So long CX5...

Car and Driver just reviewed the 2016 Colorado Trail Blazer Diesel. The same vehicle the OP purchased when he traded in his 2016 CX5. Here is the breakdown of their review:

Price tested = $42,100
0-60MPH = 9.2 seconds
1/4 mile = 16.9 @ 80mph
Skidpad = 0.73 g
70mph - 0mph = 183 - 192 feet
EPA = 20/29mpg
C/D Observed = 22mpg

+ = Increased towing capability, diesel fuel economy
- = A pricey option limited to upper trims, properly slow, gruff engine sounds

"With a few extras, the $42,105 as-tested price was about the same as that of a base V-8-powered Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4, which is quicker, more capable, and better to drive."

VS

The 2016 CX5 AWD =

Price Tested = $30k +/-
0-60MPH = 7.6 seconds
1/4 mile = 15.8
Skidpad = 0.81 g
70mph - 0mph = 166 feet
EPA = 25/30 mpg
C/D Observed = 28mpg

The AWD on the Mazda CX5 is light years above the 4x4 setup on the Colorado Trail Blazer. While the Colorado will do better on huge boulders in true off-roading (which only 5% of people ever do), the CX5 will run circles around the Colorado in rain and snow driving conditions.

The advantage the Colorado has is in towing, that's it, plain and simple. It's a tow vehicle. Other than that, the Colorado is slower, maneuvers worse, doesn't stop as fast (almost 30 feet more distance needed with the Colorado), burns more fuel, costs more, has worse AWD, less interior room and costs more to operate and upkeep vs the Mazda CX5.

Last edited:
Car and Driver just reviewed the 2016 Colorado Trail Blazer Diesel. The same vehicle the OP purchased when he traded in his 2016 CX5. Here is the breakdown of their review:

Price tested = $42,100
0-60MPH = 9.2 seconds
1/4 mile = 16.9 @ 80mph
Skidpad = 0.73 g
70mph - 0mph = 183 - 192 feet
EPA = 20/29mpg
C/D Observed = 22mpg

+ = Increased towing capability, diesel fuel economy
- = A pricey option limited to upper trims, properly slow, gruff engine sounds

"With a few extras, the $42,105 as-tested price was about the same as that of a base V-8-powered Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4, which is quicker, more capable, and better to drive."

VS

The 2016 CX5 AWD =

Price Tested = $30k +/-
0-60MPH = 7.6 seconds
1/4 mile = 15.8
Skidpad = 0.81 g
70mph - 0mph = 166 feet
EPA = 25/30 mpg
C/D Observed = 28mpg

The AWD on the Mazda CX5 is light years above the 4x4 setup on the Colorado Trail Blazer. While the Colorado will do better on huge boulders in true off-roading (which only 5% of people ever do), the CX5 will run circles around the Colorado in rain and snow driving conditions.

The advantage the Colorado has is in towing, that's it, plain and simple. It's a tow vehicle. Other than that, the Colorado is slower, maneuvers worse, doesn't stop as fast (almost 30 feet more distance needed with the Colorado), burns more fuel, costs more, has worse AWD, less interior room and costs more to operate and upkeep vs the Mazda CX5.
Seriously?! $42K!? That's absurd.

Seriously?! $42K!? That's absurd.

Yep, the diesel option is pricey. C&D recommended just with going with a full sized Silverado 1500 for that price.

With the OP trading out his CX5 for the Colorado, it had to be for tow purposes only, because otherwise it offers no other benefits. The CX5 beat out the Colorado in all areas except towing. Even so, for $42k the Silverado is a better capable, faster, better to drive, and gas powered truck.

The Colorado is trying a market area (small truck with diesel) that is unknown and with the VW debacle, GM is 2 years too late. GM began engineering the Colorado before the VW debacle, once it happened, it was too late for GM to cancel the design. So now GM is stuck with a $42k diesel truck that isn't full sized and performs worse than a $42k full-sized Silverado does.

I don't think sales of the diesel Colorado will do well. The gas powered version might do OK but not the diesel version.

Sorry dude but I'm very very happy with my Colorado vs a frickin Base Silverado that gets 15 mpg combined if I'm lucky.

If you read my post, yes, I purchased my Colorado diesel because my little CX5 could not safely tow our 2 four wheelers safely. What's your point? I for the life of me cant figure out what your obsession with this is?

If I want to go fast and hit the twisties... lets see, I have a Mustang GT, a Yamaha R1 and a Yamaha FZ1.

I'm averaging 23 mpg with my Colorado (towing included). See my Fuelly below of my CX5... a mere 3 mpg more... very poor if you ask me for a lighter, smaller and more capable vehicle as you say.

Last edited:
Anyone is going to be happier with their new car...IMO, I better be towing a nice ass boat or something to go from a nice vehicle like the cx5 to a Chevy Colorado.

Last edited:
Honestly who gives a s*** about the vw cabacle.. meanwhile diesels on large pickup trucks have different emissions standards and why ($$$$)? What does that emission issue have to do with the daily driver?

Last edited:
I do not understand LBear's obsession with this topic either. The Colorado is a damn fine truck, it isn't just the towing, the OP said the seats were more comfortable too, among other things.

Not surprising, my wife and I both agree that my '06 Escape's seats are more comfortable than my '16 CX-5.

I don't think sales of the diesel Colorado will do well. The gas powered version might do OK but not the diesel version.

It looks like the diesel version of the Colorado will at least outsell Mazda's failed diesel U.S.-market CX-5.

Last edited:
I do not understand LBear's obsession with this topic either. The Colorado is a damn fine truck, it isn't just the towing, the OP said the seats were more comfortable too, among other things.

Not surprising, my wife and I both agree that my '06 Escape's seats are more comfortable than my '16 CX-5.

It looks like the diesel version of the Colorado will at least outsell Mazda's failed diesel U.S.-market CX-5.

Well his points are valid. The cx5 wins on many important factors. Just not towing.

The Cruze will outsell the Mazda 3. What's your point? We know what the better car is an it certainly isn't a chevy.

Sorry dude but I'm very very happy with my Colorado vs a frickin Base Silverado that gets 15 mpg combined if I'm lucky.

If you read my post, yes, I purchased my Colorado diesel because my little CX5 could not safely tow our 2 four wheelers safely. What's your point? I for the life of me cant figure out what your obsession with this is?

This is a MAZDA forum and you sold your Mazda for a Colorado. So naturally the support for Mazda's will be evident. Just like if I was on a Chevy forum and sold my Chevy to buy a Mazda, I am sure the Chevy forum members would do the same to me.

The comparison I made is valid because all aspects of the vehicle were weighed. The CX5 beats the Colorado in all areas except towing, that's it. The CX5 is not a tow truck so that is not a surprise.

I thought you were gone from this forum since you no longer own the Mazda. It's just really strange. Why are you still here?

Last edited:
This is a MAZDA forum and you sold your Mazda for a Colorado. So naturally the support for Mazda's will be evident. Just like if I was on a Chevy forum and sold my Chevy to buy a Mazda, I am sure the Chevy forum members would do the same to me.

The comparison I made is valid because all aspects of the vehicle were weighed. The CX5 beats the Colorado in all areas except towing, that's it. The CX5 is not a tow truck so that is not a surprise.

I thought you were gone from this forum since you no longer own the Mazda. It's just really strange. Why are you still here?

No, I don't agree with a poorly executed comparison of a CUV vs a Pickup truck, considering the OP made a purchase based on his current wants/need. And I also don't agree that the same would happen on a Chevy forum. You look like a misguided fanboy really. Who compares a pickup truck and a small CUV for towing... Obviously the better towing performance, and carrying capacity in payload and physical room is a benefit for someone who wants to tow. Trying to compare the non locking CX-5 AWD to the locking 4x4 of the Colorado... two different AWD systems with different purpose and capability. It's a pickup truck; of course it will be less maneuverable of a smaller vehicle.

Too suggest that simply because he sold his CX-5 he should no longer post here is asinine. Especially when you have spechul people trying to argue the point that he somehow made a poor decision.

Well his points are valid. The cx5 wins on many important factors. Just not towing.

The Cruze will outsell the Mazda 3. What's your point? We know what the better car is an it certainly isn't a chevy.

His points are not "valid" because he is comparing two vehicles with a different set of capabilities and market. If anything his points are subjective and when objective, usually irrelevant because they aren't even the same class of vehicle. What does "important factors" actually mean? It's pretty vague, and again subjective. What's important to me is not necessarily important to the next guy.

A 4x4 truck is not in the same market category as a Mazda CX5. A CUV is a CUV and a truck is a truck. So it's not a fair comparison.

The main point is that comparing a Chevy truck to a Mazda CUV is not a fair comparison. A truck is a truck and a CUV is a CUV

Yet here you are comparing a CX-5 to a pickup truck. Hypocritical at the least. Your posts within the last 5 pages aren't even consistent.

Last edited:
No, I don't agree with a poorly executed comparison of a CUV vs a Pickup truck, considering the OP made a purchase based on his current wants/need. And I also don't agree that the same would happen on a Chevy forum.

Yet here you are comparing a CX-5 to a pickup truck. Hypocritical at the least. Your posts within the last 5 pages aren't even consistent.

Wrong again
. The OP compared the CX5 to the Colorado truck. The OP started the thread. The OP made numerous comparisons with the Colorado and the CX5.

I am simply just following through on what the OP stated. The OP made the comparison, I went along with it and used performance stats from each.

The only "hypocritical comparison" here is the OP who started the thread and made the comparison of the CX5 vs Colorado.

He bought a 2016 CX5 and returned it shortly thereafter because it couldn't tow like he wanted it to so he traded it in and got a 4-cylinder diesel truck that could tow more. So the OP started the thread and what do you expect? He made the comparison first. So let the comparison be made since the OP asked for it to be made.

BTW - In regards to the Chevy forum. You haven't visited any Chevy forums because they rag on the Japanese cars & trucks (Toyota, Nissan) ALL the time. Mazda is called a "girls" car and so on. They even took the "zoom zoom" slogan and made numerous derogatory comments that cannot be repeated here.

Last edited:
You say that, but the only comparison the OP really made from the start was the comfort of the seat.. while the stated reason for trading was a better towing platform. You (mostly) and others are the ones mentioning random aspects of GM, asking specific specs of the vehicle (presumably to make your own one-up comparison, because you really don't seem interested in the truck) then actually listing and posting specs of the CX-5/Colorado and comparing them. Any comparision made by woody was pretty much a response to someone elses question and pretty neutral at that. You act like this guy kicked your son off the baseball team for another player so you need to let him know his decision was flawed.

My point was to point out the silliness of some of the fanboyism in this thread. The OP never intended to trash the CX-5, rather explain that he was moving on and why. In doing so, he mentioned a few key points for doing so and referenced some features each vehicle offered. I found it informative and interesting and I certainly didn't feel my CX-5 was threatened or that I needed to defend its honor.

I like my CX-5, but I have not drank the Kool-Aid. I still value objectivity and yes, there are some things I do not like about my Mazda. If one cannot mention another vehicle or brand in a positive manner, then this forum is flawed for me.

BTW - In regards to the Chevy forum. You haven't visited any Chevy forums because they rag on the Japanese cars & trucks (Toyota, Nissan) ALL the time. Mazda is called a "girls" car and so on. They even took the "zoom zoom" slogan and made numerous derogatory comments that cannot be repeated here.

Is this your justification for the way you are behaving here? There is no need to be offended, and you don't have to justify why you think the CX-5 is better in XYZ category. We know you prefer it over the competition, it is the reason why you bought one. Copying and posting specs just makes you look spiteful against the OP for getting rid of his CX-5. And before you say, this is just internet chatter, it was, until you added 3 additional pages of comparisons and subjective matter.

facepalm-meme-gif-i9.png

Thanks for the support peeps.

I by no means disliked my CX5, heck I had 2 of them after all.

And to Lbear asking why I'm still here... as I believe I stated earlier in this thread, I have enjoyed being here, reading the lastest and greatest news, mods and just all around talk of the CX5. I didn't realize I had to delete my account and no longer show interest just because I no longer owned a CX5. I truly enjoyed owning my CX5 and had we not decided to purchase 4 wheelers I would surely still own it.

His points are not "valid" because he is comparing two vehicles with a different set of capabilities and market. If anything his points are subjective and when objective, usually irrelevant because they aren't even the same class of vehicle. What does "important factors" actually mean? It's pretty vague, and again subjective. What's important to me is not necessarily important to the next guy.

His points were totally valid. How in the world can you state otherwise. Yes, different classes of vehicles but the OP still was comparing them. I posted way back in the beginning that you can't compare them but in this case, post, we were. Not like you can't do it. But most people when buying car in 2016, they're looking at costs, mpg, reliability. Yes, those "important factors" that you failed to understand where I was getting at. That if you just search in google "important factors when buying a car", you get tons and tons of information. A lot of costs of car, mpg/fuel efficiency, reliability. So those important factors are not a vague statement. Just to you I guess.

But so that person that walks into the dealer and says I need mpg and good cost. Well the cx5 wins against the Colorado in those factors. Easily actually. Also in the other factors the Llbear stated. So yes, back to his points, they were 100% valid. However as you stated, everyone has different things that are more important than someone else. The OP #1 factor was towing capability after purchasing the 4 wheelers. So that factor there puts the Colorado on top. Totally understandable. But I can assure you, towing is a very very low on the list of "important factor" most people have when buying a car. So that's why I said the cx5 wins most important factors. To MOST people. Unfortunately, the OPs main factor wasn't really found in the cx5. That's okay. I'm glad he found what he needed. But don't deny the cx5 wins on many levels. And read around, I certainly have my complaints about the cx5. Fix that damn infotainment/navigation system!

His points were totally valid. How in the world can you state otherwise. Yes, different classes of vehicles but the OP still was comparing them. I posted way back in the beginning that you can't compare them but in this case, post, we were. Not like you can't do it.

But so that person that walks into the dealer and says I need mpg and good cost. Well the cx5 wins against the Colorado in those factors. Easily actually. Also in the other factors the Llbear stated. So yes, back to his points, they were 100% valid.

Thank you. I did NOT start this thread, the OP did. I have nothing against the OP, nothing at all. He started a thread stating he traded in his brand new CX5 for a Chevy Colorado. The OP started the thread and I just opined and made the comparison between the 2 vehicles. I used facts that showed the CX5 beats out the Colorado in all areas of driving, performance, costs, AWD, except in towing. The Colorado wins in towing, that's a fact.

Even before the OP made the trade for the Colorado I told the OP that the trailer he is using is NOT a good trailer. I don't care if he is towing with a Chevy Duramax 3500 dually that makes 800 FT.LBS of torque. I posted and told the OP that the trailer he has is not up to snuff on towing 2 ATVs. The trailer wheels (way too small) and the design of that trailer is not meant to properly carry the weight of 2 ATV's (no suspension). That trailer probably caused 80% of his towing problems when it was behind his CX5. The Colorado truck, due to its size and diesel engine, will mask the problems but it's not a proper trailer.

So as a breakdown:
A - The OP started this thread, not me
B - He made the comparison between the Colorado and the CX5
C - I followed up once C&D was able to test a Colorado diesel and I posted the specs
D - The CX5 beats the Colorado in all areas vs the Colorado, except for towing
E - I have no hard feelings or hate against the OP, I never attacked him personally, I was simply stating facts and specs on his thread and comparison

Last edited:
Back