AWD vs FWD for "enthusiast" driving

Why buy a CX-5, if not for the performance? It's behind every other vehicle in its class in most meaningful ways, aside from that.

Really? You must have missed this :
The new CX-5 isnt the quickest CUV in the segment, but it has the poise and agility of a sports sedan.
Mazdas ethos is to blend its sports-car know-how into every model, and the CX-5 is no exceptionsharp steering and a poised chassis make it the enthusiasts pick.
The smart cabin, easy-to-use touchscreen infotainment and optional safety techadaptive cruise, autonomous emergency braking and moreunderscore the CX-5s standing as a great all-rounder

http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

#1 in the C & D SUV Comparo!

Really? You must have missed this :
The new CX-5 isnt the quickest CUV in the segment, but it has the poise and agility of a sports sedan.
Mazdas ethos is to blend its sports-car know-how into every model, and the CX-5 is no exceptionsharp steering and a poised chassis make it the enthusiasts pick.
The smart cabin, easy-to-use touchscreen infotainment and optional safety techadaptive cruise, autonomous emergency braking and moreunderscore the CX-5s standing as a great all-rounder

http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

#1 in the C & D SUV Comparo!

That's great. It still doesn't have the luxuries and ride comfort of other CUV's. Most of what it has going for it is performance and aesthetics (which are subjective). This is why it wins driving comparisons and loses most other comparos.

"touchscreen infotainment, adaptive cruise, and auto-braking" are all FAR from class-leading exclusives, lol

Here is a review which underscores what I mean, vs the Tuscan: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Tucson_vs_Mazda_CX-5/
Trumped the CX-5 because it was quiet, had more tech, etc.

The CX-5 is more athletic, but falls on its face in the technology/features v. cost department when compared to many of its rivals.

*Car & Driver: And for 2016, the plain-yet-pleasant cabin gets upgraded interior materials and design features that wouldn’t look out of place in an Audi.

Interesting to see the performance capabilities of the CX-5 AWD. It sort of makes up for not having a V6. That said the FWD 2.0 CX-5 is an excellent handling car in its own right. Very light handling considering its height.

Being a San Diego native I worked in Anchorage AK soon after high school for quick money. There is when I first learned how to drive. 1990 Mazda Protege 5speed manual FWD. In the snow. I learned not just how to drive stick but how to modulate handling as to not get stuck in a ditch. I learned how to use the E-brake in the snow. I learned how to drive on ice with studded tires. I never driven an AWD vehicle before although tons of Subarus, Suburbans, Tahoes, ect drivers would get stuck. That's when I learned that driver skill AND proper tires were important. When I got back to San Diego best believe my driving skills and defensive awareness were sharp on dry clean socal roads. I could only imagine the dry traction an AWD system would provide.

That's great. It still doesn't have the luxuries and ride comfort of other CUV's. Most of what it has going for it is performance and aesthetics (which are subjective). This is why it wins driving comparisons and loses most other comparos.

"touchscreen infotainment, adaptive cruise, and auto-braking" are all FAR from class-leading exclusives, lol

Here is a review which underscores what I mean, vs the Tuscan: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Tucson_vs_Mazda_CX-5/
Trumped the CX-5 because it was quiet, had more tech, etc.

The CX-5 is more athletic, but falls on its face in the technology/features v. cost department when compared to many of its rivals.

The first and most important thing a vehicle needs to be successful at is driving. Hyundai vehicles fall flat on their face when it comes to that. I've driven several new Hyundais. I know. Mazda, the cx5, absolutely excel at that. So yeah, Hyundai can invest into all that tech. Clearly they don't spend money in the driving dynamics department At the end of the day, their cars drive like absolute trash. No thank you.

The first and most important thing a vehicle needs to be successful at is driving. Hyundai vehicles fall flat on their face when it comes to that. I've driven several new Hyundais. I know. Mazda, the cx5, absolutely excel at that. So yeah, Hyundai can invest into all that tech. Clearly they don't spend money in the driving dynamics department At the end of the day, their cars drive like absolute trash. No thank you.

I had heard the same about their gen coupe, and got a 370Z instead. Sadly, it was lacking, as well. The CX5 does handle and have great manners for what it is. That is its forte.

I had heard the same about their gen coupe, and got a 370Z instead. Sadly, it was lacking, as well. The CX5 does handle and have great manners for what it is. That is its forte.

Thats why I got rid of my elantra. Just absolutely terrible driving vehicle. Nice car for your everyday person but if you care even just an ounce about the driving experience, stay away from Hyundai. I do complement Hyundai for their advancement in car technology. Would love to start my car with my Android smart watch. And they're on top of Android auto. Damn you Mazda.

Thats why I got rid of my elantra. Just absolutely terrible driving vehicle. Nice car for your everyday person but if you care even just an ounce about the driving experience, stay away from Hyundai. I do complement Hyundai for their advancement in car technology. Would love to start my car with my Android smart watch. And they're on top of Android auto. Damn you Mazda.

Sooner or later Hyundai will figure out driving dynamics like GM and Ford figured out suspensions and interiors.

Back