Strange noise

X-Tanker

:
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
This has been happening since at least last winter. When the car is parked outside for a prolonged time in cold temps (say 20F or below), when I start to drive there is a squeal/squeak noise coming from somewhere up front. It only happens just as I first accelerate and then it never happens again during that drive. I know trying to explain a random noise is next to impossible, so I attached a video. Noise happens at the 4 sec mark. Temp was 17F and car had been outside about 9 hours. I park in a garage at home so it only happens as I'm leaving work. Doesn't seem to affect driving/shifting. Any ideas??

sounds like you have a bird in your undercarriage :). Actually, maybe your front sway bar bushings squeaking? If you drive over a speed bump, does it squeak? Another thought, is your defroster turned on? If the airconditioner runs when the defroster turns on, it could be the belt/clutch squealing?

I replaced the front sway bar bushings about two years ago (they did squeak when it got cold out). No squeaking since so I'm pretty confident those aren't the source. I did have the heat turned on, but not the defroster. I'm starting to think it's something with the transmission.

Maybe an HVAC door changing position to redirect airflow as the air temp rises?
Try the same situation with the HVAC completely off and see if you still hear it.

I would rule out the AC belt as I have never heard the belt slip sounding like that. It sounds like a dry linkage articulating to me. Do you have your climate control in "auto" when you hear the sound?

No, it wasn't on auto. I only use auto in the summer for the AC. Today was a bit warmer, so car did not make the noise this afternoon.

I use auto all the time (unless I'm using the defrost...)
Did you have the front defrost on? I wonder if the car waits for the air to warm to a certain point before directing any on the front windshield? I haven't had mine long enough to know, but I know there's a little blue dash light that tells me the coolant isn't warm enough to warm the air when I first start it.

I'd be interested to know if that little blue light goes off right around the time that sound occurs.

The defrost was not on, I had it set to dash and floor vents. Mine does not have that blue light.

The first gen cars with auto climate control do not put out hardly any air until the water temp is above 125 degrees in winter. We don't have a dash light, I think that was as a response to customers complaining about the HVAC "not working" with the engine cold. Also, didn't the temp gauge disappear on the second or third gen cars? X Tanker, I wish I could be more help, its hard to judge what the sound could be without hearing it first person. I can hear what the sound "sounds" like in your video, but have no reference for where it is coming from...

That's ok, I appreciate the suggestions. I'm not too concerned about it since it only happens in really cold temps, so only a couple times a winter. I realize that since it only happens once on a drive it's close to impossible to pinpoint it. Dropping it off at a dealer is also not an option since the closest one is an hour away and I'd have to leave it overnight (when it's cold) and hope it makes the noise in the morning.

That sounds like the a/c compressor clutch slipping a bit on engagement with the engine under load. Once it warms up it stops. If you're running the defrost the compressor engages to help dry out the interior air. Try it once with the hvac completely off. If it still does it then its something else.

That was going to be my next test, but since the day I took that video it hasn't been cold enough. Has to be parked outside all day at temps below 20 or else it won't happen. I think those days are behind us this winter so looks like I'll be waiting until next winter to try that.

No, it wasn't on auto. I only use auto in the summer for the AC. Today was a bit warmer, so car did not make the noise this afternoon.

Keep in mind that the compressor is running on the auto models unless you specifically have the air flow directed to face and feet, even when it says A/C is off.

It would be interesting to see if you can post some more vids. That one you posted; wow that's mysterious for sure.

You may have said this, but can you even tell what direction it's coming from and whether it's in the dash or engine compartment?

That sounds like the a/c compressor clutch slipping a bit on engagement with the engine under load. Once it warms up it stops. If you're running the defrost the compressor engages to help dry out the interior air. Try it once with the hvac completely off. If it still does it then its something else.

Completely off and with it set to blow on face and feet.

Nah, you're in Indiana. You can't count those days as behind you until you're well into April. :)

Well I have seen it snow in April, but that's a rarity. Certainly not those really cold temps though. Supposed to be in the 60's by this Friday.
DSCN2417_zpsndl3ghby.jpg

Keep in mind that the compressor is running on the auto models unless you specifically have the air flow directed to face and feet, even when it says A/C is off.

It would be interesting to see if you can post some more vids. That one you posted; wow that's mysterious for sure.

You may have said this, but can you even tell what direction it's coming from and whether it's in the dash or engine compartment?

I would like to get another video, but it just hasn't been cold enough anymore. Dashcam is always running, so I hopefully will get it next time (whenever that may be). Definately sound like it's coming from outside the car. Since it's so brief and happens only once it's very hard to narrow it's location down.

Back