Smart City Brake Support: Thought I'd Share

I think you have a typo, your second screen shot shows that the 25 mph test the speed was reduced by 22 mph which is 3 mph...

I think you have a typo, your second screen shot shows that the 25 mph test the speed was reduced by 22 mph which is 3 mph...

You're right - I'll edit above - my interpretation of that was the obstacle was still hit but the car reduced its speed 22mph from 25mph - hitting the obstacle at 3mph - vs. without the package the car never stopped hitting the obstacle at a full 25mph.

This would mean with the added I-activesense package, SCBS works at slightly higher speeds (22 vs. 18).

Since the I-Activesense package only adds the additional radar sensor I'd be curious if It assists the laser and would pickup more objects rather than just having the laser by itself. After all, the radar sensor is used to slow the car down with radar cruise - why couldn't it be utilized for SCBS?

Last edited:
You're right - I'll edit above - my interpretation of that was the obstacle was still hit but the car reduced its speed 22mph from 25mph - hitting the obstacle at 3mph - vs. without the package the car never stopped hitting the obstacle at a full 25mph.

This would mean with the added I-activesense package, SCBS works at slightly higher speeds (22 vs. 18).

Since the I-Activesense package only adds the additional radar sensor I'd be curious if It assists the laser and would pickup more objects rather than just having the laser by itself. After all, the radar sensor is used to slow the car down with radar cruise - why couldn't it be utilized for SCBS?

I have some experience with autonomous robots ... some sensor types are better for some jobs than other. Infrared lasers are pretty good at close range and very accurate (if it gets a good reflection). It's also more pinpoint. The radar used has better distance, but accuracy may be lower - good enough for cruise control, but not for close up. It also has much more spread which could increase false positives.

Its possible, or this might be in the future, to combine the two intelligently. Radar could prime the laser to keep a watch on something for example.

I don't have the tech package so I'm not sure how the sensors and laser are placed (in the Mazda logo, IIRC?), but are they easy to get covered/affected by mud/water? Is there indication on the dash if the system detects blockage, to inform users to wipe/clean it?

I don't have the tech package so I'm not sure how the sensors and laser are placed (in the Mazda logo, IIRC?), but are they easy to get covered/affected by mud/water? Is there indication on the dash if the system detects blockage, to inform users to wipe/clean it?

I have the basic Tech package. A lot of the gadgets/sensors are in the rear view mirror baseplate.

There were times when I would start the car up before cleaning snow/ice off of the windshield this past winter, and the dash would display a warning stating that the sensors were blocked.

Smart City Brake Support system uses only laser sensor mounted on the windshield. It's Smart Brake Support with Collision Warning included in i-ActivSence Package uses both laser sensor mounted on the windshield and radar sensor hided behind the front emblem.

SCBS only activates when vehicle speed is between 2~18 mph including 2016 MY. SBS activates when vehicle speed is above 10 mph.
Not sure I agree - IIHS posted the results on their website for this - see my attached screenshots.

IIHS raised the rating for the 2016s:

2016's equipped with the forward obstruction warning (IE - I-Activesense) - reduced the speed by 22mph from 25mph in the test.

2014 - 2016's with ONLY SCBS - stopped vehicle at 12mph, but failed at 25mph.
I don't see any discrepancies between my statements and IIHS's test results. SCBS and SBS are two separate systems. SCBS is for low speed and SBS is for higher speed.

For 2016 CX-5 with i-ActivSense which reduced the speed by 22mph from 25mph in the test indicates SBS was at work as the speed was too high for SCBS which is only working between 2~18 mph.

2014~2016 CX-5's with only SCBS stopped vehicle at 12mph which means SCBS was at work at the speed between 2~18 mph. But once speed was at 25 mph, SCBS was no longer working as it's out of 2~18 mph range, hence it failed at 25 mph test.

One more thing, SCBS will ONLY apply brakes for you automatically if you don't initiate foot brake when the relative speed is under 12 mph. SCBS will ASSIST your brakes when you initiate the foot brake in the speed between 2~18 mph.

BTW, all information stated here is in owner's manual, page 4-125 through page 4-135.

I have the basic Tech package. A lot of the gadgets/sensors are in the rear view mirror baseplate.
For GT with Technology Package, there are only one laser sensor (to the right in the picture) and one rain sensor (left) in there.

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BWindshield%2BSensors_02.jpg

There is additional Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) in there on i-ActivSense Package for High Beam Control System (HBC), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), and Smart Brake Support (SBS).

For GT with Technology Package, there are only one laser sensor (to the right in the picture) and one rain sensor (left) in there.

There is additional Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) in there on i-ActivSense Package for High Beam Control System (HBC), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), and Smart Brake Support (SBS).

I don't see any discrepancies between my statements and IIHS's test results. SCBS and SBS are two separate systems. SCBS is for low speed and SBS is for higher speed.

For 2016 CX-5 with i-ActivSense which reduced the speed by 22mph from 25mph in the test indicates SBS was at work as the speed was too high for SCBS which is only working between 2~18 mph.

2014~2016 CX-5's with only SCBS stopped vehicle at 12mph which means SCBS was at work at the speed between 2~18 mph. But once speed was at 25 mph, SCBS was no longer working as it's out of 2~18 mph range, hence it failed at 25 mph test.

One more thing, SCBS will ONLY apply brakes for you automatically if you don't initiate foot brake when the relative speed is under 12 mph. SCBS will ASSIST your brakes when you initiate the foot brake in the speed between 2~18 mph.

BTW, all information stated here is in owner's manual, page 4-125 through page 4-135.

Interesting - yes, I've read the manual many times - it gives a good explanation of SCBS but IMO is extremely vague regarding the added SBS.

It sounds like SCBS stops the car from < 18mph and SBS will help slow the car down but not completely be able to stop it > 18 mph (does this have a max speed too?) - I didn't realize that I-activesense added a camera by the mirror - interesting stuff.

Anyone with this option willing to do any field tests? I think the wife would kill me if I did it with ours :)

Last edited:
I used a similar cardboard box in my driveway. Approached at about 15 mph and the system worked as designed. I did nothing but keep the throttle steady. Brakes were automatically applied, the CX 5 stopped inches from the cardboard box which was washing machine size.

I have iActiveSense. I opened up like the photo above and tapped into the FSC thru wire taps and routed it into a display monitor. to check The quality is HD for sure. This bugger picks up even vaguely printed lane markers. Next step - add a small SD card based recording media and I have an integrated dash-cam. Its very easy to determine the wires. I am still drawing blanks on getting a recorder which can loops once SD card's full, by default. There's enough space in there and I have a feeling the next gen Mazda's will have it in-built. There's some slot markers, etc. within the casing suggesting something like that.

I have already added into that module a GPS tracker with SIM card which when a SMS is received relays position back. The block has an 2.5 output/input and added a small speaker (outside casing) and microphone (inside casing). I now have a dedicated phone line for my car! This little beast can be solar charged. So - added 2 small solar panels on either side of the big casing powering the sucker inside. If only I could figure out the circuit to disable the car, remotely!!

Next next project is to add 3 electromagnetic strips inside the front bumper and link it to the SBS warning behind the emblem. That sensor kicks in when speed is less than XX I believe. Ideal for the sensors to kick in too, effectively have forward parking sensors. Can't use ultra-sonic as they'll screw up the other in-built sensors. Need 3 of these electromagnetic sensors to create a strong field. They are $13 @ eBay and adding them in serial will create a strong field. The single ones are too less sensitive to have any value.
If I am unable to attach to the sensor in front, I have a small Andruino board lying around, slap a potentiometer, some basic C and should be good to go too.

Last edited:

There also appear to be 3 sensors for the Homelink system. Having said that, the point still stands (that you omitted), the car will tell you when your windshield sensors are covered up with snow or ice.

There also appear to be 3 sensors for the Homelink system. Having said that, the point still stands (that you omitted), the car will tell you when your windshield sensors are covered up with snow or ice.
HomeLink system doesn't have sensors but a simple transmitter. And it's in the rearview mirror if it has that feature, not located behind the windshield with 2 sensors and/or camera I mentioned above.

HomeLink system doesn't have sensors but a simple transmitter. And it's in the rearview mirror if it has that feature, not located behind the windshield with 2 sensors and/or camera I mentioned above.

Interesting. I had assumed the close cluster of 3 was Homelink related since I don't have the iActiveSense package.

Back