AWD vs FWD for "enthusiast" driving

Mike Romayo

:
MX-5 GT and CX-5 GS
I think I know the answer, but am looking for additional input. I understand the mechanics of AWD and have read several posts online about AWD in snow, etc. In my particular case I live in a no-snow climate, but it does rain. What I am more interested in is "enthusiast" driving. I have a 2016.5 AWD on hold at the Port. My salesman also has a FWD "hidden away". I was able to drive the FWD yesterday and it was fun. Much more than I expected. No AWD to try at the dealership. I do have a highly modified MX-5 which is my serious fun car. I am looking for a daily driver to go with it. I am told the AWD feels more "planted". Here on the island, many more 2WDs are sold. Is there 2000 bucks worth of added fun when driving the AWD "enthusiastically"? Any hesitation from anyone regarding additional weight, maintenance, tire wear with AWD?

FWD will have a bit more in terms of acceleration. AWD *might* help a bit in tight cornering. So both have advantages in terms of "enthusiast" driving. It depends on what is more important to you. With the additional MPG hit, and possible additional maintenance down the road, I'd go with FWD in your case. But that's just me!

Don't get me wrong, I love my AWD, but I see snow 6 months out of the year!

Yes it is worth it, if you actually utilize it. It's not an performance geared system like you get on the speed6 or a wrx but, you can maximize it use when you most want it; high speed power on cornering (large highway curve etc), power off sharp cornering (downshift to keep rpms high). Of course wet starts. The thing about this awd system is under non abnormal conditions you have to downshift to get the most from it. It works better at mid to high engine rpms. You can feel this by hitting the same curve at say 75 in 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th. Some of it is just more grip from downshifting but some is the rear engaging. In fact when you upshift on a large highspeed curve you can feel the steerimg become less precise and the car want to wander more throughout the turn. Also if you add modifiy and increase the cornering performance of the suspension, you have the benefit of better being able to maintain grip. Its harder for your suspension to outperform your grip with AWD. When you are really trying to get max performance out of the motor/suspension you will inevitably end up in manual shift mode. "D" simply doesn't cut it, and defintely doesnt downshift to increase grip during a sharp corner.

Remeber the awd works best when power is available to transfer, downshifting gives that power

I agree with the article. Unless you're really high on the enthusiast scale (like Chris!) I doubt you'll get much out of it in a warm climate.

I do find that it helps in corners a bit on snow, because it balances under and over steer. But it's marginal. On dry and wet roads I only notice a difference when I gun it from a stop. But then again I don't drive like Chris!

I think I know the answer, but am looking for additional input. I understand the mechanics of AWD and have read several posts online about AWD in snow, etc. In my particular case I live in a no-snow climate, but it does rain. What I am more interested in is "enthusiast" driving. I have a 2016.5 AWD on hold at the Port. My salesman also has a FWD "hidden away". I was able to drive the FWD yesterday and it was fun. Much more than I expected. No AWD to try at the dealership. I do have a highly modified MX-5 which is my serious fun car. I am looking for a daily driver to go with it. I am told the AWD feels more "planted". Here on the island, many more 2WDs are sold. Is there 2000 bucks worth of added fun when driving the AWD "enthusiastically"? Any hesitation from anyone regarding additional weight, maintenance, tire wear with AWD?

My CX5 performs much better in AWD. In FWD, it had traction issues in rain, on less than clean streets, etc.

What trim (GX, GS, GT) are you looking at? My definition of enthusiast driving includes a manual transmission. If this applies to you as well, then you're limited to the FWD. Unfortunately the manual is only available on the GX trim with the 2.0L.

When I drive my wife's GT AWD 2.5, it feels so much heavier despite the added horsepower compared to my FWD 2.0. FWD is much more nimble. My FWD 2.0 stops better too thanks to fewer parts in the drivetrain.

Interesting article. In answer to several questions posted... I am a fairly serious driver. Been tracking cars since I was in my twenties. Still occasionally track the MX-5. A medical situation is forcing me to change my daily driver, also a manual, to an automatic. I am one of those that looks for the longer, less direct route so I can hit some twisties. I tend to push my cars. Thing is, I never expected the CX-5 to be this fun. My friend laughed during the first hour of the test drive when I had the car in "D" and kept reaching down to do something. The second hour was spent shifting in sport mode. It's not a manual on the track, but it's more fun for me than snoozing in Drive.

I am looking at a GS here in Canada. Middle of the pack 2.5 litre with Auto. Basically a GT without all the tech, leather and Bose. I think it's the Touring in the US.

The internet is full of contradictions about the AWD in the dry. Most info posted is about snow. My queries are about things like always starting from a stop in AWD and aggressive cornering being aiding by AWD, not hindered. I am willing to spend extra for a car that is more driver oriented with AWD, but I don't want to toss a couple of grand out the window if it's not really helping things. My friends are split 50/50 between AWD and FWD. Local dealer says they are selling more FWD here on the island.

I should add that I have never owned a FWD vehicle, thus all the questions.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

When I drive my wife's GT AWD 2.5, it feels so much heavier despite the added horsepower compared to my FWD 2.0. FWD is much more nimble. My FWD 2.0 stops better too thanks to fewer parts in the drivetrain.

"FWD is more nimble."

Ya see this is the sort of thing I am talking about. "Heavy feel". "More nimble". These are some of my concerns. I want the car to be tossable. Others have also brought up things like AWD is heavier, more complicated mechanism, harder on tires, etc. So much to think about. So little time. The AWD is coming over from the Port next week. I have the option to grab the colour I want in either version. They have a couple of FWD already here but this is the only AWD in my colour they are getting for the foreseeable future.

Either way, I am REALLY looking forward to this new ride.

Last edited:
AWD in the rain is really nice. I love being able to stomp on the gas pedal and the cx5 just connects. Without any hesitation. I do it probably more than I should because it really is very impressive how well it works. I push my cx5 a decent amount, in fact I know it can go more probably. I know I push it harder though knowing I have the extra safety of awd. I don't care what any article says, awd definitely adds a safety factor. Now, it is very well possible that most of us won't push the cx5 hard enough to actually put the awd to use, but I'd rather have it than not. I haven't driven the fwd version of the cx5 so I can't comment on speed and quickness, but I'd imagine the difference is very very small.

If I didn't need awd, I would be looking at the mazda 6 or something. I absolutely love my cx5 but I have it because awd. If you need storage space, that's a good reason too. But as you said, no matter what you choose, you're going to absolutely love it. This car is a blast to drive. I suggest driving awd and fwd back to back and see if you notice any difference. Also remember, that the cx5's awd system is a really advanced system. More so than the average awd system now a days. The predictability aspect is amazing and that is something to keep in mind. Besides luxury brands, the cx5s predictive iactiv awd system is probably the most advanced system on the market right now.

Thanks for the input. The FWD yesterday felt nimble and fairly sure footed. Such a different feel from all the RWD and RWD 4x4s I've had. I am a repeat customer at the dealership and my sales rep is a good guy. The AWD is written up subject to a side-by-side test drive with the FWD. I am leaning towards the AWD, but keeping an open mind. It's interesting to see everyone's impressions. When dropping this sort of coin, it's good to make an "informed" decision.

By the end of next week I should have two "fives". CX and MX. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I drive both on a regular basis. FWD definitely handles better, feels lighter around corners. Also, less parts means less problems down the line depending on how long you keep your vehicle. Worried about wet weather launches? Then go easier on the gas pedal.

Having driven our CX-5 many times, I can tell you it is not bad at spirited city driving...however I would never call it an enthusiast vehicle.

Just not designed for that.

You drive a fwd CX-5 and a AWD CX-5 on a regular basis ?. If no not a valid comparison

That's what I said. My stepdaughter has an AWD and I have a FWD, she likes to drive mine a lot because she likes the color so we trade quite a bit. She lives 10 miles away and I usually have to drive to her house to get mine back.

Last edited:
You drive a fwd CX-5 and a AWD CX-5 on a regular basis ?. If no not a valid comparison

I have driven my CX-5 in AWD, and in FWD, and it FWD, it wasn't NEARLY as sure-footed accelerating on less than perfect and warm pavement.. Unless you have de-activated AWD on your CX-5, and driven the SAME EXACT VEHICLE with and without the AWD...you don't have a valid comparison of the differences it makes in traction :p

I have driven my CX-5 in AWD, and in FWD, and it FWD, it wasn't NEARLY as sure-footed accelerating on less than perfect and warm pavement.. Unless you have de-activated AWD on your CX-5, and driven the SAME EXACT VEHICLE with and without the AWD...you don't have a valid comparison of the differences it makes in traction :p

I wasn't citing traction, I was citing handling characteristics between hers and mine.

I wasn't citing traction, I was citing handling characteristics between hers and mine.

I consider traction part of handling when it involves accelerating out of a corner. The AWD kicks in and does amazing things for corner exit with the CX-5, in my experience. Also, amount of brake/throttle will shuffle weight bias effectively if done properly. See: Porsche 911, GT-R, and Viper.

Back