New Rear Calipers Sticking After Being Replaced

ryanl

Hi Everyone,

I had my 2003 MS Protege parked while on vacation for a week and all of the brake fluid drained out of Rear Right caliper through the piston seal.

Since the calipers were the original that came with the car, I decided to replace them with brand new calipers (Raybestos RC11552/RC11551), pads, rotors, and flex hoses.

However, after replacing them, re-bleeding the system, and adjusting the ebrake, I am getting really bad brake drag on both calipers. It doesn't appear to be an ebrake adjustment issue as the drag doesn't occur until I press on the brake pedal. If I retract the piston (by turning it) and put the caliper back on I can engage and dis-engage the ebrake without the drag occurring, it is not until I press on the brake pedal that the drag occurs. The drag is significant and is not driveable.

One thing that I did notice was that the vacuum bleeder seemed to struggle to pull the brake fluid through the back calipers. Should I try to bleed using the brake pedal method to flush and potential blockages out?

Any ideas are appreciated as I am stumped as to why this is happening.

Thanks!
-RyanL

Last edited:
Back