AWD vs FWD for "enthusiast" driving

Why buy a CX-5, if not for the performance? It's behind every other vehicle in its class in most meaningful ways, aside from that.

Well stated. There are many CUVs out there but Mazda is the fastest and most fun to drive CUV of the bunch. This has been verified by data tests and numerous car reviews.

Mazda CX5 AWD - 1/4 mile =15.8 // 0-60mph= 7.6 // 70mph-0mph = 166 feet // 0.81g
Honda CRV AWD - 1/4 mile =16.6 // 0-60mph= 8.2 // 70mph-0mph = 171 feet // 0.76g
Ford Escape AWD - 1/4 mile =16.9 // 0-60mph = 9.1 // 70mph-0mph = 174 feet // 0.81g
Chevy Trax AWD - 1/4 mile =17.5 // 0-60mph = 9.8 // 70mph-0mph = 169 feet // 0.72g
Kia Sportage AWD - 1/4 mile =17.3 // 0-60mph = 9.3 // 70mph-0mph = 179 feet // 0.79g
Subaru Forester AWD - 1/4 mile =16.7 // 0-60mph = 8.6 // 70mph-0mph = 166 feet // 0.78g

If one doesn't like a CUV that is fun to drive, might as well buy a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav4. There are plenty of CUV choices out there. They all pretty much get the same MPG and offer the same interior space. Where Mazda shines is in the performance and the AWD performance

Last edited:
Yikes,

I leave for one day to pick up my new CX-5 and I've become a law breaking, reckless driver damned for being an "enthusiast". For those that make uninformed comments, let me say you can have plenty of fun without exceeding speed limits. That's one of the strengths of the Mazda roadster. The best way to describe it is that I use my brakes less than others. Whether dry or wet, the AWD is simply more "sure-footed". There are several advantages I have discovered through research and test drives. I would not want AWD in my MX-5 for reasons I won't go into here, but for a daily driver it's a welcome addition. Worth every penny... to me.

BTW, it sure looks good parked next to the MX-5 and that has nothing to do with FWD vs AWD. Well done Mazda!

"Why buy a CX-5, if not for the performance? It's behind every other vehicle in its class in most meaningful ways, aside from that." - Unobtanium

"If one doesn't like a CUV that is fun to drive, might as well buy a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav4. There are plenty of CUV choices out there. They all pretty much get the same MPG and offer the same interior space. Where Mazda shines is in the performance and the AWD performance." - Lbear

Could not have said it better myself. Actually most competitors offer a bit MORE cargo space. NONE offer the same driving experience. It's all about priorities.

Well stated. There are many CUVs out there but Mazda is the fastest and most fun to drive CUV of the bunch. This has been verified by data tests and numerous car reviews.

Mazda CX5 AWD - 1/4 mile =15.8 // 0-60mph= 7.6 // 70mph-0mph = 166 feet // 0.81g
Honda CRV AWD - 1/4 mile =16.6 // 0-60mph= 8.2 // 70mph-0mph = 171 feet // 0.76g
Ford Escape AWD - 1/4 mile =16.9 // 0-60mph = 9.1 // 70mph-0mph = 174 feet // 0.81g
Chevy Trax AWD - 1/4 mile =17.5 // 0-60mph = 9.8 // 70mph-0mph = 169 feet // 0.72g
Kia Sportage AWD - 1/4 mile =17.3 // 0-60mph = 9.3 // 70mph-0mph = 179 feet // 0.79g
Subaru Forester AWD - 1/4 mile =16.7 // 0-60mph = 8.6 // 70mph-0mph = 166 feet // 0.78g

If one doesn't like a CUV that is fun to drive, might as well buy a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav4. There are plenty of CUV choices out there. They all pretty much get the same MPG and offer the same interior space. Where Mazda shines is in the performance and the AWD performance

Exactly. If the performance is a non-issue, many other CUV's offer a lot nicer ride.

Extra $20 (fluid drain/fill-front and rear) for the DIYer every 25-30K miles. :)

Rear-diff replacement is about $2800 from your local Mazda dealer, just FYI. Nothing is perfect, and it can flood VERY EASILY. I do not recommend crossing even very shallow water in the CX-5. Ask me how I know,lol! (Mazda had my back with the warranty, but still...it's a very poor design with no breather tube, just a "hat" over a protruding breather on the top of the diff.)

Increased traction at all times.

Never having the traction control kick in and drop your revs like the FWD would.

Better handling performance, car is more neutral handling, much less understeer.

Downsides of AWD :

Increased curb weight

Increased tire wear

Increased fuel consumption

Increased maintenance costs

This is what I tell everyone to think about. I wanted an AWD sport, but I got to thinking about actually using AWD. I would probably never have use for it in Georgia(tires are a huge factor with traction that people tend to ignore with rain, snow, and terrain in general). There is a difference with this vehicle in sport mode between AWD and FWD, but everyday driving and uses without snow and offroad isn't much. Everyday cost is more with AWD, such as you have to make sure you rotate your tires often(I service my vehicles pretty well, so this wasn't a problem for me), or you will have uneven wear and way shorter tire life. Also, the maintenance cost is more, so I opted for the 2.5 FWD. This vehicle handles really well for what it is, but it's really not meant for anything crazy, such as going around town driving each turn as if its like a miata, 2, or 3. I don't have any regrets in not getting AWD over FWD.

The performance is definitely on top all around. I work for a fleet transport company, and I have access to all of these and Jeep Cherokee/Compass/Renegade/Patriot. I would put the Escape 2.0 behind it in performance(Escape is a pig though, and I would say think of mustang/camaro vs challenger. Escapes and Jeeps, or Fords and Chryslers in general, are built extremely poor and have a recall every quarter. If you need a lot of space, buy an Outback, Rav4, or CRV because I would say they are for everyday people(none of these are fun the drive to me, for they drive more like trucks than cars). The CX5 is on par with them, but it is different. It has less interior space, but it utilizes it's space better. Roof is high, so taller passengers or drivers don't feel cramp(can stand a large vacuum upwards without tilting behind front seats). The transmission has a sporty feel and shifts smoothly, and the manual and sport mode works really well. The only thing I don't like about the CX5 is the brakes. Maybe it's because I'm not use to daily driving a CUV and mine aren't broken in yet, but they sometimes don't feel right. I'll lightly brake, and I'm always braking more than I want to.

Last edited:
Wow, I've never seen a topic beaten to death so much. It's not a rally car, it's a everyday drivers car. It's not made to go off road, "much" and the FWD will handle any snow with the correct tires almost as good as the AWD. One last thing, it's not a sports car and will never handle like one.

I did get a AWD GT, only because I got a fantastic deal and would have spent just as much on a FWD model with less option. Different people need different options. For an everyday driver with snow only a handfull of times like here in western PA, FWD would do just fine. As for jumping on a FWD and getting wheel spin get some good tires.

I remember people on the Scion boards always b*t*hing about the tC poor traction, it wasn't the car it was the tires. My tC would eat up the snow, never leaving me stuck.

When I went from factory tires to Conti's on my Scion Tc, it made a world of difference in fast starts and wet traction. Not saying FWD will go everywhere a AWD will go, but on this type of cuv, it' will serve you well.

Most people will not notice the handling difference on this type of vehicle.

Last edited:
Wow, I've never seen a topic beaten to death so much. It's not a rally car, it's a everyday drivers car. It's not made to go off road, "much" and the FWD will handle any snow with the correct tires almost as good as the AWD. One last thing, it's not a sports car and will never handle like one.

I did get a AWD GT, only because I got a fantastic deal and would have spent just as much on a FWD model with less option. Different people need different options. For an everyday driver with snow only a handfull of times like here in western PA, FWD would do just fine. As for jumping on a FWD and getting wheel spin get some good tires.

I remember people on the Scion boards always b*t*hing about the tC poor traction, it wasn't the car it was the tires. My tC would eat up the snow, never leaving me stuck.

When I went from factory tires to Conti's on my Scion Tc, it made a world of difference in fast starts and wet traction. Not saying FWD will go everywhere a AWD will go, but on this type of cuv, it' will serve you well.

I disagree. I got AWD specifically because I have experienced how awesome AWD is on snow, when FWD vehicles are sliding all over the place on the streets. Like you said, when it only snows 2-10 days out of the year, and only some years, snow tires are an iffy thing...will you have them on the car during the 2-day span over 4 months that it snows? Anyone's guess...

Wow, I've never seen a topic beaten to death so much. It's not a rally car, it's a everyday drivers car. One last thing, it's not a sports car and will never handle like one.

Never said it was. If you read my original posts, I already have a sports car. It doesn't have much of a trunk, has summer performance tires and a suspension that is more than a bit stiff. That doesn't mean the practical daily driver I want has to be ugly and boring (like most vehicles in this segment). The CX-5 is definitely not ugly and quite fun when driven with a bit of enthusiasm. BTW, enthusiasm isn't racing but it can get the heart pumpin' from time to time. If you don't know what I am talking about, all of this discussion is moot. That the AWD makes it a bit more so and add a touch of safety in not only snow, but rain, is a bonus. As far as tires and maintenance cost, that's all part of it game. Slightly more to operate than FWD? So what? It's a price I am willing to pay. I don't track my gas mileage either. Life is short.

Last edited:

You complain about this post and think it's over done, yet you contribute just as we all have. Your logic makes no sense.

Fact is, awd will always provide extra traction and safety in a variety of scenarios. How much of a difference it truly makes, I don't know. But I've experienced the difference. It's worth it, to me. Awd isn't just for snow. And quite frankly, if awd didn't make a big difference, I doubt Mazda would of invested so much into the design of their iactive awd system which is unlike no other. As far as I know. So it makes more of a difference than you realize. Especially Mazdas system. Especially since Mazda is fueled by driving and the passion of driving. It's all connected. So yes, its not a sport car , but for a cuv, its not far off. Maybe you need to have some more fun and let loose a little when driving.

It's not that brakes are bad or anything it's that we all just get a little annoyed when we have to slow down from zoom zoom. Stupid brakes...
It's by no means a deal breaker for me, but I do think the brakes are a bit soft and vague. They don't instill confidence like the suspension does. As for acceleration and speed, it's plenty for my purposes. Not a track burner, but I have to admit the sport mode shifting is kinda fun. Not all the time, but every once in a while ya just gotta get more connected to your driving.

You complain about this post and think it's over done, yet you contribute just as we all have. Your logic makes no sense.

Fact is, awd will always provide extra traction and safety in a variety of scenarios. How much of a difference it truly makes, I don't know. But I've experienced the difference. It's worth it, to me. Awd isn't just for snow. And quite frankly, if awd didn't make a big difference, I doubt Mazda would of invested so much into the design of their iactive awd system which is unlike no other. As far as I know. So it makes more of a difference than you realize. Especially Mazdas system. Especially since Mazda is fueled by driving and the passion of driving. It's all connected. So yes, its not a sport car , but for a cuv, its not far off. Maybe you need to have some more fun and let loose a little when driving.

I'm not complaining at all, just pointing out a fact that most people with this type of car will not notice the difference in handling in the awd vs fwd versions. I love my awd and I agree for a small cross over it handles quit well. I'm enjoying it very well and think I made the best choice out there.

jjp

Never said it was. If you read my original posts, I already have a sports car. It doesn't have much of a trunk, has summer performance tires and a suspension that is more than a bit stiff. That doesn't mean the practical daily driver I want has to be ugly and boring (like most vehicles in this segment). The CX-5 is definitely not ugly and quite fun when driven with a bit of enthusiasm. BTW, enthusiasm isn't racing but it can get the heart pumpin' from time to time. If you don't know what I am talking about, all of this discussion is moot. That the AWD makes it a bit more so and add a touch of safety in not only snow, but rain, is a bonus. As far as tires and maintenance cost, that's all part of it game. Slightly more to operate than FWD? So what? It's a price I am willing to pay. I don't track my gas mileage either. Life is short.

I know what enthusiasm is, but the CX5 isn't going to give me that. Yes, it's nice to drive, but if I want to have some fun I'll take my 545i for spin. I also have to agree the CX-5 is probably the best looking ones out there.

I know what enthusiasm is, but the CX5 isn't going to give me that. Yes, it's nice to drive, but if I want to have some fun I'll take my 545i for spin. I also have to agree the CX-5 is probably the best looking ones out there.

A 545i? For fun? You really need to get you an actual sports car. C6 or C7 corvette is an excellent performer at a very entry level price.

I'm not complaining at all, just pointing out a fact that most people with this type of car will not notice the difference in handling in the awd vs fwd versions. I love my awd and I agree for a small cross over it handles quit well. I'm enjoying it very well and think I made the best choice out there.

jjp

Most, maybe, but I notice it a ton. Huge difference. Not just when I'm acting a fool, either, but in daily driving with bad traffic and gravel on the roads. They use some very coarse "sand" where I live when it gets cold, and it collects in the dips near lights/stop signs, and it can mess up your FWD "get into traffic" plans like a mother!

I'm not complaining at all, just pointing out a fact that most people with this type of car will not notice the difference in handling in the awd vs fwd versions.

Most, maybe, but I notice it a ton. Huge difference.
+1

Took two friends out on the FWD test drive and then the AWD. One a serious sports car owner, the other a friend's wife who isn't that into cars and they both noticed a difference. A 2014 FWD owner at the dealership when I picked up mine said he wished he would have gotten AWD.

The difference is not that subtle. For me, it was huge as well. No comparison really.

Back