200 miles in a 2016 XC-90

If take the xc90 in a heartbeat over the cx5. It's a beautiful looking suv.

Obviously "beautiful" is subjective so there's no right or wrong here. I think the XC90 targets a different market, perhaps the rich and older (45+?) people as it looks more classic and formal, vs the sportiness and boldness of the CX-5 (which probably aims at energetic enthusiasts).

While the XC90 is way too big for what we need, a V60 Sportwagon or XC is an ideal configuration for us.
However, I would probably never get one because it is a Volvo: it is expensive and unreliable. Until recently, these were also fuel-inefficient. At least that's been corrected with their new engines.
Sitting in a few Volvos in the local auto show, I was not impressed with the infotainment, which was lagging behind that of the CX-5, despite the price gap.

I still maintain that the CX5 is cutesy and effeminate. "Sporty and bold" have never been anything I thought of when I look at mine. That said, it's not the horrible mini-minivan that is the CRV, at least!

I still maintain that the CX5 is cutesy and effeminate. "Sporty and bold" have never been anything I thought of when I look at mine. That said, it's not the horrible mini-minivan that is the CRV, at least!

Next time you buy a car, do the world a favor and do more than an hours worth of research lol. Then you'll have more of an understanding of the kind of car you're buying and you don't have to then bash all the things you failed to realize with your irresponsibility in lack of research.

Next time you buy a car, do the world a favor and do more than an hours worth of research lol. Then you'll have more of an understanding of the kind of car you're buying and you don't have to then bash all the things you failed to realize with your irresponsibility in lack of research.

Cutesy and effeminate isn't bad. It wouldn't dissuade me from owning it. It doesn't prevent it from having a GREAT! cD or being a great CUV. I don't have to identify with my vehicle like some people. I would have bought the 2.5L AWD CX-5 again, if I had it to do over again, too.

Curious how these models will age over time (not confident)... the T6 model with both turbo and supercharger..or the T8 which adds in some hybrid complexity.

T8 model is 400 hp and 472 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1603-2017-volvo-xc90-excellence-breaks-100000-barrier/
Traditionally I have heard good things about Volvo. An X gf of mine had one, like I said, and her dad was a mechanic. This guy was a legit Chip Foose of a mechanic, too. He could make anything (drove a Suburban with a lift, AWD, and Duramax and manual...), fix anything, and was just a savant with mechanical/automotive. Her and I had a TERRIBLE break-up (she dissolved someone elses' marriage while she was at it, wonderful Christmas morning...), and I STILL to this day list her dad as my #1 recommendation to people in that area who need a vehicle with a quirk fixed. He really liked Volvo, and that carries a ton of weight with me. She never had a moment's problem out of hers, either. I know those are samples of 1, but...personal experience trumps EVERYTHING in the car ownership world.

Unobtanium likes to stir the hornets nest. He use to get into it with MikeM (who has since been banned). Best not to let Unobtanium get under your skin. He loves to get people riled up.

The CX5 is not a high-end $60k sports CUV/SUV. It's not a BMW X3. It is a very nicely made and optioned compact CUV that has one of the best AWD systems on the market and for $30k it has features that many high-end $60k vehicles don't have (radar cruise, smart braking, etc).

I thought everything had radar cruise in the SUV world at $35K+?

I thought everything had radar cruise in the SUV world at $35K+?

I really don't think so. I see so many new luxury cars and I see no sensors anywhere. Hell I even saw this Mercedes , expensive as hell looking. The dang thing had halogen headlights! Not even projection. Insane .

I think I'll repost this here. It sucks, because IMO, the grand cherokee is the best looking mid sized SUV out there, and the SRT8 has a beast of an engine.

Last edited:
My parents happen to have both a Grand Cherokee and an XC 90 and both have their strengths and weaknesses. The XC 90 is a beautiful vehicle and great for everyday life but is a little boring to drive. The Grand Cherokee is great to drive when it isn't in the shop, which for this particular vehicle, is a lot. It is on its third block, second power steering pump and a host of other small things.

My parents happen to have both a Grand Cherokee and an XC 90 and both have their strengths and weaknesses. The XC 90 is a beautiful vehicle and great for everyday life but is a little boring to drive. The Grand Cherokee is great to drive when it isn't in the shop, which for this particular vehicle, is a lot. It is on its third block, second power steering pump and a host of other small things.

My 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee fit that description to a T! What year is your parent's? I loved my Jeep! But it was a sack of crap :(

My 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee fit that description to a T! What year is your parent's? I loved my Jeep! But it was a sack of crap :(

How are they so popular with all these issues? Definitely my favorite large suv around and I see them everywhere.

How are they so popular with all these issues? Definitely my favorite large suv around and I see them everywhere.

Because they are powerful, stylish, and have tons of tech. They are awesome suvs except as you note...they have a ton of issues. Go look at one. You will be blown away by the interior and features, and the hemi is stout.

There's is a 2013. It is one of the best looking I have seen and the ride is amazing but they overall have little faith in it and wouldn't recommend to anyone. I agree with them though that it is the best looking jeep in the lineup.

Because they are powerful, stylish, and have tons of tech. They are awesome suvs except as you note...they have a ton of issues. Go look at one. You will be blown away by the interior and features, and the hemi is stout.

Oh yeah their styling is top notch. By far my favorite .

The standard models are bland as hell, its only the XC90 R Dessign that looks good IMO.

And even then on the top-spec R Design, Radar Cruise Control is not even standard, it's an option!
Crazy. The Jeep Grand Cherokee had it standard in the upper trim as early as 2008, I believe. I guess my Jeep spoiled me. A lot of things like remote start, XM/Sirius, Touch-screen, live traffic, blah blah blah, etc. etc. I just took for granted on an SUV.

This is part of why the JGC is so popular, I think. It literally packs EVERYTHING you could imagine into a $45-60K package.

How does the Mazda CX5 react in these rollover (Moose) tests?

I don't know, but I strongly suspect that it passes them fine or we would have heard about it. The "Moose test" was a "big deal" on the Jeep forums from what I recall. I am pretty sure it's a non-issue and the vehicle passes, at this point, such a big deal was made of it even.

Back