Transmission failure

jcarlosfl

:
Mazda CX_5
Hi guys this is my first post as this is my 1st problem with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at only 5,500 miles my transmission got stuck in 1st gear car have been in the dealer for a week as they didn't have the transmission on stock and needed to wait for mazda to send one, my questions are: Anyone else with a similar problem? How common are for this transmission to just fail at low miles? Should I just try to get out of this lease?

Thank you for your help

We have seen several early transmission failures on 2016 CX-5's in this community. Even with a few number of complaints but I still don't like this failure rate as the number of CX-5's sold in the US is at the minimum in the compact CUV segment. On the other hand, I'd not get out of the lease if I were you, as we have 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty and that should cover catastrophic failures such as the one you just experienced. It adds hassle of going to dealer for repair but you at least should have a free loaner car, may be a nice Miata if you're lucky! :)

A few reports of '16 transmissions failing early. Very few 13-15's seem to have had early problems. A handful of reports of output bearing issues around 20-30k for 13-15, which a TSB addressed and a change in manufacturing starting in 2014. Generally, this is a very low rate of issues for a transmission if you compare other manufacturers.

We have seen several early transmission failures on 2016 CX-5's in this community. Even with a few number of complaints but I still don't like this failure rate as the number of CX-5's sold in the US is at the minimum in the compact CUV segment. On the other hand, I'd not get out of the lease if I were you, as we have 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty and that should cover catastrophic failures such as the one you just experienced. It adds hassle of going to dealer for repair but you at least should have a free loaner car, may be a nice Miata if you're lucky! :)

A free loaner would be expected, but not in Canada. I saw this on the Mazda Canada site just the other day and thought what the hell is that all about? If my vehicle is broken during the warranty period you don't get a loaner?

https://www.mazda.ca/en/owners/faq/

Why doesn't the dealer provide a courtesy vehicle when my vehicle is down?

Mazda Unlimited and Mazda New Vehicle Limited Warranty do not provide for a courtesy vehicle.

I think a free on site loaner will be part of future negotiations the next new car purchase. Mazda has a deal with the Enterprise rental and they shuttle you to and from but, it takes about 2 hours of wasted time. I want a free loaner that is on the dealer site to jump in and go and return to same and not some out-of-the -way rental place. Ed

Last edited:
The limited reports I have seen do not give me concern.

Other automakers have some far more widespread issues... you would think Honda would be wiser to the issue consider all the failed Acura and Accord transmissions in the early to mid 2000's.

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2015/10/consumer_reports_reveals_most.html

DETROIT — Elaborate new transmissions are helping automakers meet rising fuel economy standards, but they're also requiring more trips to the repair shop.

Transmission problems tripped up Honda, Nissan, Jeep and other brands in Consumer Reports' annual reliability survey. Drivers reported rough shifting, clutch failure and even transmissions that had to be replaced twice in the first year of car ownership.

Lexus and Toyota — which rely on older transmissions in many of their models — were the best-performing brands in the survey. Lexus or Toyota has topped the survey since 2011. Audi, Mazda and Subaru rounded out the top five. The worst performers were Infiniti, Cadillac, Ram, Jeep and Fiat among 28 brands.

Thank you guys I did get a free Loaner but I wasn't that lucky to get a Miata I just got the new 6 & right now I'm trying to get some free maintenance services

The limited reports I have seen do not give me concern.

Other automakers have some far more widespread issues... you would think Honda would be wiser to the issue consider all the failed Acura and Accord transmissions in the early to mid 2000's.

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2015/10/consumer_reports_reveals_most.html

DETROIT — Elaborate new transmissions are helping automakers meet rising fuel economy standards, but they're also requiring more trips to the repair shop.

Transmission problems tripped up Honda, Nissan, Jeep and other brands in Consumer Reports' annual reliability survey. Drivers reported rough shifting, clutch failure and even transmissions that had to be replaced twice in the first year of car ownership.

Lexus and Toyota — which rely on older transmissions in many of their models — were the best-performing brands in the survey. Lexus or Toyota has topped the survey since 2011. Audi, Mazda and Subaru rounded out the top five. The worst performers were Infiniti, Cadillac, Ram, Jeep and Fiat among 28 brands.

I wonder how many of those are using that ZF 9 speed. When I was shopping 3 years ago the press was shiny on it, but it was brand new. Now it seems to be saddled with many problems and complaints.

I wonder how many of those are using that ZF 9 speed. When I was shopping 3 years ago the press was shiny on it, but it was brand new. Now it seems to be saddled with many problems and complaints.
Yeap, Acura (another indication Honda is heading to wrong direction as they'd always designed their own transmission, not out-sourcing it) and Chrysler/Jeep, to name a few, are using this problematic ZF 9-speed AT.

Edmunds declares the ZF 9 speed a dud that ruins the car its in: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/renegad...-renegade-trailhawk-no-transmission-love.html

There is a difference between "does not shift to my liking": e.g. slow shifts, mediocre gear choices / shift points, "unacceptable behavior": e.g. grossly harsh shifts, very slow shifts and "broken": needing a tow truck to get a broken transmission replaced.
It is interesting that some TLX owners with this transmission reported issues of the 1st and 2nd kind, but it seems more recent owners are happy.

Back