on my 2016. Did they change the frame configuration, tweak the plastic bumper or some other surprise?
Another surprise was front and rear tow hooks are not supplied on the 2016's (I carry 2 14ft kayaks), so I go to order up front and rear JDM folding tow hooks and there web site says 2016 are NOT compatible.
Oh...welcome to MY! life. I bought a BERK CBE for my 2012 370Z (in 2012), and it wouldn't fit for s***. It literally kept falling off the rear hooks that held it up by rubber grommet thingies because it wasn't shaped right. BERK of course had s*** for customer service, and so it never got fixed, but yeah, minor tweaks happen...

No change. I would recommend you get a curt, model 13127. It's around 120 with free shipping on Amazon and a lot of owners here have it and really like it.

... Another surprise was front and rear tow hooks are not supplied on the 2016's (I carry 2 14ft kayaks), so I go to order up front and rear JDM folding tow hooks and there web site says 2016 are NOT compatible.
You can order these "tie-down" hooks from any online Mazda dealers. Mazda North American Opetations had decided to remove these hooks since MY 2016 possibly due to liability issues.

Last edited:
Those hooks are not tow hooks! Do not try to use them for pulling the car or pulling something with the car as they will likely pull off the bumper or damage it in some other way. The hooks are tie down hooks, it's what mazda uses to secure the car to the boat when shipping it from Japan. you should be fine using them for the kayaks and what not. I got my dealer to throw them in with the purchase. And the frames are the same. I suspect that some outfits haven't updated their fit guides for which hitch fits to reflect the 2016's yet. But they all are the same frame on the CX-5

Those hooks are not tow hooks! Do not try to use them for pulling the car or pulling something with the car as they will likely pull off the bumper or damage it in some other way. The hooks are tie down hooks, it's what mazda uses to secure the car to the boat when shipping it from Japan. you should be fine using them for the kayaks and what not. I got my dealer to throw them in with the purchase. And the frames are the same. I suspect that some outfits haven't updated their fit guides for which hitch fits to reflect the 2016's yet. But they all are the same frame on the CX-5

Probably why they no longer include them...

They are not attached to the bumper. They go through a over size hole in the bumper. When installed they defeat the crash protection of the bumper. They are used for emegercy towing and fro pulling the car onto a flatbed

From the manual

Emergency towing

Remove the cap completely and store it so as
not to lose it.
3. Securely install the tie down eyelet
using the lug wrench

Just visit a U-Haul.

I had them install a 2" hitch and electrical on my 2016 CX-5. No it's not a 16.5, but that doesn't matter. There are no structural changes between the models.

Back