Parking lot - accident. Need help

No, if it's within 1500$ I would rather foot the bill. My deductible is $250.
what's the point in paying for such a low deductible if you're not going to use it? Might aw well carry a $2000 deductible and save ~30% on insurance
I agree. If OP doesn't use insurance for any minor damage to avoid all the drawbacks he mentioned, he should take advantage of lower premium with high deductible. I have $1,000 deductible as I know I wouldn't file insurance claim unless it's a severe one such as the hail damage we just suffered recently for about $4,500 worth of the repair.

Insurance business is totally different from the old days. We used to file claims for any damages. There's no record to trace during resale. And the premium would not increase if it's not our fault. Nowadays the insurance premium will increase no matter it's your fault or not. My homeowner insurance has almost doubled ANNUALLY since we filed a hail damage claim on the roof in 2014. Now another claim just filed and we received a letter stating that they're going to drop our policy if we file another claim!

image.jpeg photo

I'd get an estimate from a Mazda dealer and see how much the repair would cost as the radar sensor may need adjustment after the removal of your front grill. You can make your decision after you get the estimate. I'd file a claim and have the insurance pay for everything due to the low deductible. Get higher deductible when you renew your insurance for lower premium.

Nowadays the insurance premium will increase no matter it's your fault or not

Not always true. Someone hit my 2014 cx5 3 weeks after I bought it aND took off. Repairs were $2700 my ins didn't go up.

The resale value is a good point since I am going through that now with mine. I have pictures of the damage and the body shop paperwork showing factory parts were used. People still act like the car is covered in AIDS.

"Not always true. Someone hit my 2014 cx5 3 weeks after I bought it aND took off. Repairs were $2700 my ins didn't go up."

I called my agent and he told me that our premium shouldn't increase. We haven't had a claim for at least 15 years so that's probably the reason. We are already hit with the $500 deductible that we can't recoup so if on top of that our insurance premium goes up due to a no-fault claim, I will dump them in a heartbeat. I have other vehicles and the house insured with the same Company so I figure they'll ponder if it's worth losing a customer. We'll see at the end of the year when the policy renews.

Finally - got the OEM brand new headlight for $723 and brand new OEM bumper for $200. Install - I'll do. Paint match, got an auto-body to do it for $300. Net: $1200 (approx). If I take away my deductible, it's an extra $1000 but no premium rise or car value depreciation.

FWIW - I don't believe the front radar has to be calibrated as the actual sensor is mounted on the frame - the emblem is just a hallow piece of plastic it sees through. Found this out when my wife hit a deer a few months ago.

The headlight is going to cost you though - Mazda replaced mine when it got scuffed during delivery and I was told by them it was well over $1,000 to replace - LED motorized headlight housings are not cheap.

On the plus side, the bumper cover was pretty cheap from what I remember.

I went through our insurance and had ours professionally done (bumper cover, grille, emblem and a few brackets inside) - No offence to OP, but I don't understand how you can shell out $30k on a brand new vehicle and not want to give it a quality repair this early in it's life - but to each their own I suppose.

Edit:: Yikes - saw the picture and that's awful - I really hope karma bites that driver in the a$$ someday.

Last edited:
2 GT LED headlights for price of 1:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Always deals on eBay for various car parts, just have to search...and you can do the job yourself with some spare time.. Even fixing bumper cover by finding same color unit online & swapping to another used unit w/o damage will save you a bundle in $$$ and labor costs if you do it yourself.

Or brand new painted front cover for only $395:

I don't know your vehicle color - but just to show, prices for used front covers seem to be in the $175 range... This one is red:

I've also seen a used silver front cover on eBay too...

Last edited:
2 GT LED headlights for price of 1:

Always deals on eBay for various car parts, just have to search...and you can do the job yourself with some spare time.. Even fixing bumper cover by finding same color unit online & swapping to another used unit w/o damage will save you a bundle in $$$ and labor costs if you do it yourself.

Or brand new painted front cover for only $395:

I don't know your vehicle color - but just to show, prices for used front covers seem to be in the $175 range... This one is red:

I've also seen a used silver front cover on eBay too...
$1099 JDM LED headlights for CX-5 from your eBay link are used and shipping from Japan is additional $206. They're not US DOT approved headlights as they lack US only side-marker and amber side-reflector.

$175 bumper cover is used with Zeal Red Mica but the OP needs Soul Red.

I agree. Finding used parts on eBay is an excellent idea to save money.

OP- try to acquire parts yourself but do homework on fitment. Try replacement yourself however if you cannot then get labor quotes from different body shops.

All - I exhaustively checked craigslist, ebay and other parts stores. In fact also went to few junkyards. At the end - my best option was to go to the dealer and buy a brand new bumper cover. Total cost came to $230 after using 15% Costco discount. As for the headlight - I got shipped OEM for $723 VIN matched. Couple of pointers - there are sites which sell painted bumper covers approx. $550 however after investigating it - my color: Soul Red is a real b**** to match! I dont want to take any risks here. Already have a firm quote from a reputed auto body for $250 for paint match.

Installation - I can do it, including the headlight. Yes : I also confirmed there's no need to re-calibrate.

FWIW - I don't believe the front radar has to be calibrated as the actual sensor is mounted on the frame - the emblem is just a hallow piece of plastic it sees through. Found this out when my wife hit a deer a few months ago.

The headlight is going to cost you though - Mazda replaced mine when it got scuffed during delivery and I was told by them it was well over $1,000 to replace - LED motorized headlight housings are not cheap.

On the plus side, the bumper cover was pretty cheap from what I remember.

I went through our insurance and had ours professionally done (bumper cover, grille, emblem and a few brackets inside) - No offence to OP, but I don't understand how you can shell out $30k on a brand new vehicle and not want to give it a quality repair this early in it's life - but to each their own I suppose.

Edit:: Yikes - saw the picture and that's awful - I really hope karma bites that driver in the a$$ someday.

I want nothing to do with insurance as I do not intend to keep the car beyond warranty. An accident records linked to the VIN out here, in NJ severely affects the re-sale/trade-in values. I have 1st. hand experience on this. The stupid CARFAX doesn't even state what type of accident in detail. Kiss good-bye to trade-in or a sell where the dealer can put it up as pre certified later. As soon as there's an accident record - the car can not be sold as pre certified. Then - let's not forget the insurance premiums. Just 2 weeks back my wife caused a major accident in our 2nd. car. To each his own here, since every case differs.

I truly appreciate 1 good feedback though - my deductible is $250. That really doesn't make any sense and i should increase it to at least $1500, if anyways I am spending it myself. I agree to that, it was an oversight from my end. My financial situation was difficult last year in terms of available liquidity so had kept the deductible low, comprehensive is just $50. Forgot all about it!

My car's already paid, did it this month : the remaining $29,000.

I find Carfax pretty worthless... I've yet to see a minor fender bender of mine show up on a report. I can't remember the others offhand but would definitely rely on those for true accuracy. It sounds pretty draconian out east on insurance. I made a claim on my Infiniti a couple years back... it didn't affect rate but I think I have basically every policy that Allstate offers. I also keep $1K deductibles although I kept comp low on CX-5 in case the windshield stuff affected me.

Ironically I was looking at my rear bumper this evening and I think someone must have just tapped it slightly at some point. Just this small sliver and a smaller blemish in paint. So small you have to basically be a foot or two to see it. Not gonna sweat it... I intend to drive this at least 10 years.

Back