Clutch and slave cylinder problems - standard, I think?

begwi

:
2013 Mazda 5
Thanks for reading this and thanks more if you offer advice. I have a 2013 Euro Gen II Mazda diesel with a 6 speed manual - oh, and only 60,000 kms (35,000 miles)! I did see some other threads on this issue, but mostly under the Mazda 3.

Does the Gen II Mazda 5 have the same "faulty slave cylinder causes clutch to fail early" problem that I see all over the internet associated with the Gen II Mazda3?

Background: My clutch is sometimes difficult to shift and I think it is just the slave cylinder. Occasionally, the clutch seems very soft and I have trouble shifting; when that happens the gear also engages way early on release. Sometimes during those problems, the clutch sticks to the floor, or halfway up. Other times, the car drives completely normally. There is never any indication of slippage during acceleration. I would imagine that to be a leaking slave cylinder.

Well, I limped into Mazda in Prague and they looked under the hood for 5 minutes and told me I need a new clutch. I limped it back home 1000+ kms and a local shop took a closer look. My French isn't perfect, but he is saying a need a new clutch kit and a new slave cylinder, although he didn't find the leak in the slave cylinder that I told him to expect.

I could take it to Mazda here, but they are a PITA. They don't have loaners, won't give you a ride, won't take appointments, and are in the middle of nowhere (basically I am stuck there for hours waiting on them to diagnose my car). Is there any benefit to taking it to Mazda? Either way, I assume none of this (slave cylinder or clutch) is covered by my warranty. I just don't know if the aftermarket (Bosch and Luk?) parts I would get from the local mechanic are better/worse than the parts I would get from Mazda. Has Mazda redesigned those parts due to the Mazda 3 known problems? BTW, the local mechanic wants 1060 euros - not bad I think. His shop is clean an I can walk there from my house.

Thanks again for reading.

Last edited:
Do you know where the clutch slave is located? It is mounted on the engine block, right next to the motor oil filter. Peel the rubber boot back and see if there are any fluid under it: Yes = plunger seal is worn/leaking and needs replacement, No= it’s good.
This car (Ford’s genius /s) uses a shared clutch/brake fluid system meaning worn brake fluid directly affect your clutch function (worn fluid and/or air). Considering the age of your car, I would flush all of your brake fluid, then bleed the whole system (all calipers farthest from the reservoir + the clutch slave last). In my previous Sport MT, this did wonders to my clutch function and feel.

I am against rebuilding the slave b/c you need tools (hone) and skill eye to clean it properly or it will not function the same. A new slave cylinder is not that expensive and easy job to replace, just don’t buy the cheapest one you can find. Any reputable reman. unit will work fine and you do not need to take it to Mazda – assuming this is the problem.

Edit:
Also, I highly recommend changing your MTF and ues the Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS fluid. Runs about $15-20 (yike!) a bottle but it is GREAT gear oil for this tranny and you only need 3.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809183-Finally-got-to-replacing-my-MTX-fluid

Last edited:
Well - something is definitely leaking. There is evidence of fluid all over the top and the front of the transmission. I can't pinpoint it to anything in particular. Of note, I do have a different set up because mine is a diesel. My oil filter is way over on the passenger side, forward of the front wheel. Is that the slave cylinder on top of the transmission, forward of and below the battery box? Is it best to see/touch it from top or from underneath?

Ok. Well, Mazda local said that I need a new "Butee Hydraulique recepteur." I'm not sure what that translates to, but they said it is inside the transmission case, thereby significantly increasing the cost of the repair. I think it is the part I have circled in red in the attached photo. Can someone tell me what that is? There is definitely evidence of leakage coming from that device. It looks like it has a brake line going to it.
14wpy80.jpg
[/IMG]

It would translate to the slave clutch cylinder. (Thanks google, I hope you are right :) )
If that is the case, you would basically need to replace it and your initial suspicion is correct.
With such a low millage I'd contact Mazda to make sure it is either covered by the warranty or assist in covering the cost of the repair.

Follow up:
Finally. Local Mazda concluded that my warranty expired about 1 week before the trouble started, but because my car had so few miles on it they would communicate with Mazda corporate and see what could be done. They received word back that Mazda corporate would have to see photos of the defective part (once removed from the car) to determine if they were going to cover any of the repair cost. Therefore they couldn't tell me how much it would cost. I committed anyway. The slave cylinder is mounted internally to the transmission case, making its replacement quite expensive. In the end Mazda paid 100% for the actual part and 50% for the labor. I ended up with a bill of about 260 euros. Not bad I guess...but I still wish the part was better quality in the first place.

Back