2015 Nav - some functions suddenly greyed out

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
The NAV in my 2015 CX-5 has been fully functional in the year since I bought the car used (1 year old when purchased). I converted ownership of the NAV system just after I bought it and have received reminders from TomTom to update the maps.

On a recent trip I tried entering a new destination while my wife was driving on the highway. The "enter address" function was greyed out. It allowed access to addresses that were already entered and stored, but I couldn't even change cities to search for an address because the on-screen QWERTY keyboard was also greyed out.

Some of the "locks" on this NAV had been disabled by the previous owner - it previously allowed searches and entering new destinations while driving.

I'm wondering if TomTom disables new search functionality to try to force owners to buy new maps. Anyone know about this problem?

The only way I have been able to enter an address while driving is by using voice recognition (which actually works pretty well - 90% of the time for addresses) or Favourites. I think it's been blocked out - at least since August 2014 for mine.

As a safety measure, changing an address section is grayed out because the car in moving. You have to stop and then the grayed-out areas will now work.

Thanks for the replies.

I usually use voice commands - I can get it to work first time probably 90% of the time - but this time it didn't work. I was on the highway ~ 100 miles from home. I input the new address via voice command, but it just didn't respond. Then I asked my wife to input via screens and menus using on-screen keyboard, but found it greyed out. However, now that I'm back in my home city it seems to be working again. I have to drive ~ 70 miles out of town this morning so I'll check it on the highway. Wondering if there's another limitation on the system - perhaps keyboard works below a certain speed?

Once I had to turn off the car and restart it to reboot the unit when it got wacky. Works fine ever since.

Back