Question RE: Paint

nubbers

:
2016 CX-5 GT Sonic Silver
MikeM posted this thread last year re: CX-5 paint quality (http://bit.ly/1Sn3Mw6) and it seems that there is mixed opinion as to the durability of Mazda paint (my eyes are just about crossed having read through so many posts). I own a 2016 GT Sonic Silver and aside from some barely noticeable surface scratches, I don't have many complaints about the paint. That said, now that warmer weather is here and road repair crews are on the loose, a rouge rock smacked my front right fender and left a small chip. (notcool)

I am (unfortunately) a perfectionist and my past paint chip repairs were always just so-so. Corrosion is my primary concern - two questions:
1) For those of you with Sonic Silver CX-5's, how has your paint held up?
2) I know about the touch-up systems like Dr. Colorchip, but I have only used OEM paint w/brush applicator. Can anyone tell me about their experience using the Mazda OEM paint pen? How easy is it to use?

There is a local detail shop I have used in the past - more of a seasonal wash/wax and they do touch-up. I'm thinking of just letting them do it after acquiring a few more blemishes.

As an aside, I found this on the Mazda site about their paint innovation (http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/other/paint_tech/).

Marty

I don't have the silver, have the gray, but I've found the Mazda touch up paint to be dead on. Just make sure the brush doesn't have too much on it when applying and the repair area is clean and rust free.

I don't have the silver, have the gray, but I've found the Mazda touch up paint to be dead on. Just make sure the brush doesn't have too much on it when applying and the repair area is clean and rust free.

Thanks, madar - the chip just happened yesterday, so no corrosion yet. Luckily winter has come to an end, but living in Upstate NY means plenty of salt. I'll definitely touch it up or have it addressed before fall.

Before my CX5 I had a 2014 Jet Black Mica 3 HB. The Mazda paint pen didn't even come close to the factory paint. It was more of a dark gray than anything resembling black.

I have a few nicks on the front bumper and hood of my Sonic Silver CX5, but I have yet to do anything about them.

Here is a really good video giving step by step instructions on how to deal with rock chips and small paint blemishes. It takes a long time to do it right and 95% of the work is in the prep and waiting for the touch up to dry. Many coats and light sanding, followed by buffing with compound and then polish.

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/how-to-fix-a-rock-chip/

I thought this is interesting, reminding us to pay attention to not only paint quality but also environmental impact:
http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/2016/201604/160414a.html

Mazda Begins Rollout of Aqua-tech, World's Lowest-impact Water-based Paint System, to Overseas Plants
- China's Changan Mazda Automobile Co., Ltd., is first to get the technology -

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation has announced the introduction of its unique Aqua-tech Paint System at Changan Mazda Automobile Co., Ltd. (CMA), the company's vehicle production facility in Jiangsu, China. The technology was first introduced at the Ujina Plant No. 1 in Japan, where installation of the system was completed in 2012. CMA becomes the company's second plant and first overseas facility to feature the innovative low-impact paint technology.

Reducing volatile organic compounds (VOC) emissions from vehicle body paint shops is a long-standing issue for the automobile industry, which has traditionally favored VOC-heavy oil-based paints and thinners. Automakers moved toward water-based paints in an effort to reduce VOC emissions, but the energy-intensive evaporative drying process required for these paints resulted in increased CO2 emissions. Mazda's unique Aqua-tech Paint System overcomes this trade-off by simultaneously reducing emissions of VOC and CO2, and makes far more efficient use of energy and paint materials than traditional paint systems.

Even after completing installation of the Aqua-tech Paint System at Ujina Plant No. 1 in 2012, Mazda continued to develop the technology to enhance system performance and usability. The company is aiming to achieve high-quality and efficient vehicle manufacturing at its global production bases by developing technologies such as Aqua-tech in Japan before rolling them out at overseas facilities. Mazda worked with CMA to efficiently introduce the Aqua-tech Paint System at Japanese standards, and minimized installation work and paint development in China. The transition was achieved quickly and without stopping the line or interrupting production of vehicles using traditional oil-based paints. The Aqua-tech Paint System at CMA is used for all body colors, and the quality of the finish is as high as that of vehicles painted in Japan, even for designer colors such as Soul Red.

"As an automaker, we have an obligation to not only make high-quality cars, but also reduce our impact on the environment," said Kiyotaka Shobuda, Senior Managing Executive Officer. "Our painting technologies, which have helped KODO design gain recognition worldwide, represent Mazda's efforts to meet that obligation. Moving forward, we'll continue to develop innovative technologies at our parent factories in Japan before introducing them at the same high standards overseas. In this way, we'll provide customers around the world with high-quality cars and contribute both to preserving the environment and enriching society."

Mazda will continue its efforts to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society through a variety of technological innovations. The company aims to enrich people's lives and become a brand that has a special bond with customers.

Click here for more information on Mazda's paint technology:
http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/other/paint_tech/

Totally anecdotal, but I have heard that the paint on Japanese-spec vehicles tends to be pretty weak - they were early adopters of water based paint. Though I imagine most manufacturers are using water based now for environmental reasons.

I have a 16.5 Red CX-5, and it has a chip on the passenger side rear door already. It has 1400 miles on it, and it's a little over 2 months old. I bought the vehicle with chips on the tail gate not knowing it until the second day. This paint is extremely cheap, and the vehicle has been cleaned 4 times by hand. It is blocked with our other cars, and I never park near anyone. At work, it is parked between two cars that doesn't move. I recently sold the Spec V to my brother in law. I'm going to send Mazda an email on it, but I bet it gets me no where. I just had a claim with them because it had a rotor replaced at 600 miles because it was warped. The dealer machined it, but I felt it was unacceptable on a new vehicle. They replaced it. This is car number 5 for me, and it has been the worst so far. If something else pops up in the next year, I'm going to sell it. I love everything else about it, but I feel like I got a bad seed. I've never had these problems with my other cars. I loved my Protege, and I thought to give Mazda another try. The paint on my 02 Protege ES was a lot better quality than the CX5. It looks pretty, but it's falling apart in month 2?

Follow-up to my own thread and further commentary on the paint quality. After coaching my son's baseball team yesterday afternoon I went to put the equipment bag in the car. I bumped the bag against the plastic bumper and it removed a small spot of paint down to the black (approx. 1/4 in.). Needless to say I am very surprised and disappointed w/the thin paint. On the plus side, I had planned to hand wash the car anyway and I was able to apply a bit of touch-up. The Mazda paint pen worked very well and the spot is now hard to see (using the five foot rule).

Washed my car two weeks ago and already saw some rock chips on the hood. Is it because it's thin? Not sure, but i know someone with a paint thickness gauge and will ask him to borrow it the next time I see him.

The paint is thinner and weaker than that of cars of yesteryear. The reason is shown above. Manufacturers are moving away from VOC paints. The VOC paints were stronger and thicker and lasted longer. These new non-VOC paints are thinner and chip easily.

That's the reality of the world we now live in. The car paint of yesteryear was better, thicker, stronger and didn't chip as easily. No longer. All one can do is use a film protector on the front hood and bumper and get a touch-up pen.

The paint is thinner and weaker than that of cars of yesteryear. The reason is shown above. Manufacturers are moving away from VOC paints. The VOC paints were stronger and thicker and lasted longer. These new non-VOC paints are thinner and chip easily.

That's the reality of the world we now live in. The car paint of yesteryear was better, thicker, stronger and didn't chip as easily. No longer. All one can do is use a film protector on the front hood and bumper and get a touch-up pen.

This is unfortunately the sad truth. I'm simply not interested in spending more $$$ for film. Perhaps a bumper guard is in the future. In the meantime, I'm armed with my mighty touch-up pen.

I have the Sonic Silver. Unfortunately, the low-VOC eco-friendly paints are fragile as Lbear and others described. My babied '16 CX-5 actually has more chips than my well-worn '06 Escape.

I have the Sonic Silver. Unfortunately, the low-VOC eco-friendly paints are fragile as Lbear and others described. My babied '16 CX-5 actually has more chips than my well-worn '06 Escape.

Same here. Got Sonic Silver and find the the paint chips easily when compared to the old Honda that I had. :-(

Back