Very disapointing fuel economy from recent roadtrip...

"Hitting EPA" at 70+ is actually exceeding EPA, which maxes out at 60 mph. The evidence I've read in people's posts here make it pretty clear that the CX-5 does meet EPA highway at 60. I wonder if some of the vehicles that you've owned that exceeded EPA were geared for real world results rather than maximizing EPA highway mileage? My Volvo 854T with a top speed over 150 mph got better mileage at 80 than 60.

That has LONG been my opinion. The manufacturers did not "game" the EPA testing protocol. They went for REAL world results, and kudos to them! It's kindof like a kid that went to a trade school and learned to be a welder vs. one with a Masters from an Ivy League school in Women's Studies. Sure, you can brag about your sexy window sticker...but you aren't going to be bringing home the goods.

Did you make manual MPG calculations for both cars? If not, why should we think the measurements are accurate at all?
Yes, I did. The Jeep was relatively "on", within 0.5mpg typically, while my CX-5 is a bit pessimistic by 1mpg.
To substantiate a claim like this you'd need more accurate data, better not just one vehicle (e.g. maybe yours is broken?). Sorry, but 1 sample is just meaningless and relying on inaccurate dashboard gauge for this makes all this just pointless.
"Maybe my CX-5 is broken". Well, that's pretty bad, huh? It's "broken" even though no SES lights are on, it runs smoothly, etc. Either you're very wrong, or Mazda has magic gremlins.
Also, it is ridiculous to compare a gas-guzzler, with no efficiency what so ever, to a CX-5, on fuel economy when speeding. It is not meaningful at all.
I'd not consider my Jeep a gas guzzler. I got around 16mpg out of it during my daily commute while the CX-5 does 22.5. That's not really offputting to me.

Compare the MPG distribution of a direct competitor with similar configuration, the CR-V vs. the CX-5.
What you notice is that the CX-5's fuel-ups bars close to the average are higher then their neighbors, where as the CR-V gets higher bars away from the average, by a little bit (compare 22MPG bar at the CR-V is almost 1/2 that of the average, same bar for the CX-5 is clearly less than 1/2 the average). This implies a higher variance for the CR-V. Now, I am sure some people on fuelly drive faster than 75MPH on a daily basis, for both CR-V and CX-5 groups, only that the CX-5 distribution is somewhat tighter around the average.
Who knows? It's hard to say, because there isn't a "highway only" comparison.
If the CX-5 was finicky about getting best MPG in only very narrow set of conditions, the distribution would have shown it. It does not.
This is based on 128 different vehicles and 7470 fuel-ups for the CX-5, not 1 sample.

Fine. Take your CX-5 out, and go drive it for 75mph+ on your next road trip. Report back to us with your mileage averaged BOTH DIRECTIONS. I've done that with my vehicles, and the CX-5 is the only one drastically poorer than advertised. You can argue about things you read online, stuff you got from a book, and all of that all day long, but if it doesn't match up with 15,000 miles of my own experience with the vehicle...

Also, FYI, one time I was running LOW on fuel in my Jeep. I shuffled on down to 50-55mph (new road to me, way longer section than I thought without gas stations...I was worried). Ended up getting around 23mpg. Just as a datapoint....but do I call my Jeep a 23mpg vehicle? Oh hell no. It got 18-19 mpg highway. Doing 75-80. Just like it was rated to by the EPA. Whether or not that's just a happy coincidence, I dunno, but I have come to expect it, as my Z06 did it, my Jeep did it. my Trans Ams both did it, and my Mustang was so far from stock there are no EPA ratings remotely related to it, lol

Last edited:
My experience too. You would think that the OE calculated mpg would be optimistic, but it's conservative. I've been comparing it to hand-calcs and actual mpg is typically 0.2 to 0.7 mpg better than the display over the 11k miles I've driven thus far.
With your personal calculations you're relying on an inconsistent variable, that is the volume of fuel pumped before the nozzle shutoff mechanism stops the pumping. Those are most certainly not created equal between varying nozzles and fill up stations.

Alternatively, the ECU formulates it's calculations using very precise increments consisting of volume of fuel consumed by the engine, as opposed to pump fill-up volume. Not to mention many times those pump meters may not be proved as frequently as they should and are likely incorrect. That's my thought on that matter anyway...

As far as these vehicles coming up short on EPA efficiency ratings, count me in as one who's always met or exceeding those ratings, including both my current Mazdas.

I experiment quite frequently with how my driving habits affect efficiency, most notably how significantly efficiency diminishes. I can really do well in my 3, but it probably pisses off the drivers behind me and makes me late for work. So, I settle for low 30s and just try to keep up with pace of traffic as best I can.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

With your personal calculations you're relying on an inconsistent variable, that is the volume of fuel pumped before the nozzle shutoff mechanism stops the pumping. Those are most certainly not created equal between varying nozzles and fill up stations.

This variation would be averaged out over the roughly 30 fill-ups I've measured so far.

Cheers,

Gary

I can tell you at 75 MPH the instant readings I see are much better (27~30), as long as the road is flat, no strong wind etc. To get an instant reading of 21 MPG I need to climb a small hill or accelerate.
Perhaps something is wrong with your vehicle? Or maybe your gauge is not working properly?

I can tell you at 75 MPH the instant readings I see are much better (27~30), as long as the road is flat, no strong wind etc. To get an instant reading of 21 MPG I need to climb a small hill or accelerate.
Perhaps something is wrong with your vehicle? Or maybe your gauge is not working properly?

That is what I've been telling people. The area I live in is VERY hilly. That ENTIRE VIDEO was made on inclines and declines, hence the instant read-outs you saw. The inclines and declines stretch for miles. People on this forum, by and large, can't wrap their heads around it, and the video supports what I've been saying about NWA. It's one big hill. Literally. However, my complaints for mileage come from driving across Louisiana and Texas, too. Not just here.

That is what I've been telling people. The area I live in is VERY hilly. That ENTIRE VIDEO was made on inclines and declines, hence the instant read-outs you saw. The inclines and declines stretch for miles. People on this forum, by and large, can't wrap their heads around it, and the video supports what I've been saying about NWA. It's one big hill. Literally. However, my complaints for mileage come from driving across Louisiana and Texas, too. Not just here.

Why are you stuck on instant mpg so much? It means absolutely nothing. You should be concerned with the average. Getting 15mpg going up a hill, than 45mpg going down a hill means absolutely nothing. It's your average that means everything. I also live in a very hilly area. I still average about 30mpg 50/50 driving.

Why are you stuck on instant mpg so much? It means absolutely nothing. You should be concerned with the average. Getting 15mpg going up a hill, than 45mpg going down a hill means absolutely nothing. It's your average that means everything. I also live in a very hilly area. I still average about 30mpg 50/50 driving.

Where did I say that? I think you're reading someone else's posts....

I AVERAGE 22-23.5mpg. AVERAGE. After 10K miles.

... but on the way down I get 99MPG instant reading for a while.
Driving to Tahoe, a ~7000 ft climb, and back still can get me respectable numbers ~28 MPG or even ~30 MPG if I drive through roads with 55 MPH limit part of the way. Hell, even just the up direction gets me 24~25 MPG (keep in mind 130 miles are relatively flat, 70 miles are uphill).

So, perhaps you have a problem in your vehicle?

Last edited:
... but on the way down I get 99MPG instant reading for a while.
Driving to Tahoe, a ~7000 ft climb, and back still can get me respectable numbers ~28 MPG or even ~30 MPG if I drive through roads with 55 MPH limit part of the way. Hell, even just the up direction gets me 24~25 MPG (keep in mind 130 miles are relatively flat, 70 miles are uphill).

So, perhaps you have a problem in your vehicle?

Okay, what magical problem might that be that myself and others seem to have? What kind of crap could POSSIBLY be wrong with it?

Tires are G2G pressure and tread-wear wise
Plugs have less than 50K miles
Oil is changed on time
Alignment is good
Air filter is 5K miles old
No body trim is dangling in the wind
Diff fluid is new, front and rear

These cars get s*** for mileage after 60mph. At 60, I can hit EPA ratings just fine. NOONE drives 60 though, unless they want to get in a wreck.

These cars get s*** for mileage after 60mph. At 60, I can hit EPA ratings just fine. NOONE drives 60 though, unless they want to get in a wreck.

Um, no. Hyperbole is hyperbolic. ;-)

When I drive 60, I don't wish to get in a wreck. When I drive 70, I get 29-30 mpg and am quite happy with that. I believe there may be others with similar experiences. I'm sorry you're upset over your mileage expectations not being met.

What's realistic? You can easily beat the EPA numbers if you drive slower. Am I going to drive 15MPH slower on a 1000 mile trip to get an extra 5MPG? no. But I would drive 2-3MPH slower if it meant going from 34 to 36 or 37 something, which sometimes is the case.

Realistic as in how many people drive. As in not driving slower just to beat the current numbers. [emoji4]. The last time they changed the standards I think was maybe 10 years ago, and that was the first time they had changed it in a long time. The test then had their highway driving based on 55mph!

No. I don't regularly drive 60MPH on the highway and many others do not as well.

Look again at the distribution of MPG on > 100 of CX-5s. Your car is an outlier. Many drivers get very good fuel economy, whereas you, along with a small subset of other drivers, get lower MPG. Some of these drivers might be 100% city with short trips, so you belong to even a smaller subset of drivers which do mostly highway, yet get low average MPG.
The question is why your experience is different and not common?

Last edited:
No. I don't regularly drive 60MPH on the highway and many others do not as well.

Look again at the distribution of MPG on > 100 of CX-5s. Your car is an outlier. Many drivers get very good fuel economy, whereas you, along with a small subset of other drivers, get lower MPG. Some of these drivers might be 100% city with short trips, so you belong to even a smaller subset of drivers which do mostly highway, yet get low average MPG.
The question is why your experience is different and not common?

Well, we have one of two conclusions. One, it just is what it is, or two, Mazda puts out junk vehicles that throw no SES codes, drive great, and have zero indicators of being junk except for having terrible mileage. Not very convincing, that latter. My mileage mirrors every other person who posts on here, who has a vehicle the same as mine, who is being honest about things, from what I've seen. For example, my mileage was in the mid 26's today, measured highway only, average speed 71mph per the read-out. That also seems to be what the vehicle is rated at per another chart posted. This is 3+ mpg short of the EPA sticker for highway, and I'm used to HITTING the EPA rating on the highway.

I challenge anyone to take their AWD 2.5L CX5 out, and make a 2-way trip over the same stretch of highway averaging 70+mph speed, and then to post up pictures of the mileage and average speed showing 29+mpg.

Last edited:
Nah. They don't. Who knows why yours does, or you think it does. You seem to have a lot of issues. Pity.

What issues exactly does mine have that are unique? I can't think of a single one, except for the diff getting flooded when I treated it like an SUV because it has no breather tube. Not exactly unique from a mechanical problem perspective, given the circumstance.

I think some people are just over-invested in their CX-5's, personally.

Well, we have one of two conclusions. One, it just is what it is, or two, Mazda puts out junk vehicles that throw no SES codes, drive great, and have zero indicators of being junk except for having terrible mileage. Not very convincing, that latter. My mileage mirrors every other person who posts on here, who has a vehicle the same as mine, who is being honest about things, from what I've seen. For example, my mileage was in the mid 26's today, measured highway only, average speed 71mph per the read-out. That also seems to be what the vehicle is rated at per another chart posted. This is 3+ mpg short of the EPA sticker for highway, and I'm used to HITTING the EPA rating on the highway.

I challenge anyone to take their AWD 2.5L CX5 out, and make a 2-way trip over the same stretch of highway averaging 70+mph speed, and then to post up pictures of the mileage and average speed showing 29+mpg.

I guess you missed my post with all the data from other drivers (literally hundreds) that contradicts you. I'll copy/paste.

Here's data...a lot of it, from Fuelly. 2016 CX-5 2.5L's avg 26 combined. EPA estimate is 26 for AWD, 29 for FWD. http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5

I don't know what year or model your Jeep was. EPA adjusts the tests over time, so who knows how valid your one datapoint is. Let's use Fuelly. http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler

About 17 mpg for the past few years. EPA estimates 18. However, there are many more cx-5's than Wranglers of recent years. Either way, its about a 5% difference.

I guess you missed my post with all the data from other drivers (literally hundreds) that contradicts you. I'll copy/paste.

Here's data...a lot of it, from Fuelly. 2016 CX-5 2.5L's avg 26 combined. EPA estimate is 26 for AWD, 29 for FWD. http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5

I don't know what year or model your Jeep was. EPA adjusts the tests over time, so who knows how valid your one datapoint is. Let's use Fuelly. http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler

About 17 mpg for the past few years. EPA estimates 18. However, there are many more cx-5's than Wranglers of recent years. Either way, its about a 5% difference.

Never owned a Wrangler, dunno anything about 'em.

That said, there are people on this board who poke along at 55-60mph. I figure they offset people like me, who drive 75-80 keeping pace with traffic. If I poke along at 55-60, I get around 31mpg. I risked death and dismemberment once to test it.

Last edited:
Never owned a Wrangler, dunno anything about 'em.

That said, there are people on this board who poke along at 55-60mph. I figure they offset people like me, who drive 75-80 keeping pace with traffic.

You said a Jeep, so I picked a Wrangler. Let us know what year/model your Jeep was and look on Fuelly.

Again, that is hundreds of datapoints that contradict your claims. I don't know whats up with your car or how you drive it or whatever... but most people get mileage that is good and within 5% of EPA.

You said a Jeep, so I picked a Wrangler. Let us know what year/model your Jeep was and look on Fuelly.

Again, that is hundreds of datapoints that contradict your claims. I don't know whats up with your car or how you drive it or whatever... but most people get mileage that is good and within 5% of EPA.

2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee w/HEMI and QD2. I got 17-19mpg, typically in the 18's, on cross-state road trips.

Back