Issues with my P5 rear bumper

P5freek

:
2002 Protege5
I think i have bad rear trailing arms.

See my last post with an update on this.

Last edited:
Is the brackets on the right that are making noise

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 173
the only things i can imagine that would be loose would be the foam insert on the bumper.. under there are some stiffeners that might have broke. maybe the retainers broke or maybe you have a clunking suspension part thats conveniently showing up now. if the muffler was floating it would knock on stuff. if you tore a hanger.. its hard to say without seeing but there isnt a lot back there to mess up. i backed into a truck and dented my hatch. completely missing the easily replacable plastic bumper cause i was too low lol.. but there is no knocking.. you imght check INSIDE the hatch for stuff that might have got dislodged..

but yea.. pics..

if they are broken.. replace them.

A drill andsome zap straps will fixthat good as new.

So I think its my rear trailing arm, i've been in school with no time to look at it. but it seems like i have a lot of play from the arm where it mounts to the body behind the passenger seat. I lifted the car up and moved the arm with my hand back and forth very easily between the brace. i think the bushings are bad. would this cause a knocking noise on the car when i hit bumps and at speed between 50 and 60 mph, if the bushings are bad? I know my tires are bad I can use new shocks but i have to start somewhere, for a 150k it needs everything you would expect.

Absolutely this would cause a knocking noise...I would replace both of the bushing on both sides to "reset" the suspension back to the same point in time, so to speak. Meaning so they are both wearing at the same rate. If you replace one, but not the other then you are stressing the weaker part to eventually break. A bad bushing could affect braking, accelerating, cornering and general ride quality, plus you might wear out your tires faster too. Its easy replacement you should be able to handle with simple hand tools and a jack. I would replace the whole arm to start fresh. I dont know if the Megan racing trailing arms are still available, but at least stock would be a good idea. Good Luck! PLease update us....

So The Megan ones are still available, but is it that huge of an upgrade, for econo end links and econo arms from kragens its 90 bucks, The Megan arms are 118 but I do not know shipping, I would love to buy them but I do not have a ton of money right now. Im torn, I do like the look of the beefy bushings on the performance ones vs the stockers. I would replace both sides and the end links while I am under the car.. I have an excellent set of tools lol (fast times as Ridgemont high joke)

I'd say the Megans are worth it if you want some camber adjustment and the ability to push the wheels out a little bit. You do have to get all 4 if you want them though. They have stiffer bushings.

Im not Jerry the race car driver, I think ill get the stock trailing arms and upgrade someday when I do new shocks and springs

I ordered the new trailing arms they should be replaced soon. Friday afternoon most likely. The new arms are so much better bushing wise.

Its Fixed!!! my trailing arms were soooo bad. No more knocking, I kept driving waiting to hear it but silence!!

20160409_111833_zpsdwyxqygp.jpg

20160409_110323_zpsogcubdrb.jpg

Damn, missed this thread. Have oems in good shape you coulda had cheaper after going GtSpec on mine quite awhile back. Glad that's what it was and now it's good..................

Back